PDA

View Full Version : 4 Post Car Lift for home use

dtmcnamara
02-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Ok so I am closing on my house soon and as a move-in present I want to get a 4-post car lift for the garage. I have been looking around at various places that sell them online, but wanted to see if anyone has one. This house I am moving into will be HOME for a good while so this unit must last the times.

I have been looking at www.directlift.com but like I said I have no idea whats a good one or a bad one.

Thanks

Barefoot
02-22-2010, 11:12 PM
get some high ass ceilings and a 2 post not a four. 2 post is more flexible.

dtmcnamara
02-22-2010, 11:14 PM
get some high ass ceilings and a 2 post not a four. 2 post is more flexible.

due to the garage and ceiling height I feel a 4 post will be better, plus with most 4 posts I can get a lower car on it, especially if I recess it in the ground a little like we were talking about. I want a flush drive onto the ramps so I can get ANY car onto it. Dont know what kind of cars the future will bring, all I know is that I want to be ready and I want to do it right this first time around.

Barefoot
02-22-2010, 11:16 PM
what about a scissor lift. i can almost guarantee u that u will not like the 4 post.

jdm-civic
02-22-2010, 11:18 PM
when you get them can i come over?

slostang
02-22-2010, 11:21 PM
four post lifts are commonly referred to as oil change lifts for a good reason. also, there is a reason 99% of shops you go into have two post lifts.

jcs
02-22-2010, 11:24 PM
i also agree that the 2 post is the way to go

Barefoot
02-22-2010, 11:25 PM
four post lifts are commonly referred to as oil change lifts for a good reason. also, there is a reason 99% of shops you go into have two post lifts.
thats pretty all the are good for. only shop i worked at that used 1 was for oil changes and easy chassis inspections.

slostang
02-22-2010, 11:30 PM
thats pretty all the are good for. only shop i worked at that used 1 was for oil changes and easy chassis inspections.

yep. they are a pain in the ass.

dtmcnamara
02-22-2010, 11:37 PM
let me do a few measurements this weekend and see if I can swing a 2 post in there. I am trying to fit a square in a circle already, but then again with a 2 post, the posts would be in the middle of the garage where the ceiling is already higher....hummm

we will see.

anyways, back to the big question. whats a good brand

Barefoot
02-22-2010, 11:40 PM
i would have to say bendpak 2 post rotary lift

DirtyMechanic
02-22-2010, 11:40 PM
due to the garage and ceiling height I feel a 4 post will be better, plus with most 4 posts I can get a lower car on it, especially if I recess it in the ground a little like we were talking about. I want a flush drive onto the ramps so I can get ANY car onto it. Dont know what kind of cars the future will bring, all I know is that I want to be ready and I want to do it right this first time around.

i bet your garage floor isnt thick enough for a in ground lift. and it would have to be poured with that in mind. not a after thought. and i bet the garage floor isnt even thick enough for a 2 post.

and i bet some alignments.

Barefoot
02-22-2010, 11:42 PM
i bet your garage floor isnt thick enough for a in ground lift. and it would have to be poured with that in mind. not a after thought. and i bet the garage floor isnt even thick enough for a 2 post.

and i bet some alignments.yah that 2. we didnt do them but most shops do.

as for the floor i was goign to say that in my last post but forgot. u need atleast a 4" min reinforced floor.

dtmcnamara
02-23-2010, 12:06 AM

and i bet some alignments.

the thing is that the driveway and the garage all need to be re-poured. There use to be a big tree next tot he house and about 3-4 years ago it died and fell and then roots from under the driveway decided to decay and make the driveway fall a little as well as where the garage door meets the floor.

I am ready to take a jack hammer to where the posts would be and reinforce inside the garage and/or the entire garage if needed. Once the S2000 sells I will have all the money to get it done.

Also I am glad you guys are bringing up these points as well, I need to talk to a few people to double check on the concrete and everything else. Keep the possible problems coming

thanks

Barefoot
02-23-2010, 12:11 AM
u just need a contractor who has built commercial shops before. personally if u arent planing on using for profit (20 plus cars a week) your wasting time and lots of money.

browningboy7
02-23-2010, 12:14 AM
the thing is that the driveway and the garage all need to be re-poured. There use to be a big tree next tot he house and about 3-4 years ago it died and fell and then roots from under the driveway decided to decay and make the driveway fall a little as well as where the garage door meets the floor.

I am ready to take a jack hammer to where the posts would be and reinforce inside the garage and/or the entire garage if needed. Once the S2000 sells I will have all the money to get it done.

Also I am glad you guys are bringing up these points as well, I need to talk to a few people to double check on the concrete and everything else. Keep the possible problems coming

thanks

My stepdad has built 233298 tires plus stores and done the installs/anchoring and everything on the lifts. When you get ready to do it we can handle it from the concrete to the install. Just lemme know, Any questions feel free to PM me.

DirtyMechanic
02-23-2010, 12:20 AM
u just need a contractor who has built commercial shops before. personally if u arent planing on using for profit (20 plus cars a week) your wasting time and lots of money.
shhhh.... no its not... i plan on building a garage with a lift when i look for a house. they are cheap and omg so useful when you tinker around with "stuff"

civicturbo10
02-23-2010, 06:58 AM
Yep get a two post setup. Here is a low height 2 post type:

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

May fit you application. Not exactly shop height but it's def worth a look for home owners. GL.

Barefoot
02-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Yep get a two post setup. Here is a low height 2 post type:

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

May fit you application. Not exactly shop height but it's def worth a look for home owners. GL.
ive seen 1 in person. other than i have to sit or be on my knees while under the car its a great product.

dtmcnamara
02-23-2010, 11:39 AM
My stepdad has built 233298 tires plus stores and done the installs/anchoring and everything on the lifts. When you get ready to do it we can handle it from the concrete to the install. Just lemme know, Any questions feel free to PM me.

I will contact you guys once we close and get to the garage. First things first we are ripping the windows out for new ones then all new floors.