PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Trying to decide on a new DD, help pls

m3dic8d
02-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide on a new DD since my last one pooped out. Driving the Z to work every day is killing me with gas, so I'm trying to figure out what kind of DD I should get for ~$3500. So far my ideas are e30 BMW, e34 BMW (I think that's the 5 series from the gen of e30?), s14 240 (if you can even find these for my range), miata. I'm not really picky about pretty much anything other than it running and getting decent gas mileage and not taking premium lol.

What do you guys think, of the ones listed? And also I'm very open to suggestions of what you would think I should add to the list of ones I'm looking for! I really just want something with potential to look nice (slammed on 15's with nice fitment is what I'm looking for on my DD).

Logan
02-26-2010, 12:44 PM
E30 hands down IMO.

You could great a great condition one for $3500, and those cars will outlive you if you change the oil and timing belt.

OnURleft
02-26-2010, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't get an E30 because
1. they don't get good gas mileage
2. once you realize it's more fun then your Z, you won't be driving it slow

My E34 535i got 17mpg city babying it, 22 on the highway. My E30 is about the same but I rarely drive it slow

I'd look into used TDI Golfs. With some suspension work they are a blast to drive and are almost impossible to get poor mileage in.

Logan
02-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't get an E30 because
1. they don't get good gas mileage
2. once you realize it's more fun then your Z, you won't be driving it slow

My E34 535i got 17mpg city babying it, 22 on the highway. My E30 is about the same but I rarely drive it slow

I'd look into used TDI Golfs. With some suspension work they are a blast to drive and are almost impossible to get poor mileage in.

2nd point is so true :D

Elbow
02-26-2010, 07:44 PM
I'd get an E30 but a 325E...mine got insane gas mileage.

They last forever, you don't even have to change belts or oil and they still last forever.

OnURleft
02-26-2010, 11:42 PM
I'd get an E30 but a 325E...mine got insane gas mileage.

They last forever, you don't even have to change belts or oil and they still last forever.

Actually, the E's do get really god gas mileage. I was referring to I's because I just prefer high revving motors unless i'm diesel pwwwwrrd

Elbow
02-27-2010, 06:17 AM
Yeah me too, gotta love the E torque though. Makes an I look like it's stopped until 60. lol

MongolPup
02-27-2010, 11:28 AM
$3500 s14 240

Not a good one no.

Echonova
02-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Not a good one no.X2. It would be hard to find a decent S13 that hasn't been beat to shit for that price. Plus gas mileage on a 240 isn't that great...

MongolPup
02-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Not to mention they are slow as balls from the factory.

Logan
02-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Get a e30 318i/is.

Done deal. Timing chain, DOHC, fun to drive, and great gas mileage to boot!

m3dic8d
02-27-2010, 11:12 PM
Okay, so it looks like I'm torn between an e30 and a Miata. Both have pluses, but a convertible would be pretty nice...so that's making me lean toward that. It'll probably just end up being whatever one I find a deal on first!

OnURleft
02-28-2010, 04:18 AM
Okay, so it looks like I'm torn between an e30 and a Miata. Both have pluses, but a convertible would be pretty nice...so that's making me lean toward that. It'll probably just end up being whatever one I find a deal on first!

then get a convertible e30

Elbow
02-28-2010, 07:04 AM
Miatas do not get good gas mileage especially on the interstate, 70mph you're cruising at like 4000RPM.

318I will blow head gaskets left and right,other then that they're decent. Is this E30 318 or E36?E36 in general has higher repair cost but still not expensive.

I still say 325E. Great gas mileage, brick reliability, torque, and cheaper then a Civic to repair. Plus much cheaper then a Miata to find. Miatas hold value very well, remember early model Miatas have short nose cranks which can fail early. Although it's not PROMISED as mine was a short nose and never failed even with my stand alone running at 9,000RPM redline LOL.

m3dic8d
02-28-2010, 07:51 AM
Miatas do not get good gas mileage especially on the interstate, 70mph you're cruising at like 4000RPM.

318I will blow head gaskets left and right,other then that they're decent. Is this E30 318 or E36?E36 in general has higher repair cost but still not expensive.

