PDA

View Full Version : idle problem when i hold the brakes

ddpxxx
02-14-2010, 02:14 AM
So i have this crx w/ b16a xsi jdm motor. when the car is fully warmed up and im holding the brakes at idle, the rpm drops to about 500-300. which gets annoyin so i use my e-brake which then goes back up to 900. Wondering if anybody would know about this? Im thinking its something to do with the brake booster but im not sure cause i dont think there are any leaks. i looked at the hose and the vacuum looks good. either that or the idle air but the idle sits ok. Would like some help thanks.

tmracing83
02-14-2010, 02:51 PM
My civic used to do this.... Never found the solution but I had a few people point me towards the idle air control....

CaTcH22
02-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Brake booster is prolly leakin internal.

gerardojdm
02-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Brake booster is prolly leakin internal.

you beat me to it. Check the hose the goes from the manifold to the brake booster.

ddpxxx
02-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys. the hose from the manifold to brake booster looks good. its fairly new. but i'm thinking the brake booster... which mean i need a new one... any one want a crx... lol jk

ddpxxx
02-14-2010, 08:19 PM
but wat are some other symptoms of internal bleeding

ATL86
02-15-2010, 05:31 AM
Remove the master cylinder and peek inside the booster.

Total_Blender
02-15-2010, 07:50 AM
but wat are some other symptoms of internal bleeding

Blood in stool.

Black stool.

Blood in urine.

Vomiting blood or coagulated blood.

Abdominal swelling and discoloration.

Abdomen rigid and sensitive to touch.

ilbcnu123
02-15-2010, 02:09 PM
I had this same problem in my Z. When i tapped my brakes, every light in the car would dim for a split second and the idle would drop. Turned out i had some corroded battery terminals and grounds. When i replaced them, it didnt happen again.

ddpxxx
02-15-2010, 11:53 PM
hmm... thats interesting. i have my battery relocated to the back of pass. seat. i had gotten my battery replaced not too long ago. it doesnt do as often, as before but once that engine is nice and warm at a stop light it likes to dip. thank guys great help ill try to look at the inside of brake booster when ever i get to do my shocks.

mikethumbs92
02-15-2010, 11:58 PM
i had the same problem on my 240sx and it was my coolant temp sensor was corruded. i changed that and it stopped

:thinking:

ddpxxx
02-17-2010, 12:39 AM
wow... kinda makes sense. Hmm ima look more into that.

james497
02-17-2010, 06:23 PM
thats funny cause when im at a stop light my rpm drop and i pump the brakes and it raises a little,plus my brakes go flat and then comes back to working fine

preferredduck
02-20-2010, 01:16 AM
there is also an electrical load detector or something like this, my b16 has always done this and when a load is put on it idles down a little and then back up. lights on, stereo, then hit the brakes at a light and stop and it does it. i should look into some of these things. i want to redo my grounds with some old streetwires 4 guage since i got it for free back in the day and add a couple of extra ones since this actually helps alot.

ddpxxx
02-21-2010, 11:25 PM
yea.. it may be something electrical but im thinking the cooling temp sensor. This makes sense because this problem only occurs when the car is fully warmed. but electrically this also may make sense but hard to diagnose.

preferredduck
02-22-2010, 12:51 AM
yea.. it may be something electrical but im thinking the cooling temp sensor. This makes sense because this problem only occurs when the car is fully warmed. but electrically this also may make sense but hard to diagnose.

i really dont think anything is wrong because the car adjusts idle under loads, IACV etc so it will always adjust under different conditions. when the car is warm the IACV starts working to control the idle and the ecu comes out of a closed loop mode. the load detector on my si i read today is in my under dash fuse box but i think your good. we may just need to clean the IACV but i doubt it. even my old stock si i bought brand new off the truck in 200 with only an intake on it did the same thing brand new.

Turbodude06
02-22-2010, 08:04 AM
This could be anything I had this problem once and it ended up being my throttle body just needed to be cleaned:screwy:. But I would start with cleaning the battery connections too.. The altenator could be starting to go out too, cause when your on your brakes its lighting up the brake lights...

preferredduck
02-22-2010, 09:17 PM
This could be anything I had this problem once and it ended up being my throttle body just needed to be cleaned:screwy:. But I would start with cleaning the battery connections too.. The altenator could be starting to go out too, cause when your on your brakes its lighting up the brake lights...

amen i have a 10 yr old alternator on mine, but i had a new SI off the truck do this under a load. it can never hurt to clean a few things for sure.