PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods LSVTEC turbo engines...making over 300whp minus the sleeves?

teh_mugen18
02-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Everyone says that the sleeves on Honda bottom ends are only good until about 300hp. The only question that i have is, it seems like the vtec turbo engines make a whole lot more power up into the 300+whp range with the same amount of boost that non-vtec engines run on and only seem to make in the 220 - 230whp range...

Now my question about the sleeves is, is it safe for these vtec/turbo engines to be running in the +300whp range with no sleeving due to the way vtec reacts to the same amount of boost? or is it something else?? Because it just cant be "safe" to run like this, right?

Its just something i've been wondering about... :thinking:

DarKStaR
02-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Ive made 400+ on stock sleeves, and vtecace23 made 520whp on stock sleeves. JJmastertech made around 450hp on his d series on stockers also ;)

Da_unknown
02-02-2010, 10:05 AM
its when ur trying to make 500+hp on stock sleeves ur asking for trouble... 300 is not really that bad on stock sleeves..

trini_gsr
02-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Everyone says that the sleeves on Honda bottom ends are only good until about 300hp. The only question that i have is, it seems like the vtec turbo engines make a whole lot more power up into the 300+whp range with the same amount of boost that non-vtec engines run on and only seem to make in the 220 - 230whp range...

Now my question about the sleeves is, is it safe for these vtec/turbo engines to be running in the +300whp range with no sleeving due to the way vtec reacts to the same amount of boost? or is it something else?? Because it just cant be "safe" to run like this, right?

Its just something i've been wondering about... :thinking:

vtec motors make more horsepower (with the same size turbo/boost) mainly because the compression is higher (10:1 as opposed to 9:1) and the heads flow better. basically the vtec motor is more efficient. you'll notice the the torque will be about the same though because the displacement is pretty much the same. you have the same scenario when you look at both motors NA too.

remember it's not about the amount of boost, it's how much power you're making. both motors can handle 300whp, you just have to run more boost to get the non-vtec one there. but what i've seen though is with both motors at 300whp, the non-vtec motors make more torque, as a result of that extra boost it has to run.

i've seen ppl run 350-400whp and higher with no issues, and i've also seen folks crack sleeves at 350-400whp too. 300whp seems to be that magic number where you can be confident it'll run all day and not have to worry about it. i'm making about that much on my db8 with pistons/rods and stock sleeves and i've been driving it every day for almost 4 yrs.

just my :2cents: - someone more knowledgeable could prolly break it down more

KevinT707
02-02-2010, 11:06 AM
I see some good replies in this thread. I remember asking SPOOLIN the same question once and he gave me the same answer as in this thread; don't go too much higher than 4xx WHP on stock sleeves.

big mac
02-02-2010, 11:06 AM
I'm making 350 lsv stock sleeves

DarKStaR
02-02-2010, 11:12 AM
The higher you go the more of a chance you have of cracking a sleeve. If its a daily driver i would keep it around 300whp. Spoolin i believe was making around the 550whp area in his first setup. Theres no telling how long a setup is going to last.

Da_unknown
02-02-2010, 11:18 AM
The higher you go the more of a chance you have of cracking a sleeve. If its a daily driver i would keep it around 300whp. Spoolin i believe was making around the 550whp area in his first setup. Theres no telling how long a setup is going to last.
that is the truth....:cheers: plus it also depends on ur driving habits as well...

BABY J
02-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Just sleeve it and get it over with is the way I roll. Then you have a versatile block ready for anything you can throw at it in the future.

KDM>JDM
02-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Ive made 400+ on stock sleeves, and vtecace23 made 520whp on stock sleeves. JJmastertech made around 450hp on his d series on stockers also ;)

i vouch for that

Gorilla Eg!
02-02-2010, 09:45 PM
<---- ls/v(b16), gt30r, 15lbs =390-ish whp stock sleeves

teh_mugen18
02-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Just sleeve it and get it over with is the way I roll. Then you have a versatile block ready for anything you can throw at it in the future.

going overkill on a build never hurt anybody :goodjob:

BABY J
02-03-2010, 12:46 AM
^^ Agreed. I don't see it as overkill - I see it as reliability - as well as increasing the resell/part-out value in the future. Also makes for a versatile setup that is ready to be turned up as your power desires grow. Do it once - do it right.

Vuongy_Dong
02-08-2010, 07:53 PM
i made 411hp on stock sleeves beating it every day back in 2005.......

teh_mugen18
02-09-2010, 06:34 PM
i made 411hp on stock sleeves beating it every day back in 2005.......

How long did it last?

Vuongy_Dong
02-10-2010, 05:56 PM
How long did it last?

it lasted all the way till i sold it. the person that bought it boosted it. dont know what happened after that.

jody754
02-19-2010, 03:30 PM
i made 400 on stock sleeves and it lasted about 1k miles blew #1 out and josh green made 460 on stock sleeves and blew number 2 out plus bent some valves and scarred the head so needles to say its worth the 1k you'll spend for a sleeved block from golden eagle we both just purchased one so spend the money and not worry about the headache

BABY J
02-19-2010, 06:47 PM
i made 400 on stock sleeves and it lasted about 1k miles blew #1 out and josh green made 460 on stock sleeves and blew number 2 out plus bent some valves and scarred the head so needles to say its worth the 1k you'll spend for a sleeved block from golden eagle we both just purchased one so spend the money and not worry about the headache

This.

Anything I build will have sleeves if I intend to beat on it - it's the diff between a seasoned tuner and a noob if you ask me.

teh_mugen18
02-19-2010, 06:59 PM

Plus probably not to mention the fact that once i get to the 300whp level, and daily drive it for a while, im sure i'll get somewhat bored with it and want to turn up the boost some more... LOL then be mad at myself for not building the motor to handle more without blowing it. Then either be stuck there at 300whp, or turn it up/re-tune, and blow it much faster. :doh:

SPOOLIN
02-19-2010, 09:26 PM
see my response on your other thread. Just get the sleeves, Though you can get by with it, MOST of the time the stock sleeves WILL FAIL and leave you calling a tow truck. I made gobs of power daily on stockers with a block guard and after 2 years i had a hairline crack in the sleeve when i switched to an aftermarket sleeve setup. My golden eagle sleeves are 3+ years old right now.