I still say 325E. Great gas mileage, brick reliability, torque, and cheaper then a Civic to repair. Plus much cheaper then a Miata to find. Miatas hold value very well, remember early model Miatas have short nose cranks which can fail early. Although it's not PROMISED as mine was a short nose and never failed even with my stand alone running at 9,000RPM redline LOL.
lol that is a good point about the gas mileage I didn't think about that. If I got an e30, it would definitely be a 325... I had a 318 e36 and it was so slow that it felt like a chore to drive.

roscoe
02-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Have u considered a mk2 gti?? hella fun to drive and really good on gas.

Echonova
02-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Get a Miata. Bitches love them.

So do gay guys, so that's a downside... But if you are secure in your man-hood they are great.

Elbow
02-28-2010, 07:58 PM

So do gay guys, so that's a downside... But if you are secure in your man-hood they are great.

That's how you separate the man and the boys, men can drive a Miata, boys are unsure and are scared.

MongolPup
03-01-2010, 05:30 AM
4k at 70? What's the final drive?

m3dic8d
03-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Have u considered a mk2 gti?? hella fun to drive and really good on gas.

I really don't like GTIs...I've never been a big fan of VWs

Haha man I don't care, I'll only be driving this to work mainly. My only concern now... is will I even fit in a Miata? I'm 6'1"

skacore
03-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Get a crx, fun to drive, reliable and great on gas.

OnURleft
03-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Haha man I don't care, I'll only be driving this to work mainly. My only concern now... is will I even fit in a Miata? I'm 6'1"

When I think DD, I think practicality. When I think Miata...you finish.

Doppelgänger
03-02-2010, 08:12 AM

Short nose crank was only for the first half of 1990..after that there were no mechanical problems until some of the 1999 cars that had mis-spec'ed thrust bearings.

Although driving at 4k sounds bad, it still nets well over 30mpg. I've regularly hit well over 300 miles to 10/10.5 gal of gas on interstate trips running between 3,700 and 4,200 rpm...even been to the 400mi mark.

Doppelgänger
03-02-2010, 08:14 AM

And BMW screams "COCK!"

your point?

But then again, I've never owned a stock Miata. Stock sucks....comparing my car to a stock Miata is like comparing a 911 Carrera to a 911 GT2.

:gay:

m3dic8d
03-02-2010, 05:35 PM

If you're thinking gay man's car, I don't really care about that. It's a second car, a third vehicle.

Short nose crank was only for the first half of 1990..after that there were no mechanical problems until some of the 1999 cars that had mis-spec'ed thrust bearings.

Although driving at 4k sounds bad, it still nets well over 30mpg. I've regularly hit well over 300 miles to 10/10.5 gal of gas on interstate trips running between 3,700 and 4,200 rpm...even been to the 400mi mark.

Sounds good, but will I fit?!? lol. Of course the only way to really tell is to sit in one, but an idea?

roscoe
03-02-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm 6ft and it fits me just fine

Nerdsrock22
03-02-2010, 06:54 PM
If gas is the problem, why don't you buy something that was made for practical driving instead of a 10 year old roadster or European luxury car?

Elbow
03-02-2010, 06:56 PM
If gas is the problem, why don't you buy something that was made for practical driving instead of a 10 year old roadster or European luxury car?

LMFAO at 325E being a European luxury car.

Nerdsrock22
03-02-2010, 07:00 PM
LMFAO at 325E being a European luxury car.

Generalities, sir, generalities.

JITB
03-02-2010, 07:09 PM
when i think daily driver i dont think none of those cars...

get a good running non IA honda.. and be done with it.. automatic and no vtec, fill it up with 18$ change the oil, when it needs to be... and keep it moving! Get a good alarm to be safe.

Nerdsrock22
03-02-2010, 07:20 PM

get a good running non IA honda.. and be done with it.. automatic and no vtec, fill it up with 18$ change the oil, when it needs to be... and keep it moving! Get a good alarm to be safe.

This is a DD. Except get a manual, no reason to punish yourself.

Elbow
03-02-2010, 07:36 PM

An E30 fits that as well except nobody wants to steal an E30 and it's easier to work on.

