PDA

View Full Version : Got Fired Today.... Can Anyone Help?

DaMaGe ZWK
10-31-2005, 07:31 AM
about 3 weeks ago i was helping a friend move a motor at a shop...(not my workplace) my dumbass didnt pick it up the right way and ended up getting a hernia... Well i go to the doctor and he tells me im gonna have to have surgery.. blah blah blah, so a week later i go into surgery get it fixed and im out of work for 2 weeks... have the note that ive been disabled and im released from the doctor... told my work place that i would be out of work and everything, and they were fine with that... got up and went to work this morning... first thing call me in the office and let me go... WTF? So is there anything i can do about this? I need help asap... got bills due...

civic95
10-31-2005, 07:40 AM
Thats bullshit man, I'm sorry to hear that. I would contact the Dept of Labor, and find out if they are or aren't breaking any laws by doing that. I know they can't fire you if your on disability, but as far as I know they can do it once you return to work (but that is BS). Actually I wouldn't even want to work there anymore after that. They obviously could careless about their employees.

DaMaGe ZWK
10-31-2005, 07:59 AM
yeah i dont wanna work there anymore after this, but i wanted to find out if that was against the law and what i needed to do about my health insurance...

civic95
10-31-2005, 08:10 AM
Did they fire you or lay you off?

DaMaGe ZWK
10-31-2005, 08:12 AM
the exact words were..... let me go...

4dmin
10-31-2005, 08:23 AM
what compnay if you don't mind me asking?

civic95
10-31-2005, 09:09 AM
the exact words were..... let me go...

Well although this is not much of a consolation, you should be eligible for unemployment.

IntegraXTR
10-31-2005, 09:41 AM
Well although this is not much of a consolation, you should be eligible for unemployment.

yes due to injury you should get unemployment, what about workman compensation?

quickdodge®
10-31-2005, 11:46 AM
If he didn't hurt himself on his own job, then the state or his employer owes him nothing. Later, QD.

Brett
10-31-2005, 12:10 PM
what about workman compensation?

Nope, You didnt get hurt on the job.

thinkfast®
10-31-2005, 12:34 PM
you could still collect I would think. I mean its nothing the employer caused true, but the grounds on which you were let go have nothing negative to do (i.e theft, violence etc..)

As long as that is the case you should be ok?

quickdodge®
10-31-2005, 01:31 PM
I believe GA has a "fire at will" type policy, though. They can fire him for not having his laces tied. Later, QD.

PSINXS
10-31-2005, 02:00 PM
they could claim he got fired cuz of downsizing. my friend got fired for that and the company already had an ad in the paper to replace her. she was replaced the next day.

HiPSI
10-31-2005, 02:06 PM
he can collect unemployment, just not workman's comp.

DaMaGe ZWK
10-31-2005, 02:43 PM
what compnay if you don't mind me asking?
nissan in rome ga

soxfan30
10-31-2005, 02:56 PM
In terms of health insurance and stuff, you should be able to file for Cobra if your company offers that option. At least for the time being while you look for another job or whatever, you'll have some sort of insurance. Look into it.

Jaimecbr900
11-01-2005, 09:15 AM
A lot of good advice here.

You can't file for workman's comp because you weren't hurt on the job and there is an easy way of them knowing that.

You can probably file for unemployment, although the employer can fight you for it. Most of the time they don't, but I've seen it happen where they do and WIN even after firing you.

Depending on how long you had insurance with them, you should be eligible for Cobra for X amt of time or when you get new insurance (which ever comes first). You will still have to pay for it, but it's insurance nonetheless.

The first place I'd go to is across the street at the competition. It will be easier for you to pick up and go at the competitor's place than it is to totally switch carreer paths. Besides, if you completely switch carreers they are more likely to scrutinize your resume, i.e. you'll run into reference issues possibly. I wouldn't necessarily volunteer how all this went down to a new prospective employer, but if asked you should be honest to avoid problems.

Good luck.

DaMaGe ZWK
11-01-2005, 09:20 AM
so your saying that the employer usually wins? ive never been written up, absent or gotten into trouble... how do you file for cobra/

Jaimecbr900
11-01-2005, 09:41 AM
so your saying that the employer usually wins? ive never been written up, absent or gotten into trouble... how do you file for cobra/

No, I'm not saying that at all. But I am saying that sometimes unemployment isn't automatic either. In your case it may be (and IMO it should be) but I'm just warning you that I've seen some strange things happen before. Just be sure and have all your ducks in a row and documentation ready just in case.

You should receive your Cobra eligibility package from your employer soon. If not, I'd call HR and ask them about it.

DaMaGe ZWK
11-01-2005, 11:00 AM
ok thanks man

PD code 805D
11-08-2005, 10:32 AM
about 3 weeks ago i was helping a friend move a motor at a shop...(not my workplace) my dumbass didnt pick it up the right way and ended up getting a hernia... Well i go to the doctor and he tells me im gonna have to have surgery.. blah blah blah, so a week later i go into surgery get it fixed and im out of work for 2 weeks... have the note that ive been disabled and im released from the doctor... told my work place that i would be out of work and everything, and they were fine with that... got up and went to work this morning... first thing call me in the office and let me go... WTF? So is there anything i can do about this? I need help asap... got bills due...

similar thing happened to my mom....... She now has been outta work for about 6 years and doesnt plan on going back. She has a 600,000$ house in the alabama mountains near birmingham now.... LOL they tried to fire her when she got hurt on the job. She gets a settlement check every couple weeks