PDA

View Full Version : The roads are fuckered up....for real.

Doppelgänger
02-13-2010, 12:25 AM
So I went for a drive around 10:30 tonight to look around. When I left the roads were wet. I drove down Ashford-Dunwoody to Hammond and all was OK. Well, I took Hammond over to Roswell and headed down toward Buckhead. Yeah....no. Roswell was smooth with ice. So I putted along at ~15-20mph because I was not in a hurry and don't feel like making an insurance claim. So I got down to Buckhead and took P'tree north up to Chamblee. Solid friggin' ice!!! In typical Atlanta style, some dumb cunt driving a huge SUV comes up on my ass and passes me. I kept hoping to watch her fly off the road as she was doing 40+mph...on the ice. But since I didn't feel like keeping up to watch, I didn't get to see if she stuffed her shit down the road lol.

So I get up to Chamblee and am coming up on the Clairmont intersection and the light is red. At the same time I see headlights in the right lane...someone was "doing it wrong" haha. Well, right at that moment I start to slide as well. Hell, I was barely going 15mph and was NOT on the brakes to throttle...it just went. So I counter steered into it and locked down the brakes to assure my slide went in one direction and to keep me from suddenly changing directions if any of my wheels caught traction. Dammit..I'm sliding right at the other car. Luckily I stop a reasonable distance from them...but now I am stalled, facing the wrong way and there are cars coming our way. I started flashing my headlights to warn the oncoming traffic and fired the car back up and luckily there was an entrance off the road right in front of me. I pull in and head back the other direction.

First time in all my driving on snow/ice that I have had my car go into a slide that I didn't induce. I'd like to think the yearrs of drifting and other hard driving that allowed my to make my quick decisions.

What is really fucked up is that Clairmont is closed yet the light is still stopping traffic on P'tree which is causing a problem and I'm sure someone has royally ate it over there since then. I am quite surprised at how fast the roads went from just wet to solid ice...it happened within 30 minutes of driving.

+1 for keeping a cool head.

Black4DrEK
02-13-2010, 12:29 AM
Awesome!

It was Dumb to go driving tonight tho! LOL at you

Evil Goat
02-13-2010, 12:31 AM
this sucks...me and my wife are supposed to leave early sunday morning for elijay...hopefully it is decently clear, i don't have a problem with snow/ice driivng, just don't want to deal with the other idiot drivers

Doppelgänger
02-13-2010, 12:33 AM
Not the dumbest thing I've done, but much like everyone else, I didn't expect the roads to go from wet to ice that fast. Even where the road was wet I was driving like a blue-hair. If you had a turbo RWD car you'd probably go out and find some lots to play in as well :goodjob:

marcos713
02-13-2010, 12:36 AM
on my way home from work i was coming down austell rd going towards east-west connector. i was going about 35 because the road wasnt slushy....until i got to a part where it was slushy ...i hit my brakes slowly and realized i was sliding so i pumped them til i came to a stop at the light. then a camero makes a left turn going the way i was and almost spins out into the medium lol.

sucks i have to go back to work at 8am....

marcos713
02-13-2010, 12:37 AM
this sucks...me and my wife are supposed to leave early sunday morning for elijay...hopefully it is decently clear, i don't have a problem with snow/ice driivng, just don't want to deal with the other idiot drivers

exactly why besides work im staying home for the day

Black4DrEK
02-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Not the dumbest thing I've done, but much like everyone else, I didn't expect the roads to go from wet to ice that fast. Even where the road was wet I was driving like a blue-hair. If you had a turbo RWD car you'd probably go out and find some lots to play in as well :goodjob:

I hear ya man!

But.. does it take a Turbo RWD car to drift in the snow/ice??:thinking: lol

00 blk G20t
02-13-2010, 12:44 AM
yeah it was pretty bad when i was out going to subway to eat. i lost traction going down a hill and had to give the car throttle to speed up(spin the tires) to slow down if that makes any damn sense. first time ive ever had to that LOL. the last snow storm we had i almost wrecked my car too.....i was just about to get on 85 from beaver ruin rd. lucky i was quick with the steering and got the car back under control before i hit the curb and fucked my baby up.

im gotta work in the morning too...hopefully it will be better out. if not i just plan to drive slow as fuck.

.blank cd
02-13-2010, 12:49 AM
I am so fucking BORED. and I CANT GO ANYWHERE

Black4DrEK
02-13-2010, 12:50 AM
^ haha.. funny sig..

ava_Z32
02-13-2010, 12:53 AM
yeah i left work at about 6 here in alpharetta and it wasn't bad at all. the roads were just wet and by the time i got home i was sliding everywhere. doesn't help that i live off a bunch of back roads that nobody drives on. was pretty interesting but i made it home without incident. but, like everyone else, i was passed by some dumb bitch driving a huge SUV hauling ass. i wasn't creeping but i was keeping well within the limits to keep definite control over the Z and now i'm stuck at home until it thaws out because i won't make it out of the driveway let alone my neighborhood lol

RL...
02-13-2010, 01:00 AM
Coming home from work tonight around 10pm, I oulled in my neighborhood, was cruising about 30 mph(roads felt fine lol) and all of a sudden I started to just slide.....I noticed that I had 100% lost traction and was gliding toward the curb to my left at 30 mph! I was like :eek: and I knew if I jerked the steering wheel I would make it worse and brakes obviously would not help. I ended up getting traction by the time I got 6 inches away from the curb, whew!

