PDA

View Full Version : timing issue

4wslude
02-25-2010, 07:55 PM
I just bought a 89 civic it will run with the cam 4 teeth off but when I put it in the correct time it will not run its just back fires. It has spark and fuel but will not start pm redneckhatch because I dont have internet

88civic_hatc
02-26-2010, 06:19 PM
if its backfireing the timing is off. do a compression check might have bent valves

Barefoot
02-26-2010, 06:26 PM
if its backfireing the timing is off. do a compression check might have bent valves
yah that would be my best guess also.

redneckhatch
02-26-2010, 10:04 PM

We did the compression test and they all read 170. The valves were just replaced.

preferredduck
02-28-2010, 01:24 AM
We did the compression test and they all read 170. The valves were just replaced.

the pulleys could be lined up wrong maybe?? 4 teeth off is alot for it to run.

xdavidscenex
02-28-2010, 01:58 AM
did you alighn the crank pulley to tdc with the cam? just sayin not in offense but idk anyones skill level on ia. just throwin it out there

Batlground
02-28-2010, 09:30 PM
did you alighn the crank pulley to tdc with the cam? just sayin not in offense but idk anyones skill level on ia. just throwin it out there

Yes, check the whole mechanical timing setup. Verify that cylinder number one is at top dead center by using a small rod to check that the piston is as far up in the cylinder as possible. Then set the ignition timing. If you still have a problem and the compression and leakdown are good then you may have a bad distributor.

4wslude
03-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Yes, check the whole mechanical timing setup. Verify that cylinder number one is at top dead center by using a small rod to check that the piston is as far up in the cylinder as possible. Then set the ignition timing. If you still have a problem and the compression and leakdown are good then you may have a bad distributor.

ok i did a compression test amd got 70 to 95 psi and put a long screw driver in number on and all the marks are right but when it runs 4 teeth off itsmoe when you get on when you get on it and i dont know how to do a leakdown test

Batlground
03-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Make sure you do a compression test with the mechanical timing set correctly. You have to have a leakdown tester to do the leakdown test. We have one here if you want to come in and get it done for $89.