PDA

View Full Version : Icon on desktop to switch ISP

oneSLOWex
02-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Trying to figure out how to setup icons to switch to a different internet service here at work. We have EPB and Comcast and there used to be icons setup on the desktop where you could just click to switch to either one if the other was down. All the computers have be re-formated over time and the icons are no longer there. The owner is too fucking cheap to hire someone....so here I am. I have tried searching and cant find anything at all.

We do not have a domain or any kind of workgroup (secure as fawk isnt it?:rolleyes:)
Everything just runs into a router through a patch panel in a closet.
I can switch ISPs by going into CMD and doing release/renew but thats highly annoying and cant be done by some of the older, less computer savy people here.

+27 for whoever can help me out :goodjob:

cpearson
02-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Just create a .txt document, copy and paste this into it:

@ECHO OFF
color a
ipconfig -release
ECHO The IP address has been released.
ipconfig -flushdns
ECHO The DNS has been flused. Waiting to renew...
ipconfig -renew
ECHO The IP address has been renewed.
ipconfig -registerdns
ECHO The DNS has been registered.
pause

Save as RenewIP.bat on the root of your primary drive (C:\ probably,) and send a shortcut to the desktop... that way, all those older, less computer savvy folks can do it! If you want the dos window to close automatically, remove the "pause" line. Hope that helps bro.

oneSLOWex
02-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Just create a .txt document, copy and paste this into it:

@ECHO OFF
color a
ipconfig -release
ECHO The IP address has been released.
ipconfig -flushdns
ECHO The DNS has been flused. Waiting to renew...
ipconfig -renew
ECHO The IP address has been renewed.
ipconfig -registerdns
ECHO The DNS has been registered.
pause

Save as RenewIP.bat on the root of your primary drive (C:\ probably,) and send a shortcut to the desktop... that way, all those older, less computer savvy folks can do it! If you want the dos window to close automatically, remove the "pause" line. Hope that helps bro.

AWESOME! :goodjob::goodjob: thanks man....I will give this a shot soon as I go in tomorrow.

cpearson
02-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Not a problem; works on my home network just fine, lol. I've been having some MAJOR issues with Comcast lately...prolly cuz I'm transferring at least 300 GB of bandwith per month, lol...oh well...

oneSLOWex
02-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Not a problem; works on my home network just fine, lol. I've been having some MAJOR issues with Comcast lately...prolly cuz I'm transferring at least 300 GB of bandwith per month, lol...oh well...

:eek: download movies much?

cpearson
02-02-2010, 08:56 PM
...who me...???? NAH!... Only got 4 TB worth... :D

oneSLOWex
02-02-2010, 08:58 PM
...who me...???? NAH!... Only got 4 TB worth... :D

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

cpearson
02-02-2010, 09:09 PM
:ninja:

cpearson
02-03-2010, 10:53 AM
How did it work out for ya, bud?

oneSLOWex
02-03-2010, 11:00 AM
LOL leaving for work soon. Working 1 - 10 today....FML

oneSLOWex
02-03-2010, 12:04 PM
AHHHHH life saver you are sir! THANKS AGAIN!

cpearson
02-05-2010, 06:37 PM
AHHHHH life saver you are sir! THANKS AGAIN!

No problemo, sir! I'm glad it worked out for you! :goodjob: