PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Supercharger questions

DC2NR
02-19-2010, 02:48 PM
1. Would super charging, say a k20, be the same as turbo charging a k20? As in going through the same process of upgrading rods/pistons etc. I understand you'd have to upgrade the fuel system and possibly ignition system, but would I have to worry about forged internals or anything of that nature?

2. What cams would you be able to run on a supercharged motor? As in a mildly aggressive to a very aggressive profile.

3. Is there a difference between turbo boost (psi) vs supercharger boost(psi)? (example 10psi on a turbo vs 10psi pulley)

ej1boy95
02-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Yes, there is a difference between turbos and supercharges.

Turbos will give you extremely more HP then a supercharger. If you are wanting a more reliable car I would suggest getting a supercharger. Turbos on the other are reliable if you do them correct, but I dont think not as reliable as a supercharger.

Also, it doesnt matter what you are running 10lbs is 10lbs, turbo or supercharger. Although 10lbs on a turbo will probably give you more power then a SC.

SC do have an advantage though. They are easy to install, I dont rreally know about price. I guess its all what you find and who you know. Also it all depends on how many lbs of boost you plan on running. If you plan on going over 8lbs I would suggest building the motor ( turbo or SC ), and if you plan on doing force induction I would suggest getting a fuel pump, injectors, ect.

But like I said it all depends on which one you want and how many lbs of boost you are wanting to run. As for cams Im not really sure. I guessing getting turbo cams or something. Maybe someone else could answer that.

Hope this helps man.

scttydb411
02-22-2010, 12:17 AM
unless you're going to get the newer jackson or something that you can run through an intercooler i would suggest turbo. roots type blower mounted directly to an intake manifold create a lot of heat and high iat kill power and motors over time depending on boost. also, increasing boost on a turbo is easier w/ a boost controller, vs. a s/c needs a different pully set to spin it more.

you will need to upgrade the fuel system and go kpro to do either properly. tuning is the key.

SPOOLIN
02-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Also, it doesnt matter what you are running 10lbs is 10lbs, turbo or supercharger. Although 10lbs on a turbo will probably give you more power then a SC.

I just want to make one thing clear....this portion of the statement is 100% false.

Nemesis
02-22-2010, 09:39 AM
I just want to make one thing clear....this portion of the statement is 100% false.

noobs talk in terms of lbs, l33ts talk in terms of CFM

Vteckidd
02-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Supercharging id run no bigger than a "R" cam. Too big a cam and you will bleed boost off due to too much overlap.

WIth a K20 id look into the Rotrex aka Kraftwerks superchargers, they are really nice and make as much power as a turbo.

Benefits to supercharging (JRSC) is its cheap, good power, easy to install , no bov, no wg, no turbo manifold, no turbo etc

Cons it only makes SO much power, it gets hot (no way to use an intercooler)

S2KJD
02-22-2010, 10:20 AM

noobs make fun of other noobs rather than just helping by sharing the knowledge they contain :D

dallasb84
02-22-2010, 11:36 AM
superchargers will give you aids

japan4racing
02-22-2010, 11:57 AM

:yes:

David88vert
02-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Cons it only makes SO much power, it gets hot (no way to use an intercooler)

What's that thing mounted in front of my radiator then? Last I checked it was a FMIC. With a centrifigual, you can use either an intercooler, or an aftercooler.

Nemesis
02-22-2010, 01:56 PM

well shit.....

Ive got an SC with an intercooler....but maybe hes reffering to space and the designs of the available kits for that motor.

Vteckidd
02-22-2010, 04:44 PM
What's that thing mounted in front of my radiator then? Last I checked it was a FMIC. With a centrifigual, you can use either an intercooler, or an aftercooler.

This guy has a Honda so in that context almost 99% of the jrsc on the market don't allow use of an intercooler.

The only ones out for k series that use am intercooler are the rotrex kraftwerks ones.

Vteckidd
02-22-2010, 04:45 PM
well shit.....

Ive got an SC with an intercooler....but maybe hes reffering to space and the designs of the available kits for that motor.

Roots style superchargers for hondas for the most part don't allow use of an intercooler.

He's asking about a k20 not a v8

DC2NR
02-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks for all the response. I'm not looking to make big power. 300whp is plenty for me. I want more of a quick, low rpm response motor than a 600hp motor with major boost lag.

With that in mind. Should I be looking into forged internals?

I was also looking into a water/meth injection system. Good idea?

SPOOLIN
02-22-2010, 05:49 PM
You can always opt for the 900$ LHT Air/water aftercooler mod for the JRSC lol.

Vteckidd
02-22-2010, 06:19 PM
You can always opt for the 900$ LHT Air/water aftercooler mod for the JRSC lol.

Lasti checked they only do it for b series not k

Nemesis
02-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Roots style superchargers for hondas for the most part don't allow use of an intercooler.

He's asking about a k20 not a v8

I know that, but even with a roots/tvs there should be some sort of heat exchanger. Seems dangerous to run any type of boost without cooling the charge coming in.

Vteckidd
02-22-2010, 08:04 PM
I know that, but even with a roots/tvs there should be some sort of heat exchanger. Seems dangerous to run any type of boost without cooling the charge coming in.

