PDA

View Full Version : Tech Question for the car guys on the boards...

Paul
02-09-2010, 04:55 PM
I take my 2009 GTI which just hit 20k miles to Dwight Harrison for service - cars fine service dept doesn't say anything to me. I go to Mahdavi next week for new tires... "Paul you need rear pads the driver side is uneven and looks like a problem with caliper - passenger side is perfect". They instruct for me to talk to VW... fast forward to today. Sir there is nothing wrong w/ your car this is normal - says Dwight Harrison Service department.

What do you guys think? I've called two other shops including Jim Ellis they all say it sounds like a caliper issue. Is Dwight Harrison being CHEAP and wasting my time or this is normal?

Scotsman
02-09-2010, 04:59 PM
id say stop goin to dwight

DVSRX-7
02-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Dwight Harrison being CHEAP and wasting my time

This, they are being lazy fucks again. fix the caliper, it will save your life later on.

Scotsman
02-09-2010, 05:00 PM
if two other dealers and MM say its a caliper , id lean towards dwight just being a DB

EL42
02-09-2010, 05:04 PM
yup what they said

gtikid
02-09-2010, 05:06 PM
I hate Dwight. I took my GTi there when I bent my valves and they told me, "Well, we can get you a new head for about $10,000, or you can go with a used one for $6,000." The fuck?!

thecrazyone
02-09-2010, 05:08 PM
interesting, when i owned a VW and went to D.H for oil changes and what not, they would always have something they wanted me to spend more money on/FINDING things for me to spend money on, including new brakes way before i needed them.

Paul
02-09-2010, 05:08 PM
I hate Dwight. I took my GTi there when I bent my valves and they told me, "Well, we can get you a new head for about $10,000, or you can go with a used one for $6,000." The fuck?!

They are such dipshits... I'm going out to kudzu and every other rating system to rate them b/c they suck so bad!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4756955

^ lets see what the VW gurus say :cheers:

DVSRX-7
02-09-2010, 05:13 PM
They are such dipshits... I'm going out to kudzu and every other rating system to rate them b/c they suck so bad!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4756955

^ lets see what the VW gurus say :cheers:

Don't go back to them, I've had some of my customers coming back to me complaining that they do shit work or want a million dollars for something done.

Your best bet would be to change the caliper & re- bleed your front brakes, for equal brake pressure on each side.

Paul
02-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Don't go back to them, I've had some of my customers coming back to me complaining that they do shit work or want a million dollars for something done.

Your best bet would be to change the caliper & re- bleed your front brakes, for equal brake pressure on each side.

appreciate it i'm going to probably just have eurotech or mahdavi to it for me. it just pisses me off b/c the car is new and this shit should be covered under warranty.

blaknoize
02-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Wrong sections Paul!!

And clearly that isnt normal, all other answers have been given.

Vteckidd
02-09-2010, 05:20 PM
They are fucking you ask to speak with service manager and show him pics. Also write the vw regional office and tell them 3 other dependable capable shops agree caliper is bad. If the problem isn't fixed you will take it to another dealer for all further service wor

a 200$ caliper is worth fixing if you threaten to take it elsewhere

plus no pad should ever wear that unevenly ask them to tell you why it does that explain how that is "normal"

Dracc
02-09-2010, 05:23 PM
hey paul.. are you still in the same spot across from my house? hit me up man.. i'll be in GA friday

5speed
02-09-2010, 05:24 PM
They are fucking you ask to speak with service manager and show him pics. Also write the vw regional office and tell them 3 other dependable capable shops agree caliper is bad. If the problem isn't fixed you will take it to another dealer for all further service wor

a 200$ caliper is worth fixing if you threaten to take it elsewhere

plus no pad should ever wear that unevenly ask them to tell you why it does that explain how that is "normal"

Exactly, that is just ridiculous how they dont acknowledge the problem

Scotsman
02-09-2010, 05:26 PM
hey paul.. are you still in the same spot across from my house? hit me up man.. i'll be in GA friday:ninja:

DVSRX-7
02-09-2010, 05:28 PM
appreciate it i'm going to probably just have eurotech or mahdavi to it for me. it just pisses me off b/c the car is new and this shit should be covered under warranty.

Your welcome, Mahdavi does good work :goodjob:

& let your insurance know about this, see if they can do anything about it.
or take the bill to the dealer & tell them :2up:

Dracc
02-09-2010, 05:41 PM
:ninja:

you sir have a PM :D:bump:

Kevykev
02-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Is Dwight Harrison being CHEAP and wasting my time or this is normal?

