PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Top Gear - Worst 20 Cars list

1SICKLEX
02-05-2010, 01:38 PM
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/worst_20_cars?utm_source=newsletter2&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Group2D

1. G-Wiz
http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac236/Geechie_S/G-wiz.jpg
Surely the inevitable choice at TopGear, but the G-Wiz may also be Mankind’s worst ever car. And that it dresses up its inadequacies with a tissue-thin veil of environmentalism only makes it more contemptible. For starters, it’s so slow you might as well walk, but it’s also lethally cramped inside and apparently both styled and assembled in the dark.

We crash-tested this one in controlled conditions. But the importers say the results don’t matter, since it’s classed as a quadracycle and therefore doesn’t technically need to be safe. That’s a relief...

2. Rover 45
The 400 Series, that later spawned the 45 in a desperate bid to stay alive, was the moment – albeit a 15-year-long moment – when Rover really hit the skids. With lacklustre styling, shoddy reliability from gutless K-Series engines and vastly more modern rivals like the Ford Focus leaving it for dead, this was British car manufacturing at its lowest ebb. If the Phoenix Four drove the nails, the 45 built the coffin.

3. Jaguar XJ220

Look past the XJ220’s armour-piercing aerodynamics, and you’ll find a tangled web of back-tracking and courtroom drama. The much-vaunted 200mph, 4WD, V12 supercar ended up a 2WD V6 with vicious turbo-lag and no ABS. And the price went up by 10 per cent. Prospective owners wanting their £50k deposit back took Jaguar to court, and lost.

The XJ220 could have been great, but big ambition got kicked in the nuts by emission regulations and recession. Sounds familiar?

4. Jaguar X-Type
There was a lot of marketing piffle when the X-Type was launched about how you could now get a Jag for ‘Mondeo money’. Ironic really – the X-Type was just a Mondeo, but more expensive.

5. Mercedes Maybach
On realising that the Rolls-Royce Phantom was set to summarily open a can of whoop-ass in the segment where the S-Class had rolled out its beach towel, the bods at Mercedes came up with the Maybach. The benchmark for bad taste, it’s essentially an incredibly expensive motorhome without a loo.

7. TVR Cerbera

Ah, TVR. No list of motoring misery would be complete without one of Blackpool’s fatal attractions cropping up somewhere. The Cerbera looked like a dangerously ill-conceived dildo, and while it briefly laid claim to being the fastest production car in the world, it seldom worked for long enough for anyone to find out. Which made up for the absence of any recognisable safety features.

8. Suzuki X-90

Few cars in history have been so utterly lacking in redeeming features. The faux-4x4-cum-coupe that was the X-90 failed in absolutely every respect of its design, neither being able to cope off road nor on it. There was no space inside for your pseudo-sporty lifestyle either, and the targa roof was a disaster.

9. Merceded ML 55 AMG
In order to save money, Mercedes decided to build the ML in Alabama. This overlooked the fact that it would, therefore, be built by Americans. The original ML was, therefore, one of the least reliable cars Merc has ever sent to market, and the AMG version was the most overpriced atrocity of the whole pitiful bunch.

10. BMW M6
Where the oringial M6 was an involving union between man and machine, today’s tech-heavy offering, where you access the car’s full power through the ‘M’ settings menu in the iDrive, is about as visceral and sporty an experience as taking your mum on at golf on the Nintendo Wii.

11. Chrysler PT Cruiser Covt.
Since the dawn of time, there has always been a small section of the human race that just doesn’t get it. Those that totally miss the Zeitgeist and are forever locked in a desperate, doomed struggle for survival: vegan cavemen, the Amish, the BNP, Robbie Williams. And the designers of the Chrysler PT Cruiser Cabriolet. No car in history has more completely missed the target, with its garbled combination of future-retro machismo and that clumsy, effete afterthought of a drop top. If there is a car in the world more embarrassing to be seen driving, we can’t think of it. And nor would we want to.

12. Kia Rio
You can hardly be surprised to see a Kia in this illustrious list of lemons. That the company is enjoying a turnaround these days just makes how stunningly inept the Rio was all the more remarkable. It was slow, ugly and poorly put together using materials that look more carcinogenic than a weekend in Chernobyl.