Noob LOL

JRSC never came with any intercooler so IATs do get hot. The comptech comes with an after cooler and now the new rotrex comes with an option for an intercooler

pwned v8 boy

Nemesis
02-22-2010, 10:07 PM
this whole thread is blasphemy!!!!!!!!!

And yes, I got pwn3d. My knowledge on Honduh performance stops at 20lbs of torque and durrrr vtec

ej1boy95
02-22-2010, 10:37 PM

sorry for providing false statement. can u explain to me the true statement

ej1boy95
02-22-2010, 10:39 PM

just because i used the terms LBS dosent mean Im a noob. It just means you have more knowledge in this subject then I do.

DC2NR
02-22-2010, 11:28 PM

Sorry if it is. Just wanted a little insight from people with experience before I decide which route to go. I'd rather do it the right way the first time than to double or triple what I spend the first time around.

SPOOLIN
02-22-2010, 11:45 PM
10 psi on a t3/t4 50mm is going to be in the range of 275 i guess on say a built b series....where 10 psi on a 72mm turbo is going to be 450 maybe. The bigger the turbo compressor, the more air its moving while its pressurizing the air....superchargers tend to be less efficient at moving air and generally don't flow near as much air.

DirtyMechanic
02-23-2010, 12:17 AM
10 psi on a t3/t4 50mm is going to be in the range of 275 i guess on say a built b series....where 10 psi on a 72mm turbo is going to be 450 maybe. The bigger the turbo compressor, the more air its moving while its pressurizing the air....superchargers tend to be less efficient at moving air and generally don't flow near as much air.
http://www.streetlegaltv.com/photos/data/703/IMG_1448.JPG
lol what?

SPOOLIN
02-23-2010, 10:19 AM
http://www.streetlegaltv.com/photos/data/703/IMG_1448.JPG
lol what?

Yes, take a turbo that same size as that supercharger and i guarantee there will be MORE overall flow.

Is there science behind your picture or did you just feel like posting a picture of a hideous looking blower ....
http://www.dragracingonline.com/pmachine/images/uploads/PRI_Precision.jpg

Nemesis
02-23-2010, 10:41 AM
All bullshit aside, if you want to make BIG power, especially on a car that didnt have much to begin with, go turbo.

Dont supercharge a car without some sort of after/intercooling, its stupid, especially in Georgia summers.

Vteckidd
02-23-2010, 11:30 AM
I disagree. low boost you don't need an intercooler. Plenty of cars can run low boos pressure with no intercooler an be fine. It's about cylinder pressure and iat temps

5psi=50-60whp with a jrsc non intercooler. A k20 supercharged civic hatch would rape almost any car on here stop light to stop light.

If you go rotrex, you'll make the same power as a turbo setup without the high egt and iats

rotrex k20 guys are making 400-450whp same as a full race kit.

DirtyMechanic
02-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Yes, take a turbo that same size as that supercharger and i guarantee there will be MORE overall flow.

Is there science behind your picture or did you just feel like posting a picture of a hideous looking blower ....

im just fucking around i know that size of the sc or turbo will depend on what psi and all that... it just matters how you going to use the power. turbo lag with high power for drag or maybe a nice smooth power curve for road racing. you need to find what your going to use it for.

DVSRX-7
02-23-2010, 02:38 PM

And yes, I got pwn3d. My knowledge on Honduh performance stops at 20lbs of torque and durrrr vtec

My thoughts exactly. :lmfao:

DVSRX-7
02-23-2010, 02:45 PM
1. Would super charging, say a k20, be the same as turbo charging a k20? As in going through the same process of upgrading rods/pistons etc. I understand you'd have to upgrade the fuel system and possibly ignition system, but would I have to worry about forged internals or anything of that nature?

2. What cams would you be able to run on a supercharged motor? As in a mildly aggressive to a very aggressive profile.

3. Is there a difference between turbo boost (psi) vs supercharger boost(psi)? (example 10psi on a turbo vs 10psi pulley)

All I have to say is, do your research. Know what power (HP, Trq) numbers you are looking at, then search for setup and prices. If a SC gives you the numbers you want then just go ahead and go with that, if a turbo makes enough for you to have fun then do that. Also look at install time and cost of install if you don't DIY. :goodjob:

All I know is that a turbo might have more CFM and LBS compared to a belt driven SC. I think the belt creates to much of a drag on a engine as a turbo doesn't but then they both have there drawbacks as well.

DC2NR
02-23-2010, 06:16 PM
All I have to say is, do your research. Know what power (HP, Trq) numbers you are looking at, then search for setup and prices. If a SC gives you the numbers you want then just go ahead and go with that, if a turbo makes enough for you to have fun then do that. Also look at install time and cost of install if you don't DIY. :goodjob:

All I know is that a turbo might have more CFM and LBS compared to a belt driven SC. I think the belt creates to much of a drag on a engine as a turbo doesn't but then they both have there drawbacks as well.

Thanks. Think I have all the info I need. As stated before I'm not looking for BIG power (300whp 240+tq is plenty). Just looking for a fun car to drive that'll respond when I want it to. I do have the DIY know how, I just wanted a little more in depth before I get into anything.

Thanks all for the input and the 4-1-1.