PDA

View Full Version : 1990 miata ticking issue

dohc4.6sc
02-18-2010, 09:30 PM
ok so i just put a header on a few minutes ago and now it has a really loud tick. everything seems very tigh and i used new gaskets. it had the normal valve tick before the header, could installing it just have made it louder? or can a exhaust leak sound like a tick?:thinking:

DecoyOctopus
02-18-2010, 09:31 PM
your pistons are fucked!

dohc4.6sc
02-18-2010, 09:37 PM
your pistons are fucked!doubt that very seriously

jdm-civic
02-18-2010, 09:37 PM
some thing happened to my boys civic. i guess since your going from thick cast iron to thin wall steel it doesnt absorb as much sound......he been normal eber since the change

Elbow
02-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Is it new? A crack in the header or somewhere high in the exhaust stream can make a ticking sound. What brand is it? Is it a head tick or knock in the bottom end?

If it just started it's probably an exhaust issue.

DecoyOctopus
02-18-2010, 09:39 PM
doubt that very seriously

lolololol your miata has pistons?

I have a miata, also. i think it just got louder because of your header

Elbow
02-18-2010, 09:39 PM
lolololol your miata has pistons?

I have a miata, also. i think it just got louder because of your header

Does your Miata NOT have pistons? :thinking:

DecoyOctopus
02-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Does your Miata NOT have pistons? :thinking:

lol, I swear I thought he was talking about a rx7

JITB
mazdas b series motors B6 1.6 dohc, and the bp 1.8 dohc, have crazy valve lash. Oe rthe years, but i noticed it more when the car is low on oil. And or the car has sat for along time, or in cold weather.

but you can help it by running some sea foam or gum out on the valves, or take the valve cover off, and get a tooth brush, and go at it head to head, with some gum out.. and flush it...

but it could be a shitty gasket... since it just start happening.

Elbow
no.

Right, I hope you're kidding......

dohc4.6sc
02-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Is it new? A crack in the header or somewhere high in the exhaust stream can make a ticking sound. What brand is it? Is it a head tick or knock in the bottom end?

If it just started it's probably an exhaust issue.
its new, its some ebay brand(i know i know) and its a head tick seems like its the loudest right around the firewall

Elbow
02-18-2010, 09:44 PM
its new, its some ebay brand(i know i know) and its a head tick seems like its the loudest right around the firewall

Check the header for a leak, if there is a tiny crack in the header, especially around the runners, it will sound just like a ticking or even a knocking motor. The crack will worsen and you will swear the motor is about to explode.

dohc4.6sc
02-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Check the header for a leak, if there is a tiny crack in the header, especially around the runners, it will sound just like a ticking or even a knocking motor. The crack will worsen and you will swear the motor is about to explode.

i forgot to mention there is no o2 in it right now, couldnt get the old one out but the header came with a plug for the o2 so i installed it for now, could this cause a tick at all?

Elbow
02-18-2010, 09:47 PM
i forgot to mention there is no o2 in it right now, couldnt get the old one out but the header came with a plug for the o2 so i installed it for now, could this cause a tick at all?

Yes, it could. Take the plug out and see what it sounds like.

dohc4.6sc
02-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Yes, it could. Take the plug out and see what it sounds like. what should it look like? i mean its steel and actually screws in so i thought it wouldnt do anything but dump fuel till i got a new one.

Elbow
02-18-2010, 09:51 PM
what should it look like? i mean its steel and actually screws in so i thought it wouldnt do anything but dump fuel till i got a new one.

Well if it's leaking then it could make a ticking/knocking noise.

dohc4.6sc
02-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Well if it's leaking then it could make a ticking/knocking noise. my bad i thought you said what it looks like, fast reading fml.

egpower904
02-18-2010, 10:29 PM
what he said about the o2 sensor bolt. that ticking will keep going until the bolt pops out, the sound is it loosening itself. i heard that same noise from the ebay header i put on my eg8 a year ago, it had the top o2 bung in the engine bay, and one on the bottom of the header near the collector. i didnt tighten the bottom one all the way (forgot to) and going down the road i hear ticking for about 5 miles then POP!! bolt shot up into the floorboard scared the shit outta me. loosened itself out.

Elbow
02-19-2010, 06:16 AM
lol, I swear I thought he was talking about a rx7

Or you thought your Miata had a rotary until you googled it....