Nerdsrock22
03-02-2010, 07:48 PM
An E30 fits that as well except nobody wants to steal an E30 and it's easier to work on.

I've had 6 Hondas in my life and have never had one break-in/theft attempt.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/vehicle-pictures/2001/honda/civic/01802031990002-480.jpg

And if you live in a neighborhood where you stay awake at night worrying about something like this ^ getting stolen, it's time to consider a move.

Elbow
03-02-2010, 07:52 PM
I've had 6 Hondas in my life and have never had one break-in/theft attempt.

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/vehicle-pictures/2001/honda/civic/01802031990002-480.jpg

And if you live in a neighborhood where you stay awake at night worrying about something like this ^ getting stolen, it's time to consider a move.

Congrats, I've owned seven or eight and have also never been robbed. I never even locked a few of them. I know though stupid kids love Hondas and steal even the dumbest ones.

Nerdsrock22
03-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Congrats, I've owned seven or eight and have also never been robbed. I never even locked a few of them. I know though stupid kids love Hondas and steal even the dumbest ones.

I'll tell my Grandma to put a club on the Ody. :D

jettanom
03-02-2010, 09:01 PM
I'll tell my Grandma to put a club on the Ody. :D

hehehe. good one.

JITB
03-02-2010, 09:23 PM

they arent easier to work on.. its not rocket science to work on an E30.. but in reality how much will you be working on your honda over an old E30. And just being old and lacking creature comforts.. E30 arent the most spacious cars either.

m3dic8d
03-02-2010, 09:28 PM

Because I'm immature and would like to have another toy? lol. I drive 70 miles to work back and forth daily, and right now I get 20mpg in my Z but the premium gas is killing me. So really anything that doesn't take premium is a big step up, plus the Miata gets really good gas mileage? I woulda thought that was made for practical driving :crazy:

I'm 6ft and it fits me just fine

Thanks dude, that's what I was looking for.

Bah, that's probably the best idea...but also no fun! lol.

JITB
03-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Because I'm immature and would like to have another toy? lol. I drive 70 miles to work back and forth daily, and right now I get 20mpg in my Z but the premium gas is killing me. So really anything that doesn't take premium is a big step up, plus the Miata gets really good gas mileage? I woulda thought that was made for practical driving :crazy:

Thanks dude, that's what I was looking for.

Bah, that's probably the best idea...but also no fun! lol.

u got to clarify u want fun.. or u want a daily?

m3dic8d
03-02-2010, 09:34 PM
u got to clarify u want fun.. or u want a daily?
No, you were right. I want a daily...but I was just thinking the convertible would be nice. 4 door is more practical. I just can't think of any 4 doors in the price range that I don't hate

Mantooth
03-02-2010, 09:35 PM
A Miata doesn't seem like a very practical daily driver, imo.

m3dic8d
03-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Why not? I would understand if more was required than toting me to and from work, but that's all I need it for really. That, and a primary on my insurance so my Z doesn't rape me.

I'm open to suggestions of 4 doors that don't suck. i.e. no 90's Civics (I don't like the 4 door body)

Doppelgänger
03-02-2010, 09:49 PM

I daily mine...but then again, i've had 2-seater cars since I've had a license and wouldn't know what to do with a larger car. Besides, a good way to keep friends is to know who has what car and borrow it when needed :boobies:
(I finally bought a 5x8 trailer and use it when needed :crazy:)

m3dic8d
03-02-2010, 10:14 PM
I daily mine...but then again, i've had 2-seater cars since I've had a license and wouldn't know what to do with a larger car. Besides, a good way to keep friends is to know who has what car and borrow it when needed :boobies:
(I finally bought a 5x8 trailer and use it when needed :crazy:)
This. I've never had anything but 2 seaters really... any time I need more we take someone else's car.

Doppel your car is what makes me consider a Miata, best looking one I've seen.