13. Ssanyong Rodius

Being the black sheep of Korea’s vast automotive export market is quite a feat. Like being the prisoner in the sex offender’s wing that no one will share a cell with.

The Ssangyong Rodius is retinal violation of biblical proportions from the country that invented aesthetic crimes against motoring humanity. This is the Frankenstein school of car design: chopping the ugly bits off other, almost as ugly cars, then welding them together in an awful hurry before attaching a battery. Form and function need to be closely allied when it comes to cars. The Rodius is magnificently short on both. Which is an alliance of sorts.

14. Toyota Corolla

The most widely sold car in history is also a front-runner for the dullest. Since its loveless inception in 1966, the Toyota Corolla has existed purely as a grimly functional tool of transport. Over 35 million of them have been sold worldwide, reputedly at the rate of one a second for 40 years of its lifespan, a fact that causes every proper car lover to die a little inside.

15. Vauxhall Frontera

The lifestyle SUV wallowed into the British consciousness with the US-sourced Frontera, a comically incompetent soft-roader that lured cash-rich, taste-poor young tossers from their hot hatches into something more ‘individual’. Solid gold ****, it spawned a whole generation of the same.

16. Vauxhall Tigra
The second-generation Tigra perfectly encapsulates everything that is initially irritating and ultimately profoundly humiliating about a car whose solitary selling point is a folding metal roof. Painfully slow, clumsy in the corners, noisy, embarrassing and a Vauxhall, the Tigra is everything TopGear doesn’t want a car to be. Ooh, but look, the roof goes down...

17. Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
The SUV market is big business these days, but only because it is a business tailoring lifestyle statements to suit the whims of Major League arseholes. Porsche’s Cayenne Turbo S is the epitome of this in car design, where brilliant engineering is being poured into making pointless, cynical toss on wheels.

18. Dodge Nitro

It’s difficult for British people to fully comprehend how a car like the Dodge Nitro can exist in the 21st century. It is nigh-on impossible to drive due to the driver’s footwell being made almost entirely of transmission tunnel. It’s also noisy, appallingly finished and corners with all the composure of an Eighties pickup truck. All of which we’d overlook if it didn’t look like it was sculpted by a five-year-old with a bucket of clay and a house brick.

19. Vauxhall Vectra
TopGear has an unhappy relationship with the first Vauxhall Vectra. There was a moment on the old TopGear telly where Jeremy refused to even drive it because it was so dull. If Vauxhall had put zero effort into making it, the thinking went, why should he put any effort into testing it?

This did not go down well at Vauxhall, nor at parent company GM’s headquarters in Germany. Vectra sales went through the floor, and lots of oily moustachioed factory workers tried to organise a lynching. The problem was, however, that he was right on the money.

20. Tata Nano
Getting the developing world on to four wheels is a great idea, especially if it means a few more Indians will refrain from attaching their children to the handlebars of vintage Honda Cubs, but there may be consequences.

Making a car that will cost as little as a grand means that a hell of a lot of India’s 1.2 billion -strong population will be able to find a sufficiency of rupees to get Nano’d. Which in turn means what was ‘global warming’ might very well become ‘global Gas Mark 6’.

We in the West aren’t really in a position to criticise, what with starting it all, but the Nano is the new elephant in the room. Apparently it’s also a steaming turd of a car, but you’ll be too busy drowning in polar ice melt to notice.

Evolunchbox
02-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Reps

Destineal
02-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Corolla is one of the most reliable cars

40th GT
02-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Corolla is one of the most reliable cars
Still doesn't impress me.

roscoe
02-05-2010, 04:07 PM
lol at the description on the PT Cruiser vert

G.C
02-06-2010, 12:07 AM
can't believe the m6 is in that list.

slostang
02-06-2010, 01:20 AM
figured the mustang would make it. but i guess they arent big in england.

HypnoToad
02-06-2010, 01:40 AM

i can,i love how the M6 looks......but seems more like a bentley than a M series.

kinda shocked at the XJ220,yea i agree it was gonna be the crazy car that got scrapped,but it was still a badass car.

