PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods Oil seal

Slomaro Z28
02-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Whats the difficultly level of changing the oil seal on a turbo? Is this something I should just have a shop do? I need the car for a DD, so if a shop does it how long should it take.....if they get right to it. Have a little oil in the exhaust tip, and the compression check passed. Haven't pulled the DP yet, but guess thats it.

dallasb84
02-14-2010, 03:16 AM
hey man......
the turbo should be just fine..... if anything you might be getting some blow by.... especially upon start up.....

when i gapped the rings i gapped them a little big for plans on raising the boost....

i had some notes i took when the rings were gapped but ill have to find them to give u measurements of the top second and oil ring.

if you start the car..... get it warm.... the valve cover hose that would normaly go to the intake will show a bit of positive pressure....when you rev it on the launch control...... keep in mind the car will make 5 psi at launch.

the next upgrade i was going to do before upping the boost was to install a catch can setup on the motor.

i have some material left over like stainless braided line that would be perfect to use... and id always be down to help you with it if you like.....

all seals were replaced so i dont think the valve stem seals are leaking...... the only leak i noticed was the seal in the distributer would leak some...... you can see where it gets on the tranny.

dallasb84
02-14-2010, 03:22 AM
i never did this but a good way to see if the turbo is blowing oil is first to..... unclamp the intercooler pipes and check for oil at the intercooler.....

i doubt youll find any but its a good start.....on narrowing in on the turbo.

checkinging the downpipe will just tell you if its burning oil....

i think what your seeing is a bit of blow by to be honest....i got a welder and we could easily fab up a nice setup for that beast if you like. i want you to be happy with the car just as much if not more than i was.

Slomaro Z28
02-14-2010, 09:28 AM
I am very happy with it :cheers: The dipstick tube came out of the block a little bit, I guess it was stuck due to cold weather and it sprayed some oil everywhere.....now the exhaust wrap is soaked in oil and burning it off, that smells like shit. I went and had the magnaflow muffler put on (sounds awesome) and have been noticing a little oil in the tip. There is no play in the turbo, so I figured it was good. I might need some help raising the car a little, my damn driveway has already got the bumper.:gay:

I mean it's not burning or losing a lot of oil, it just starts smoking a lot after you get into boost in the higher rpms and it's smoking from under the hood around the DP. But like I said, the DP wrap got soaked in oil, so it might just be getting really hot from boost and high rpm's and burning that oil off the wrap.

dallasb84
02-14-2010, 12:49 PM
hey one thing i forgot to mention is when i pulled the fuel pump and put in the walboro unit in the sock puts the pump at a slight angle in the tank..... so once it gets to just under 1/2 tank the guage will start reading very very touchy as the fuel sloshes around...... sometimes in a hard turn like an on ramp it will cut out. around 1/4 tank.

i always filled it back up at half tank...... pretty much after 6 gallons id go ahead and fill her back up

Slomaro Z28
02-14-2010, 01:20 PM
hey one thing i forgot to mention is when i pulled the fuel pump and put in the walboro unit in the sock puts the pump at a slight angle in the tank..... so once it gets to just under 1/2 tank the guage will start reading very very touchy as the fuel sloshes around...... sometimes in a hard turn like an on ramp it will cut out. around 1/4 tank.

i always filled it back up at half tank...... pretty much after 6 gallons id go ahead and fill her back up

Thanks for the heads up. I noticed that the gauge will read lower, then you start moving it returns.