JITB
03-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Infiniti G20
http://image.automotive.com/f/powerpages/9646862+pheader/impp_0311_01_z+1999_infinity_g20+side_view.jpg

mazda protege
http://www.bridgeportmotors.ca/03%20Mazda%20Protege%20ES(87k).JPG

4door integra..
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/autoreview/400x266/1994-2001-Acura-Integra-95801011990105.jpg

galant
http://manual-book.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/800px-jagvars_galant.jpg

maxima (SE 5spd leather if u get lucky)
http://nissan-maxima.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/nissan-maxima.jpg

Elbow
03-03-2010, 06:39 AM
they arent easier to work on.. its not rocket science to work on an E30.. but in reality how much will you be working on your honda over an old E30. And just being old and lacking creature comforts.. E30 arent the most spacious cars either.

They ARE easier to work on, ever owned or worked on one? RWD means easier, lots of engine room, it's a very easy car to work on.

An E30 and Civic are equally as reliable so you're going to be working on them the same amount. Basically none.

E30's also have a lot more comforts then a Civic. You get powersteering, power windows, locks, sometimes leather, a/c, heat, real adjustable seats if you have the sport seats, informative gauges, anything a Civic gets and then some. :screwy: Where are you living? lolol. E30's also have tons of space and a HUGE trunk.

Have you even seen an E30? :lmfao::thinking:

JITB
03-03-2010, 11:10 AM
They ARE easier to work on, ever owned or worked on one? RWD means easier, lots of engine room, it's a very easy car to work on.

An E30 and Civic are equally as reliable so you're going to be working on them the same amount. Basically none.

E30's also have a lot more comforts then a Civic. You get powersteering, power windows, locks, sometimes leather, a/c, heat, real adjustable seats if you have the sport seats, informative gauges, anything a Civic gets and then some. :screwy: Where are you living? lolol. E30's also have tons of space and a HUGE trunk.

Have you even seen an E30? :lmfao::thinking:

I have worked on bmws more than mazdas. and are the cars I s learned on. and e30s are old. and bmws are always 5 years behind with their interior designs.
they have the basics yes. but all those electronics on the gauge cluster will more than likely not work.

e30s are very small cars and not comfortable at all. and the seats are bad quality and didn't age well. its like sitting in a cardboard.
rwd does have its advantages for repair. but id prefer to repair a civic over a e30. prime example the starter replacement on a e30 is a pain in the ass days work.

and repairing another car will always be cheaper that the e30.

they are good cars but I don't see them as good daily driven cars. they don't hold their age well.

Elbow
03-03-2010, 04:38 PM
I have worked on bmws more than mazdas. and are the cars I s learned on. and e30s are old. and bmws are always 5 years behind with their interior designs.
they have the basics yes. but all those electronics on the gauge cluster will more than likely not work.

e30s are very small cars and not comfortable at all. and the seats are bad quality and didn't age well. its like sitting in a cardboard.
rwd does have its advantages for repair. but id prefer to repair a civic over a e30. prime example the starter replacement on a e30 is a pain in the ass days work.

and repairing another car will always be cheaper that the e30.

they are good cars but I don't see them as good daily driven cars. they don't hold their age well.

You must of had lots of duds, I NEVER had a issue with any of my E30's and neither have my friends except one where the motor was haunted but even then it was easy to keep swapping motors and timing belts.

As for the interior I had sport seats and loved them, it was a DD and they were just as good as reclineable Sparcos or something.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion, I've had tons of Hondas and E30's and would rather work on an E30, parts cost the same amount, everything is easy to get to and remove, it's just a better engineered car.

Like I said though working on an E30 isn't that common.

JITB
03-03-2010, 07:55 PM
You must of had lots of duds, I NEVER had a issue with any of my E30's and neither have my friends except one where the motor was haunted but even then it was easy to keep swapping motors and timing belts.

As for the interior I had sport seats and loved them, it was a DD and they were just as good as reclineable Sparcos or something.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion, I've had tons of Hondas and E30's and would rather work on an E30, parts cost the same amount, everything is easy to get to and remove, it's just a better engineered car.

Like I said though working on an E30 isn't that common.

well naw, they all havent been garbage. To me e30s just dont age well. Good cars overall, but not very daily worthy to my standards.

but if we talk e34 540 740/50 series.. than im in love!