PDA

View Full Version : Misc Cycling?

Princess12
02-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Any other road cyclers on the board? I am just now getting back into cycling and trying to introduce my husband to the sport. Just curious if anyone knew of any reputable bike shops in the Athens/Winder area?

Elbow
02-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Sunshine Cycles, they're the best, I know the owner and my dad works part time there, they know their stuff! They have a shop downtown (Athens) and in Watkinsville.

I use to ride a lot and plan on it again when the weather warms up a bit.

nreggie454
02-12-2010, 11:36 AM
For a good used bike, go to Ben's Bikes on 670 Broad Street (the entrance is on Pope). They pick up used bikes in the area and refurbish them and sell them later. I got my bike there and they were very very very helpful and with purchase of a bike, you also get one free tuneup.
http://www.bensbikesathens.com/

There is also a bike shop in 5 points but the name escapes me right now. I went in there once and it looks like they have their stuff together.

Athens has a lot of bikers, but a ton of them are the hipsters with single gear conversions and a basket to put their manpurse in.

Princess12
02-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Sunshine Cycles, they're the best, I know the owner and my dad works part time there, they know their stuff! They have a shop downtown (Athens) and in Watkinsville.

I use to ride a lot and plan on it again when the weather warms up a bit.

Thanks, Simon! I completely forgot about Sunshine. I know exactly where they are. I used to walk by there everyday.

Princess12
02-12-2010, 12:29 PM
For a good used bike, go to Ben's Bikes on 670 Broad Street (the entrance is on Pope). They pick up used bikes in the area and refurbish them and sell them later. I got my bike there and they were very very very helpful and with purchase of a bike, you also get one free tuneup.
http://www.bensbikesathens.com/

There is also a bike shop in 5 points but the name escapes me right now. I went in there once and it looks like they have their stuff together.

Athens has a lot of bikers, but a ton of them are the hipsters with single gear conversions and a basket to put their manpurse in.

Thanks! I will definitely check into Ben's. We would like to purchase at least one good used bike, I think. My husband has never cycled before, and I don't want to invest a whole lot of money if he isn't going to stick with it.

Elbow
02-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks, Simon! I completely forgot about Sunshine. I know exactly where they are. I used to walk by there everyday.

No problem, by the way if you all want a used bike or something my dad may have a few for sale depending on what you're looking for.

Princess12
02-12-2010, 03:16 PM
No problem, by the way if you all want a used bike or something my dad may have a few for sale depending on what you're looking for.

I actually would like to purchase used bikes because I don't really want to drop a lot of money into something my husband may not stick with. I have looked at several used bikes, but I'm so weary of whether they have been well-maintained/tuned/etc., that I hesitate in buying them.

I've been looking at entry-level bikes (Trek 1 series, Raleigh Grand Sports, Novaras, etc.) with good frames and semi-decent components (Sora/Tiagra). Let me know what he has that he may want to get rid of! Thanks!

SLOWR/T
02-12-2010, 09:53 PM
I ride both road and mountain. I didn't know you rode Erin. Hit me up if you ever want to ride. I try to ride the road to get stronger but mountain is so much more fun. :)

allout13
02-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Any other road cyclers on the board? I am just now getting back into cycling and trying to introduce my husband to the sport. Just curious if anyone knew of any reputable bike shops in the Athens/Winder area?

road cyclist here! unfortunately I'm not familiar with shops in that area at all

he wouldn't by any chance have any track bikes would he?

Princess12
02-13-2010, 09:34 AM
I ride both road and mountain. I didn't know you rode Erin. Hit me up if you ever want to ride. I try to ride the road to get stronger but mountain is so much more fun. :)

Yeah, Brian! I didn't know you cycled either! I haven't rode in a couple years, but lately I have really wanted to get back into it. Rick has never ridden before, and I think it would be a fun thing for us to do together if I can get him to stick with it. We are getting a trailer for our daughter so she can ride along with us locally. I will definitely let you know once we get everything together, and we'll go ride one weekend or something!

