PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if I have LSD

brokecivic
10-27-2005, 06:00 PM
I have a 95 240sx SE im not sure how to check any suggestions

bigasian
10-27-2005, 06:03 PM
lift the back of the car and turn one tire and see if the other one is moving the same direction

TranceDJ06
10-27-2005, 06:06 PM
Lol...Thats gotta be a Great job, dont ya think?

brokecivic
10-27-2005, 06:16 PM
lol any easier way i dont have much info on the car besides a list of a couple problems which i have fixed or having fixed

single_cam_ham
10-27-2005, 06:21 PM
drop the clutch and see if you leave 2 black marks...

brokecivic
10-27-2005, 06:38 PM
ok so if i leave 2 black marks i have lsd i thought both wheels turned anyways but if i dont will i only see one and if so which side should i expect it on

EmotorsportsE
10-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Well dumping the clutch will generally result in the 2 spinning, and one stopping before the other with an open diff, dump the clutch, and power brake it and a open diff 1 wheel generally lose the power.

E

sebastianHoff
10-27-2005, 10:06 PM
fidn an open parking lot and try to do a doughnut. if you just drive in a big circle its an open diff.

HiPSI
10-28-2005, 08:09 AM
or you could do what the first person suggested and not get a ticket trying to figure it out :rolleyes:

Danny
10-28-2005, 01:50 PM
Im with Erin^^ Theres not really another sure way to do it. Besides seat of the pants, and jack the car up, nothing eles is acurate.

Just jack the car up and spin the wheel. As Eric said also, 2 black marks dont mean crap.

HalfBaked
10-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Who did you buy it from?

Just see if it is a reliable source to score some LSD from.

That or pop it and see what happens...

Danny
10-28-2005, 02:05 PM
^^^^ :thinking: :lmfao:

brokecivic
10-28-2005, 08:21 PM
well i popped the clutch and it left 2 black marks but i did a small donut and it left one line so i dont think it has it

HiPSI
10-28-2005, 08:44 PM
well i popped the clutch and it left 2 black marks but i did a small donut and it left one line so i dont think it has it

honestly man... how long does it take to jack up the rear tires and spin them with your hand? the car may have an LSD and crappy old fluid in it, or it could just plain be worn out.

BTLFED
10-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Who did you buy it from?

Just see if it is a reliable source to score some LSD from.

That or pop it and see what happens...

Exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't buy LSD from anyone I didn't know. You could be popping rat poison for all you know. You could be seeing death instead of trails.

honestly man... how long does it take to jack up the rear tires and spin them with your hand? the car may have an LSD and crappy old fluid in it, or it could just plain be worn out.

j00 aReN't GaNgStA iF j00 d0 iT lIkE dAt, y0! :rolleyes:

More often than not from what i have seen even if it has an LSD the viscous fluid has been crapped out, depending on the mileage of the vehicle and how anal the past owner was about the vehicle. A lot of people wouldn't even think that they need to even mess with the rear end until it breaks.

Also, and I am not sure on this so feel free to correct me, but doesn't the LSD rear ends have markings on the cover to identify it? I can't even seem to think straight right now.

brokecivic
10-29-2005, 12:12 AM
yea its damn near cold here and it gets dark before i get off work but i think i will get my whole rearend looked at to see if everything is in proper order thanks for everyones help

HiPSI
10-29-2005, 10:24 AM
More often than not from what i have seen even if it has an LSD the viscous fluid has been crapped out, depending on the mileage of the vehicle and how anal the past owner was about the vehicle. A lot of people wouldn't even think that they need to even mess with the rear end until it breaks.

Also, and I am not sure on this so feel free to correct me, but doesn't the LSD rear ends have markings on the cover to identify it? I can't even seem to think straight right now.

you are correct sir. my viscous works pretty well, but in a straight line sometimes it'll burn one tire taking off. keeping the fluid clean helps a lot.

and correct again, there should be an orange sticker on the rear end somewhere around the housing that denotes it's an LSD. unfortunately, those are usually covered in so much crap it's hard to find.

BTLFED
10-29-2005, 10:42 AM
you are correct sir. my viscous works pretty well, but in a straight line sometimes it'll burn one tire taking off. keeping the fluid clean helps a lot.

and correct again, there should be an orange sticker on the rear end somewhere around the housing that denotes it's an LSD. unfortunately, those are usually covered in so much crap it's hard to find.

That is what I thought, but I wasn't sure so I didn't want to sound like my word was the gosipel. ;)

Besides, I own a Honduh and a Datsun.....I don't know anything about Nissans.

PSINXS
10-29-2005, 11:26 AM
too bad a datsun is a nissan

HalfBaked
10-29-2005, 11:26 AM

too bad you suck at sarcasm.

BTLFED
10-29-2005, 11:37 AM

And too bad that you suck at the internet. Don't make me give you a history lesson. Idiot. :slap:

LicKaPuSS
10-30-2005, 09:53 AM
Is it not true that lsd part of the abs package on the s14. I have not seen a factory installed lsd diff on a car without abs yet. So with this in mind if the car was in stock form when you got, I would go check and see if you have abs. This should tell you if its worth jacking the car up and spinning the wheels by hand. Yes abs prob a lsd car!! No abs prob no lsd!!

PSINXS
10-30-2005, 10:17 AM
u cant give m a history lesson on the whole datsun/nissan thing. i did a report on it in high school.

BTLFED
10-30-2005, 10:40 AM
u cant give m a history lesson on the whole datsun/nissan thing. i did a report on it in high school.

Well that's interesting.