PDA

View Full Version : Remove Air Bags?

Princess12
02-19-2010, 02:37 PM
I have a question that I'm having a very difficult time finding the answer to.

Here's the situation: My husband has been asked to take on a side job (he does collision repair). The car is a Kia Sportage which was side swiped by a truck owned by commercial trucking company. The vehicle was never reported to the owner's insurance company as the trucking company simply cut them a settlement check. The driver's side seat airbag deployed during the accident, but the car still has a clean title.

My question: Is it illegal to remove the deployed air bag from the vehicle at the owner's request?

We have thoroughly informed them that the remaining SRS components may not function, and they are OK with this. We just want to make sure that what they are asking us to do is not illegal in any way.

Elbow
02-19-2010, 02:43 PM
That's a really good question.

JJSPEC Racing
02-19-2010, 02:47 PM
If the vehicle is not properly repaired(SRS system not functioning 100% correctly) and the operator of that vehicle (doesnt have to be the owner, maybe someone who borrowed the car) gets injured or killed, your husband could be liable and be sued for not repairing it porperly. Just something to think about. A waiver may not be enough.

Princess12
02-19-2010, 02:48 PM
That's a really good question.

Yeah, we're really torn about it. We could really use the money that this job would bring, but we don't want to even think about doing it if it's illegal.

Princess12
02-19-2010, 02:50 PM
If the vehicle is not properly repaired(SRS system not functioning 100% correctly) and the operator of that vehicle (doesnt have to be the owner, maybe someone who borrowed the car) gets injured or killed, your husband could be liable and be sued for not repairing it porperly. Just something to think about. A waiver may not be enough.

That's what we are worried about. I guess I'm asking if a written/signed agreement is enough to protect us in case this vehicle is in another accident somewhere down the road. I can't find any legal information as to whether removal of a deployed air bag on a car with a clean title with written consent of the owner is legal or illegal.

Jrh1992
02-19-2010, 03:31 PM
It would make sense that it is legal. I guess it's just a mod. Like an engine swap.

bodhi
02-19-2010, 03:36 PM
It would make sense that it is legal. I guess it's just a mod. Like an engine swap.

yes, removing your cars' air bags is exactly like an engine swap... only difference is that if another car hits your brand new motor with its .2 liter increase - that it doesn't have the, oh let's say, power to possibly save your life... unlike, um... i dunno - air bag!

fucking morons

Jrh1992
02-19-2010, 03:42 PM
yes, removing your cars' air bags is exactly like an engine swap... only difference is that if another car hits your brand new motor with its .2 liter increase - that it doesn't have the, oh let's say, power to possibly save your life... unlike, um... i dunno - air bag!

fucking morons
It doesn't make it illegal! The question is if it's legal or not!!
MEANING: Will I go to jail if I do this?

Princess12
02-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks for all the input! I think we have decided to just go the safe route and fix the actual body damage on the car. If they want to cut the airbags out, then they will have to do that on their own terms or through someone else. It's really weighing heavy on our consciences, and better safe than sorry.

Jrh1992
02-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all the input! I think we have decided to just go the safe route and fix the actual body damage on the car. If they want to cut the airbags out, then they will have to do that on their own terms or through someone else. It's really weighing heavy on our consciences, and better safe than sorry.
Hell just call your lawyer or insurance company and ask them!

bodhi
02-19-2010, 03:44 PM
It doesn't make it illegal! The question is if it's legal or not!!
MEANING: Will I go to jail if I do this?

stupid moron, air bags have to be in a car... without air bags you cannot get insurance, and without insurance you cannot legally drive your car on public roads. does this make sense to you?

no? gibberish then? ujkhfsdkjfh? there, make sense?

moron

Jrh1992
02-19-2010, 03:50 PM
stupid moron, air bags have to be in a car... without air bags you cannot get insurance, and without insurance you cannot legally drive your car on public roads. does this make sense to you?

no? gibberish then? ujkhfsdkjfh? there, make sense?

moron

OK! We are talking about a passenger airbag!! The same one that can be turned off in most cars!! But I guess every fucking car manufacturer is a moron because they don't know that if you turn that airbag off, your insurance will be cancelled!

And I guess older cars w/o airbags can't be driven anymore.

bodhi
02-19-2010, 04:01 PM
OK! We are talking about a passenger airbag!! The same one that can be turned off in most cars!! But I guess every fucking car manufacturer is a moron because they don't know that if you turn that airbag off, your insurance will be cancelled!

someone please help me find this kids' brain

look, Jrh19fuckingmoron, an airbags purpose is to deploy during an impact - this means that even though the lil' shiney thing that says passenger side airbag off/on isn't on - DOESN'T mean that its not working. unduhstan?

as for old 1930s model cars.... know what, lemme just stop.
just a heads up though for future reference, you don't have to talk out of your ass like you know shit (airbags are just like mods. an engine swap - GOD YOU ARE FUCKING RETARDED). you could totally just not talk, that'll be cool.

Jrh1992
02-19-2010, 04:12 PM
WTF is the difference between an airbag being turned off and not working? Oh wait it's the same thing! and her question is if it's illegal to remove the airbag at owner's request!! For all she knows, the owner has a new airbag but doesn't know how to remove the old one.

egpower904
02-20-2010, 12:51 AM

i could totally argue your point here as well, if in fact she was talking about the passenger side air bag. i read the post and looks like she said DRIVER SIDE air bag. my 91 integra doesnt even come with a passenger airbag and its totally legal. either way good question, i mean i guess everyone with a racing steering wheel (at least 1/2 of IA) is illegal, but honestly, what insurance company checks that shit anyway? they have better things to do. i say play it safe and tell them if they want it removed, do it somewhere else by/with someone elses help