How bout: It's normal for DH to be cheap by wasting your time. ;)

EP3sAreFun
02-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Hey paul why don't you just try another dealer? Another dealer will probably give you a different answer

Tell them its shaking while you drive, and that Dwight is treating you like crap, and you can see a difference and that something isn't braking right.

Dealers LOVE undercutting each other and making competitors look like assholes :)

Double_0_Rusty
02-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Paul, could be that the caliper slide pin wasn't properly lubed, and is now sticking as you apply pressure to the brakes. At 20k miles, this should NOT be an issue, but it happens. I work at a Nissan dealership, and the other day I had a 2009 Maxima come in, with this issue. I'd check the slide pins, first. Then would flirt with replacing the caliper. Could be a cheap easy fix, or infact could be that the caliper is faulty, or I could be completely wrong. Just my two cents.

Echonova
02-09-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm guessing at 20k this is the first time the brakes have been off, so if the pin wasn't lubed it was from the factory. In my mind that means you replace that shit...

Double_0_Rusty
02-09-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm guessing at 20k this is the first time the brakes have been off, so if the pin wasn't lubed it was from the factory. In my mind that means you replace that shit...

Yeah, I forgot to add that part, but considering the milage and how it is worn it should be covered under factory warranty. If not, that is some bullshit.

Hell Paul, bring it by VW here in Athens, Im sure they would be glad to check it out for you, and should you come, bring all prior paperwork from DH. VW is apart of my dealership, along with Mercedes Benz.

Paul
02-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I forgot to add that part, but considering the milage and how it is worn it should be covered under factory warranty. If not, that is some bullshit.

Hell Paul, bring it by VW here in Athens, Im sure they would be glad to check it out for you, and should you come, bring all prior paperwork from DH. VW is apart of my dealership, along with Mercedes Benz.

I might take you up on that... i'm going to try to swing by Jim Ellis today.

Elbow
02-10-2010, 08:11 AM
id say stop goin to dwight

http://btr.michaelkwan.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/office-dwight.jpg

ironchef
02-10-2010, 09:00 AM
This seems like an issue that should be covered by warranty. It would be one thing if all the brakes were worn evenly, but its obviously not the case here. Try Jim Ellis or Gossett in Alpharetta. I've never heard good things about DH.

Jaimecbr900
02-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Dude, you really gonna let them stick it to you with no lube like that???? :ninja::D

Ok, I'll meet you up there at DH and chew on some VW service dept's tail. I'll tell em I'm your attorney and we gonna sue them until we get a new A8 or 911 out of em......word? :D

Seriously Paul, you didn't raise enough hell with those guys. I'll come up there with you. I can get loud if need be, you know that. :D

BTW, you never did call me back and tell me what's going on with the other stuff. Call me. :goodjob:

Nittanys1
02-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Paul they dont want to admit that there is a problem with the brakes because you car is under warranty

thecrazyone they found things wrong with your car prob because it was out of warranty ;)

ironchef
02-10-2010, 10:49 AM
BTW is that a Dell XPS 13/16 in the pics? How do you like it? I want to get a new XPS 13 but they just took it off the website :(, hopefully they're not discontinuing it.

Paul
02-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Dude, you really gonna let them stick it to you with no lube like that???? :ninja::D

Ok, I'll meet you up there at DH and chew on some VW service dept's tail. I'll tell em I'm your attorney and we gonna sue them until we get a new A8 or 911 out of em......word? :D

Seriously Paul, you didn't raise enough hell with those guys. I'll come up there with you. I can get loud if need be, you know that. :D

BTW, you never did call me back and tell me what's going on with the other stuff. Call me. :goodjob:

i'm going to Jim Ellis today as the general manager called me back to basically play stupid on the phone and say "i'm curious to see what they say at another dealership"

BTW is that a Dell XPS 13/16 in the pics? How do you like it? I want to get a new XPS 13 but they just took it off the website :(, hopefully they're not discontinuing it.
its a dell studio 15 fully loaded... its the one i have up for sale :goodjob:

Hulud
02-10-2010, 11:51 AM
better business bureau FTMFW

they will change their act asap

Init2winit
02-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Paul, could be that the caliper slide pin wasn't properly lubed, and is now sticking as you apply pressure to the brakes. At 20k miles, this should NOT be an issue, but it happens. I work at a Nissan dealership, and the other day I had a 2009 Maxima come in, with this issue. I'd check the slide pins, first. Then would flirt with replacing the caliper. Could be a cheap easy fix, or infact could be that the caliper is faulty, or I could be completely wrong. Just my two cents.
x2

Total_Blender
02-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Is it a front or rear caliper?

