PDA

View Full Version : Paint tips needed??

zdcarver12
02-03-2010, 12:15 AM
I'm planning on painting a set of wheels i have white with rattle cans.my question is would you use a flat white and a can of clearcoat,or a flat white,or just a gloss white and leave it at that?suggestions anyone?

Stuntman G
02-03-2010, 12:31 AM
I would just get a quart of acrylic urethane and spray it right for $30. I have never had a set of rattle-canned rims that didn't look like crap a month later. Do it right, it will last you much much longer and look 10x better. (my $.02)

zdcarver12
02-03-2010, 12:45 AM
i was going to look for the cheap way to see how they look on my car but i appreciate the help.i may end up doing that anyways.

zdcarver12
02-03-2010, 12:57 AM
i'm not really sure what the acrylic urethane is but could you explain more?sorry if i sound like a DA haha.would you spray a flat white or gloss white?i don't want them to stand out more than the color of my car ya know,i have a white car and i want the colors to be fairly close.

Stuntman G
02-03-2010, 10:52 AM
i'm not really sure what the acrylic urethane is but could you explain more?sorry if i sound like a DA haha.would you spray a flat white or gloss white?

Acrylic urethane is one of the easiest types of paint to spray with. It can be bought by the quart (I usually go to Summit for mine). One quart is quite enough for a set of wheels, probably two. If you want a matte finish, you have to add an extra agent for that, and iirc it is rather expensive. Here is a full write-up of how I painted my bike (and my helmet, and a skateboard, and a ps2 controller . . . ) last summer http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=50319.0

chuck
02-03-2010, 11:26 AM
the rattle can gloss white shouldn't stand out more than your car...make sure you get the wheel super clean and oil/grease free before you start, a good degreaser will be best at the stage...scuff them with some scotch brite (after cleaning...don't just scuff the oils in) until they don't shine, clean again with soap and water, i leave of the more 'harsh' chemicals here to be safe unless they are specific PAINT PREP chemicals...or even just water will be fine, you should only be washing off sanding dust.

start with a light coat, don't try to cover the old color in a couple coats...the first coat should just be a light dusting, wait 4-5 minutes then build color/thickness slowly giving a few minutes between coats. dust the tight areas a little extra in the earlier coats to help avoid runs (paint too wet) later.

it can be done and look just fine...but be ready for touch-ups when you get tires changed.

zdcarver12
02-03-2010, 05:12 PM
thanks,i'll have some pictures up this weekend.

LilToySupra
02-03-2010, 08:02 PM
not sure what route you are going, but i rattled a set once and they still look great. i sanded mine down, primered, painted, and cleared em.... all for around 10 bucks. just a thought...

zdcarver12
02-04-2010, 09:02 AM
yeah i plan to rattle can the set i have since i'm on a low budget ha.
where did you get your paint and clear at?

zdcarver12
02-06-2010, 01:40 PM
uj

zdcarver12
02-06-2010, 01:41 PM
So i got the wheels and just rattle canned them a flat white.I plan on putting another coat or two on them but this will do for now.

http://i47.tinypic.com/24o7itc.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/10ye1ok.jpg

Scotsman
02-06-2010, 01:42 PM
looks good , any close up pics?

zdcarver12
02-06-2010, 01:44 PM
damn you're calling me out to show my mistakes?ha jk.i don't have any up yet but i'll try to get some.