BABY J
02-13-2010, 09:38 AM
BAM-BAM is the IA cycle King - I'm sure he can help you out.

Princess12
02-13-2010, 09:42 AM
BAM-BAM is the IA cycle King - I'm sure he can help you out.

Thanks! I will shoot him a PM!

Machado
02-15-2010, 01:07 PM
i just head of this "Silver Comet Trail" looks like its a nice place to ride. has anyone been on it?

allout13
02-15-2010, 04:07 PM
i just head of this "Silver Comet Trail" looks like its a nice place to ride. has anyone been on it?
I've ridden a good bit of it and the Chief Ladiga trail that it connects to at the GA/AL border. It's not a bad place to ride. No worrying about traffic, very flat. It just gets boring over longer distances.

mikethumbs92
02-15-2010, 08:52 PM
i live in athens and deal with the hub bikes they are great guy and there are all kinds of rides starting in the summer. they actually used to be the team i rode for till i got hit

Princess12
02-15-2010, 09:25 PM
i live in athens and deal with the hub bikes they are great guy and there are all kinds of rides starting in the summer. they actually used to be the team i rode for till i got hit

Thanks! I will check in with them as well! Sorry to hear that you got hit... that is awful!

mikethumbs92
02-15-2010, 09:27 PM
yea it was a hit and run. i gotta start ridin again to get in shape. what kind of bike do you have

Machado
02-15-2010, 09:48 PM
I've ridden a good bit of it and the Chief Ladiga trail that it connects to at the GA/AL border. It's not a bad place to ride. No worrying about traffic, very flat. It just gets boring over longer distances.

Cool, i will have to check it out.

Princess12
02-16-2010, 06:53 AM
yea it was a hit and run. i gotta start ridin again to get in shape. what kind of bike do you have

I'm sorry to hear that!

Well... right now, I am without a bike. I quit riding several years ago due to overall lack of time, and I'm just now trying to get back into it. I'm looking for a decent used bike at this point, but I'm having a hard time finding one. We have found a decent starter bike for my husband, but women's bikes or smaller men's frames seem to be in short supply. I'm sure my budget isn't helping either lol!

mikethumbs92
02-16-2010, 07:18 AM
well the hub has trek bikes starting at like 700 or 800 new. not to bad of a price. if you and you husband wanna know someplaces to ride get in touch with me on here and ill show some places

Princess12
02-16-2010, 07:31 AM
well the hub has trek bikes starting at like 700 or 800 new. not to bad of a price. if you and you husband wanna know someplaces to ride get in touch with me on here and ill show some places

Thanks! I appreciate that! I have looked at the Trek 1 Series several times, and it is definitely a contender.

mikethumbs92
02-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks! I appreciate that! I have looked at the Trek 1 Series several times, and it is definitely a contender.
yea treks are good bikes. i got the next step down and have a lemond

Princess12
02-16-2010, 12:42 PM

Do they still make LeMond bikes? I thought I read something a while back about Trek and LeMond going their separate ways.

mikethumbs92
02-16-2010, 12:52 PM
Do they still make LeMond bikes? I thought I read something a while back about Trek and LeMond going their separate ways.
no lemond is no more. but all lemond was is a trek with lemond stickers. u live in athens?

Princess12
02-16-2010, 01:15 PM
no lemond is no more. but all lemond was is a trek with lemond stickers. u live in athens?

That's what I thought... My memory isn't so bad after all!

We live in the Bethlehem/Winder area.... not too far from Athens.

allout13
02-16-2010, 01:22 PM

Step down?
I LOVE my Lemond!

Since 2008 I believe :(

I was always under the impression that despite Trek built the bikes, Lemond had their own distinct frame geometry. :dunno:

mikethumbs92
02-16-2010, 02:09 PM
yea they did but it was made by trek. and when i say step down im always comparing to the trek madone

mikethumbs92
02-16-2010, 09:23 PM
if you wanna come to athens and check out either of the shops then it would be awesome. always good to see new faces

tdhallday
03-02-2010, 10:24 PM
bmx!