JITB
02-06-2010, 02:22 AM
xj220 is my fav supercar...:( im a little hurt, but jaguar fucked up when they had to change it to the v6 TT... but i still love'em!

TicketRedBB6
02-06-2010, 04:02 AM
Im surprised the new Insight didn't make it. They hated it.

Me86Rob
02-06-2010, 05:33 AM
Still doesn't impress me.
You should drive an old 1.8 corolla. the torque they make is rediculous. Pushrod ftw. And not to mention the Ae86...not being a fan boy or anything but it was way ahead of its time. The 4age was one of the first twin cam, fuel injected, and 4 valve per cylinder 4cyls ever. Pre-dating the Honda B series motor.

Coupled with 4 wheel discs and LSD...in 1984....C'mon....

alpine_aw11
02-06-2010, 01:40 PM
You should drive an old 1.8 corolla. the torque they make is rediculous. Pushrod ftw. And not to mention the Ae86...not being a fan boy or anything but it was way ahead of its time. The 4age was one of the first twin cam, fuel injected, and 4 valve per cylinder 4cyls ever. Pre-dating the Honda B series motor.

You're right, but when they went FWD is what caused the problem. Toyota was so far ahead of Honda in the 80's and people don't realize it, I hate that shit. Talking about it makes me want my old mr2 back :(

But I'm surprised the Cayenne is on there, I get why someone wouldn't like the overall concept but imo Porsche executed the idea well.

superboost
02-06-2010, 03:44 PM
But I'm surprised the Cayenne is on there, I get why someone wouldn't like the overall concept but imo Porsche executed the idea well.

its fugly, thats why

40th GT
02-07-2010, 10:04 PM

WELL that's a different kind of Corolla. When I read the Corolla description in the OP I thought of the FWD models (not that I'm hating on FWD.)
I call your type of Corollas the AE86 or "Trueno."
:goodjob:

Me86Rob
02-08-2010, 02:35 AM
WELL that's a different kind of Corolla. When I read the Corolla description in the OP I thought of the FWD models (not that I'm hating on FWD.)
I call your type of Corollas the AE86 or "Trueno."
:goodjob:

Why? It's a corolla just as much as any other corolla. It's not a trueno. It's a 1986 corolla sport coupe sr5. No trueno badges. And older Rwd corollas are hella fun too. And the ae92 gts corolla is bad ass.

87 Turbo II
02-08-2010, 04:12 AM
Why? It's a corolla just as much as any other corolla. It's not a trueno. It's a 1986 corolla sport coupe sr5. No trueno badges. And older Rwd corollas are hella fun too. And the ae92 gts corolla is bad ass.

while I'll agree that the RWD corollas should not be considered in the worst cars list. I will say that they (the AE86) are over glorified. I mean, yeah, I also own a live axle, short wheelbase, underpowered car that is fun to drive because you can go full throttle around the entire track, and yeah, it's fun. But some people act like they're the end all be all pinnacle of affordable automotive fun.

40th GT
02-08-2010, 06:53 AM
So you're saying I should place a '98 corolla and your 86 in the same category? Because that 98 that I drove didn't have that ridiculous amount of torque that you speak of. I didn't find any pushrods in it either.

On_Her_Face
02-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Hey Hypnotoad, where is the "Iron Bull" on this list? Did I miss it?

Me86Rob
02-08-2010, 12:21 PM
So you're saying I should place a '98 corolla and your 86 in the same category? Because that 98 that I drove didn't have that ridiculous amount of torque that you speak of. I didn't find any pushrods in it either.

the ae86 isn't a pushrod car. The 4ag makes no torque. It's not like it's some special corolla. But it wAs innovative stthe time. And 87T2, the corolla was out before the FI 13b. The fact still remains that the 4ag was ahead of it's time as was the whole car. But it's still just a corolla

HypnoToad
02-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Hey Hypnotoad, where is the "Iron Bull" on this list? Did I miss it?

iron bull?

i know they could have put the 82 camaro with the iron duke:no:

87 Turbo II
02-08-2010, 01:40 PM
the ae86 isn't a pushrod car. The 4ag makes no torque. It's not like it's some special corolla. But it wAs innovative stthe time. And 87T2, the corolla was out before the FI 13b. The fact still remains that the 4ag was ahead of it's time as was the whole car. But it's still just a corolla

