PDA

View Full Version : Tax return amending..

JITB
02-10-2010, 06:31 PM
well my gf got a "fool" to do her taxes, and i was reading about getting it amended, because its already been submitted. Has anyone ever gone thru it? It was just submitted today.

allmotorX
02-10-2010, 06:51 PM
How did he file

JITB
02-10-2010, 06:52 PM
How did he file

i beleive "she" lol filed 1040 regular.. but i don think they did it right or messed something up, and i wanted to get it done again by someone esle or something..

allmotorX
02-10-2010, 06:56 PM
She might be able to take it to a. professional to get amended that's what I have to do

JITB
02-10-2010, 07:10 PM
She might be able to take it to a. professional to get amended that's what I have to do

have u done it already? whats the process like?

allmotorX
02-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Well I left off one of my w2's so I have to add it on she shouldn't have to do to much its easy

JennB
02-10-2010, 07:57 PM
What does she think is wrong with it?

You will use a form 1040x and it's really not difficult to fill out.

JITB
02-10-2010, 10:05 PM
What does she think is wrong with it?

You will use a form 1040x and it's really not difficult to fill out.

yea i was just reading about it... i just dont think the person taht did hers got the most out of it... but taxs have alot of variables.. in it..

cjhutch
02-10-2010, 11:06 PM
I had to do one about two years ago because I got some information wrong on my 1099. Mine was a major screw up because I did not calculate my capital gains correctly. I took all my paperwork up to H&R Block and explained what I needed. Luckily I got someone there that was really familiar with the process and he walked me right through everything. The most important part is writing your explanation and making sure you keep copies and mail everything to the right places. The Federal side took almost 3 months to get approved from when I sent it to getting the letter in the mail saying my amended return was approved. On the state side I knew someone that worked there so things went through much faster. I think it was only a month. If she ends up making payments while waiting for the decision and she is owed money back afterwards they will reimburse her with interest. The thing to remember is that she needs to include the amount of interest she receives this year on next years tax return.

ironchef
02-10-2010, 11:07 PM
You have to wait until its a) accepted by the gov and b) she has gotten her refund or has paid the tax she was supposed to. After that you can file an amendment.

JITB
02-11-2010, 12:09 AM
thanks for the information!

cjhutch
02-11-2010, 10:17 PM
You have to wait until its a) accepted by the gov and b) she has gotten her refund or has paid the tax she was supposed to. After that you can file an amendment.

Not necessarily. I setup a payment plan because I knew I did not owe the money. That way instead of being out a huge chunk while I waited for the amended return to be accepted I ended up only making three of the twelve payments and getting the money back.

JennB
02-12-2010, 09:35 AM
You don't have to wait until it is processed, you only have to submit the 1040X after the original. It could be a few days, week or up to three years after the original is filed.

JDM onlyy
02-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Anyone know someone that can do an amendment for me for a good price? I filed my taxes and didn't know I was getting a 1098-T from school, so I need to go back and file an amendment.

BB6dohcvtec
02-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Could I amend my taxes on turbotax since I filed through the site? I received my 1099-SA late from the bank handling my HSA account.

HatchHero
03-18-2010, 02:21 PM
next time do turbo tax! ive been doing it for the last three years and it is sooo awesome. It saves all of your info, gets all your deductions, and even has an audit rate level for you. and its cheap btw

JITB
03-18-2010, 03:37 PM
i did turbo tax last year and it sucks....lol missed out on alot of deductions