Sometimes the VW rear calipers will hang up because moisture gets into the e-brake cable when the e-brake is set and freezes, leaving the E-brake cable tight until it thaws out. And sometimes the cables just stick for no apparent reason... I had it happen to me once after I swapped my VW to discs. Brand new cable, lubed 'er up with graphite, 80 degrees outside, and it still managed to get stuck.

Paul
02-10-2010, 02:39 PM
well guys i'm 0/2 i had another dealer basically say this is common and nothing they can fix as it isn't an issue. i am expected to be replacing the pads on the driver rear side 2x as much as the others. *slaps head* i'm at a loss right now.

in the words of Sam Mahdavi "why don't you just buy a honda?"

Echonova
02-10-2010, 02:43 PM
well guys i'm 0/2 i had another dealer basically say this is common and nothing they can fix as it isn't an issue. i am expected to be replacing the pads on the driver rear side 2x as much as the others. *slaps head* i'm at a loss right now.

in the words of Sam Mahdavi "why don't you just buy a honda?"You are being too nice... Uneven brake wear can lead to an unsafe condition. With the rash of recalls going around the last thing VW needs is safety complaints.

I would not have left until I saw at least the general manager and given a satisfactory anwser.

Paul
02-10-2010, 03:31 PM
You are being too nice... Uneven brake wear can lead to an unsafe condition. With the rash of recalls going around the last thing VW needs is safety complaints.

I would not have left until I saw at least the general manager and given a satisfactory anwser.

i'm going to contact VW directly as this can not be what they are training their service departments to tell customers about this issue.

squirrel
02-10-2010, 03:55 PM

ITS THE SLIDE PINS! im reading thing s about the caliper being fucked up. i work at a no name tire shop and i could tell u tht. how the fuk can i not get a job at a dealer. :2cents:

Nittanys1
02-10-2010, 04:09 PM
that sucks Paul....

ITS THE SLIDE PINS! im reading thing s about the caliper being fucked up. i work at a no name tire shop and i could tell u tht. how the fuk can i not get a job at a dealer. :2cents:

because you 20 and have 16 posts :) jk man, do you have your certifications?

Double_0_Rusty
02-10-2010, 06:05 PM

Hey man keep trying. This is my 3rd dealer in almost 7 years. Worked my way up from being a parts runner at 16, then lube tech at 19, now certified tech at 22. Also, it's about who you know too.

that sucks Paul....

because you 20 and have 16 posts :) jk man, do you have your certifications?

Age does play a factor, a big one. But doesn't mean anything. lolol
They didn't want to insure me to drive vehicles at Nissan (current job) because I am under 25. I asked them "How am I supposed to work on them when I cant drive them?". Lmao.

JJSPEC Racing
02-10-2010, 07:29 PM
If the slide pin is stuck it usually results in the pads in that caliper to wear unevenly(like diagonally) usually. Contacting VW directly and asking to set up an appt with the District Service Manager may be the hot ticket.

Crazy Asian
02-10-2010, 08:37 PM

in the words of Sam Mahdavi "why don't you just buy a honda?"

or a Hyundai? LOL

OG-Skinny
02-11-2010, 09:41 PM
One way to check that, if you have the tool, is to go for a drive, and use the brakes a lot. Stop somewhere and use a Infrared Thermometer and measure the temperatures of the two rear calipers.

If one is WAY off from the other, which from your pads I suspect it to be a big difference, you have a faulty caliper OR an e-brake cable that doesn't loosen completely before your drive. Theoretically the wear is even on the pad (no side to side variation, which would involve a bad slide pin.

Sum it up P, take that shit to a dealer and demand it to be fixed under warranty. 20K miles for rear brakes is way short. I've seen rear brakes go to almost 80K before being replaced (on small cars).

GL man!

MINI
02-11-2010, 10:52 PM
You should fuck with Dwight really really bad.

JITB
02-12-2010, 12:21 AM
are they seating the brakes properly when they putting them back on? Or are they just doing a test drive and smashing on the the brakes until the abs kicks on?