Black4DrEK
02-13-2010, 01:01 AM
Awesome.. How many more driving in the snow threads are we gonna have today?????

allout13
02-13-2010, 01:15 AM
on my way home from work i was coming down austell rd going towards east-west connector. i was going about 35 because the road wasnt slushy....until i got to a part where it was slushy ...i hit my brakes slowly and realized i was sliding so i pumped them til i came to a stop at the light. then a camero makes a left turn going the way i was and almost spins out into the medium lol.

sucks i have to go back to work at 8am....

that right there sucks ass

TIGERJC
02-13-2010, 01:25 AM
Fayetteville is not too bad, but all the back roads are icey as fuck but fun (11pm). I was trapped on a hill though for a few mins

Black4DrEK
02-13-2010, 01:26 AM
^ what car do you drive?

TIGERJC
02-13-2010, 01:28 AM
evo

Black4DrEK
02-13-2010, 01:30 AM
Which one? and what color?

TIGERJC
02-13-2010, 01:31 AM
see sig

Graphite Grey and its a IX

Black4DrEK
02-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Hellz yea.. I see you all the time riding threw fayette.. Shit sounds Amazing! I love me some EVO's

TIGERJC
02-13-2010, 01:38 AM
Thanks, if its dirty as fuck then its me

Black4DrEK
02-13-2010, 01:40 AM
^ Dont really pay too much attention it its dirty.. lol.. Clean or not, shit is still Bada$$!

I actually saw you yesterday i believe..

Alan®
02-13-2010, 01:44 AM
guess so far im the only one that fucked up.

Left Kennesaw around 2 to go back to Tyrone (48 mile drive door to door) roads were fine like everybody else has said just wet. No problems on the free way I get on HWY 74 and go to get on the turning lane to go into my neighborhood and it was covered in snow which was covered in ice. managed to get her to a stop i creeped across the hwy into my neighborhood no throttle no brakes. 30 yards in the road goes to the left. Again snow and ice i couldnt see. Was doing 10mph when i started sliding pumped the brakes nothing slid into the curb. drove the rest of the way into my neighborhood steering wheel in all kinds of crazy directions. First thing that went through my head was that I broke something. Got home and got her up on the ramps visually inspected everything it all looks ok but i noticed when i had the wheel striaght, the side that took the impact still kinda goes to the right i havent driven it since so im not sure

Alan®
02-13-2010, 01:45 AM
see sig

Graphite Grey and its a IX

ah that was you a couple of weeks ago behind me goin down hood ave. was in the scion

NAMNORI
02-13-2010, 03:58 AM
Came into work at 8 ish and now I'm stuck here. But that's what I get for working in the bar business. Nice and wet when I got here frozen solid @ 10 watched dozens of people spin out in front of the bar. Bad thing is I gotta open in a few hours.

JITB
02-13-2010, 04:26 AM
lol i just drove from gwinnet to lithonia doing 25mph.. on 285.... not very fun.. but i made it! alot of counter steering i must say!

Z0_o6
02-13-2010, 05:06 AM
This afternoon I drove home from Charleston, SC towing an STi. thank god for 4WD :)

ATL86
02-13-2010, 05:18 AM
Damnit, I need to leave for work in 30 min. Last time it iced over, I couldn't get out of my neighborhood without sliding everywhere. I'm screwed :(

Elbow
02-13-2010, 05:24 AM
I'm about to go fuck my car up in it! Titties!

TypeRPersonality
02-13-2010, 07:46 AM
I was driving to work to open up shop this morning. Not even 2 miles away from home, my car was sliding sidewards. Luckily, the only other car around was driving extremely slow and stopped for me. It was a T intersection with a very steep hill. Since I couldn't get the car to stop, had I not slid sidewards, I would've gone straight into a ditch. Lesson learned, I drove my ass home in a different direction.

Blame it on bad luck, bad driving, bad conditions; it doesn't matter, I should've stayed home in the first place.

Elbow
02-13-2010, 07:48 AM
The roads around here in Athens are COMPLETE ice, it's fun though, it's easily controllable and you get to play ice racer in the middle of huge intersections, the roads are dead.

BKgen®
02-13-2010, 09:08 AM
If you had a turbo RWD car you'd probably go out and find some lots to play in as well :goodjob:

:yes::yes::yes:

§treet_§peed
02-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Wish I had a car or truck to go out and pay in this shit with... RIP to my POS that finally blew.....

ShooterMcGavin
02-13-2010, 02:14 PM
you're silly