PDA

View Full Version : Aperture

Nerdsrock22
02-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Fellas.

I just bought my new iMac on Saturday and decided to pick up Aperture with it. From the little bit I messed with it at the store, it looked like it would be a pretty hand tool for organization and batch editing.

I got everything installed last night, and imported some pics from my Nikon (about 50 RAWs). The previews on the import looked fine, but once I got them on the harddrive, I can't view them, or it just takes forever.

Anybody have experience with this? Or Aperture in general. I kinda took a chance on this (you know how things can get in the Mac Store) and I hope I won't regret it. :???:

punkr6
02-08-2010, 01:01 PM
its a MAC, you will never regret it...

87 Turbo II
02-08-2010, 01:08 PM

wow that answered all of his questions....

Haha seriously though, it looks like a great program, and I know tons of people use it to organize RAWs. I don't own a Mac, I wanted one for the longest time, but I do know it is a very popular program for many of the users on a photography site I am part of. They never mentioned RAWs taking forever, so I'd contact an Apple genius if I were you. If you paid for the program, I think the store will let you ask the art genius (from what I remember, they've got specialized music, media, art, business geniuses at the store that know those categories very well) for free. Good luck figuring it out, I wish I could provide a more complete answer.

My 2 (completely guess inspired) suggestions are that you make sure that aperture has the latest software update available, and that you're not overlooking some sort of aperture-specific Raw file type that needs a quick conversion before running in the program properly. I know Adobe has it's own RAW file format (file extension .ADN which stands for Adobe Digital Negative) that will open faster in Photoshop and save with a smaller file size. Of course PHotoshop's Camera Raw can read RAW files right off thecamera too, but the native format to run as fast as possible is ADN.

Nerdsrock22
02-08-2010, 01:38 PM

False.

My 2 (completely guess inspired) suggestions are that you make sure that aperture has the latest software update available, and that you're not overlooking some sort of aperture-specific Raw file type that needs a quick conversion before running in the program properly. I know Adobe has it's own RAW file format (file extension .ADN which stands for Adobe Digital Negative) that will open faster in Photoshop and save with a smaller file size. Of course PHotoshop's Camera Raw can read RAW files right off thecamera too, but the native format to run as fast as possible is ADN.

I'm going to check to see if there are any software updates when I get home from work, and I've seen some info on the Mac forums that that might be the fix. My frustration lies in that I had a working, yet slightly cumbersome, workflow with iPhoto and Photoshop Elements with my Powerbook, and it feels like I'm at square one again ($2000 later).

A.A
02-09-2010, 12:02 PM
False.

I'm going to check to see if there are any software updates when I get home from work, and I've seen some info on the Mac forums that that might be the fix. My frustration lies in that I had a working, yet slightly cumbersome, workflow with iPhoto and Photoshop Elements with my Powerbook, and it feels like I'm at square one again ($2000 later).

Probably should have tried out the 1 month free trial, on any program they offer from Adobe to see if it works for you.

I find it hard to believe that Aperture won't work well with your mac... yet it should be leaps and bounds better than the software Nikon provides with their cameras (poke at Nikon vs Canon).

At any rate, I hope it is as simple as an update for you to get things worked out...this stuff shouldn't happen with Macs.

Nerdsrock22
02-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Finally got the update done. Everything works perfect.

Silly Apple and their OS's.

A.A
02-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Finally got the update done. Everything works perfect.

Silly Apple and their OS's.

great news man! get crackin on that new workflow.