It was ahead of its time cause of the DOHC layout and FI, but I thought it came out in 84, same year as the FI 13B Fb (GSL-SE), also the 12A Nikki Rx-7s were about as quick as the corollas on the track. I'd be willing to bet that if the rotary hadn't scared off so many people who didn't want something so new and alien, the FB Rx-7 would be just as popular as the AE86. They're practically the same car in terms of driving dynamics and layout, I just don't understand how it rose to the levels of glory it has achieved. Fun cheap cars will always have a place in people's hearts, but the drift event at turner frield where crowd was cheering for the AE86 over the Drift Iporium Supercharged-Titan powered G35s was just retarded. It's one of those, "know your place" kind of scenarios. All of that being said, I respect the AE86, so don't think I'm hating, like I said it's practically a piston powered first gen Rx-7 so I can't hate it, but WAY over rated at least in factory trim levels.

40th GT
02-08-2010, 09:21 PM
OK. I stand corrected.

It was ahead of its time cause of the DOHC layout and FI, but I thought it came out in 84, same year as the FI 13B Fb (GSL-SE), also the 12A Nikki Rx-7s were about as quick as the corollas on the track. I'd be willing to bet that if the rotary hadn't scared off so many people who didn't want something so new and alien, the FB Rx-7 would be just as popular as the AE86. They're practically the same car in terms of driving dynamics and layout, I just don't understand how it rose to the levels of glory it has achieved. Fun cheap cars will always have a place in people's hearts, but the drift event at turner frield where crowd was cheering for the AE86 over the Drift Iporium Supercharged-Titan powered G35s was just retarded. It's one of those, "know your place" kind of scenarios. All of that being said, I respect the AE86, so don't think I'm hating, like I said it's practically a piston powered first gen Rx-7 so I can't hate it, but WAY over rated at least in factory trim levels.
I completely agree with this post, especially the bold letters. I guess the audience at that event just wanted to support the "underdog."
*runs and hides

otter4x4
02-08-2010, 10:15 PM
So true on the PT Cruiser. Had one for a rental once and I thought it was going to blow up at 80mph on the highway :lmfao:

VooDooXII
02-08-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm surprised the TVR Cerbera is on there.

Kamikaze
02-08-2010, 11:41 PM

I can. The only M6 that matters:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/4338487989_cbaaee648a.jpg

Shift_2WIN
02-09-2010, 01:41 AM
We can thank Initial D for that lol

Me86Rob
02-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Just did a quick search, and in 1984, a base model 7 cost $5,000 more than a base model Corolla sport coupe. So, they performed the same on the track, but one was almost half the price of the other.....

Me86Rob
02-09-2010, 11:42 AM
and the GSL-SE cost $6,000 more than GTS corolla.

87 Turbo II
02-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Just did a quick search, and in 1984, a base model 7 cost $5,000 more than a base model Corolla sport coupe. So, they performed the same on the track, but one was almost half the price of the other.....

Well in 1983a base Rx-7 was $9,895 and in 1985 a base Rx-7 was $10,945(I couldn't find 84, but it'd be bwtween there)

In 1984 a base FWD corolla was $6,990. That's about at 3.5K difference. I couldn't for the life of me find the new price of the RWD models, but I'm sure they're a little higher. If you've got a reliable source, let me know. mine are commercials.

1984 corolla ad:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0gGHnn0mJs

1983 Rx-7 ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRFSBZYI6j0&feature=related
1985 Rx-7 ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwMMWiijIEk&feature=related

Also, aside from new price points altogether, in the used market you get much cheaper Rx7s now than AE86s.

Me86Rob
02-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Acording to NADA. I have the window sticker for my old Z car, and I checked and this thing is pretty acurate.

PRICING: 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS

Original MSRP: $9,298
Low Retail Average Retail Value High Retail
Base Price $1,625 $2,175 $2,925

PRICING: 1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE

Original MSRP: $15,645
Low Retail Average Retail Value High Retail
Base Price $2,450 $3,425 $5,075