PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods High Pressure Fuel Pump?

Slomaro Z28
02-26-2010, 07:55 AM
My current fuel pump won't reach the bottom of my tank. I have called Summit and they have the Walbro 255 in stock for my car. But the only one they sell is the "high pressure", are all civic pumps high pressure?

Here is my set-up, just wondering if this pump will be ok.

'98 Civic
B18b1 swap
T3/T4 turbo
660 cc Inj.
255 FP (unsure which one)
Tuned @ 11psi on Chrome

turbomirage
02-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Get the Walbro 255 high pressure. Don't get the low pressure garbage... my friend had the low pressure in his car and his car had problems with leaning out.

Slomaro Z28
02-26-2010, 09:53 AM
I mean that shouldn't have an effect on the tune should it? It was tuned with a 255 lph, so I should be good right?

turbomirage
02-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Walbro makes two different 255 pumps... I don't know why they do, seems pointless to me... but they do. If the Walbro 255 from Summit is made for your Honda, and it is a high pressure one, then that is the one to get. The only way to tell if it has any effect on your tune is by reading your A/F on the dyno. If anything, it will dump more fuel than you had before at certain rpms, so you will be ok. You might be running a little richer at first, but then you can tune it accordingly. You just have to dyno it and see...

Slomaro Z28
02-27-2010, 08:44 AM
bump, anyone have any info on the tuning.....if I go with the HP pump will I need to be re-tuned?

miro_gt
02-27-2010, 12:18 PM
bump, anyone have any info on the tuning.....if I go with the HP pump will I need to be re-tuned?

your wideband will tell that much better than anybody from the forum :D

B18c1Turboed
02-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Just turn down the fuel presure.... :)

miro_gt
02-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Get the Walbro 255 high pressure. Don't get the low pressure garbage... my friend had the low pressure in his car and his car had problems with leaning out.

weak statement.

when saying something like that you better point out the changes in pressure that the pump delivered over the RPM range vs same setup with the high pressure pump. Because leaning out could be due to so many reasons, such as: not big enough injectors; crappy fuel pressure regulator; crappy tune of the setup; bend fuel lines; hell even not big enough power wires to the fuel pump itself .... and more.

but fuel is always good to have, so it wont hurt to get the high pressure pump. Some high-impedanze injectors dont like higher pressure though, wo watch out

Slomaro Z28
02-27-2010, 12:58 PM
your wideband will tell that much better than anybody from the forum :D

If I had one:(. I just got the car, looking into one soon though. And I do have high imp. injectors....

turbomirage
02-28-2010, 12:22 AM
weak statement.

when saying something like that you better point out the changes in pressure that the pump delivered over the RPM range vs same setup with the high pressure pump. Because leaning out could be due to so many reasons, such as: not big enough injectors; crappy fuel pressure regulator; crappy tune of the setup; bend fuel lines; hell even not big enough power wires to the fuel pump itself .... and more.

but fuel is always good to have, so it wont hurt to get the high pressure pump. Some high-impedanze injectors dont like higher pressure though, wo watch out

I was there at the dyno and I witnessed him going lean... were you there? No. But maybe you could tell me what his set-up is, since you knew what happened?

He did not change his set-up at all. Same injectors, same tune, same everything. Which was doing fine and running a good A/F when he had the HP Walbro 255 in his car. He accidently swapped in a low pressure Walbro 255 and he ran lean... dangerously lean.

The OP will need to just need to watch his A/F on the dyno. No one can tell him what needs to be done or how his car will run. Only the dyno will tell...

B18c1Turboed
02-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Only the dyno will tell...

Or driving on the street with a wideband!!!

SPOOLIN
02-28-2010, 03:25 PM
install pump, set pressure to where it was before, done.

Slomaro Z28
03-02-2010, 11:17 AM
install pump, set pressure to where it was before, done.

Ok well I don't have a FPR as of now. If I get one, install it with the old pump.....then install the new pump and set the pressure to where it was with the old pump?

leroy12
03-02-2010, 01:04 PM
i got the same question as slomaro. i just bought a walbro 255 hp fuel pump and i am running 440cc injectors with a phearable basemap set to run with a stock fuel pump. would it be ok to do as u have already stated and install the new fuel pump and just set my fuel pressure back to normal?

SPOOLIN
03-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Ok well I don't have a FPR as of now. If I get one, install it with the old pump.....then install the new pump and set the pressure to where it was with the old pump?

actually the only way to do this is if you have a gauge, so you can see what your pressure is before you put an adjustable regulator and a different fuel pump on so you can put it where it was.

Catnip
03-02-2010, 11:49 PM
I was there at the dyno and I witnessed him going lean... were you there? No. But maybe you could tell me what his set-up is, since you knew what happened?

He did not change his set-up at all. Same injectors, same tune, same everything. Which was doing fine and running a good A/F when he had the HP Walbro 255 in his car. He accidently swapped in a low pressure Walbro 255 and he ran lean... dangerously lean.

The OP will need to just need to watch his A/F on the dyno. No one can tell him what needs to be done or how his car will run. Only the dyno will tell...

Did he happen to change the sock when he changed the pumps?

NovaScotia
03-05-2010, 12:52 PM
as sweet as 17:1 may be, adj. FPR is where its at.

Slomaro Z28
03-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Alright, I have a gauge to check my current pressure. Will this work to set my pressure? I don't really have $200 ATM for a Adj. FPR. The only pump I can find for a civic is a high pressure. I have ordered GSS-342 and the install kit and need to know about the pressure.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-46057/

SPOOLIN
03-10-2010, 10:21 PM
yes it will work to set the pressure.

Linchmob
04-11-2010, 06:56 AM
get the Walbro, I have a Walbro 255lhp in my car. It has the potential to pump massive fuel but will pump what you need. MAKE SURE it's a true Walbro though, dont buy the ebay specials (fake and will fail quickly) Make sure you know the seller sells the real deal.

RJ's325ITS
04-12-2010, 12:05 AM
^^^ True

Also walbros have a short life (2-5yrs).

Gorilla Eg!
04-12-2010, 01:09 AM
bought the high pressure pump for my del sol, works great....a great buy IMO