PDA

View Full Version : Under Constuction! RHD

Austin?
01-30-2010, 03:21 PM
RHD.

Here is a few picture of what i'm doing and already done.

I know that there's some of you might not like the way i did this conversion but...........

Clean and simple...IT NOT YOUR CAR!!:taun::boobies:

Measure twice and cut once will do the job.
some you dont know anything about.

I got this dc4 shell for little to nothing and got front clip for $3:bump::bump:.

Unless you first handed work on something like this, i dont think that your negative comment matter. have a good day!

Austin?
01-30-2010, 03:26 PM
just resize it

Austin?
01-30-2010, 03:28 PM
more

oneSLOWex
01-30-2010, 03:31 PM
That looks extremely safe....GJ!

Austin?
01-30-2010, 03:33 PM
dash, carpet, front and rear seat, pedal, are in,,

now for the outside!!!

dents, dents, dents, dings, and more dings everywhere.

Austin?
01-30-2010, 03:34 PM
That looks extremely safe....GJ!

duck tape and sticker help also

oneSLOWex
01-30-2010, 03:36 PM
duck tape and sticker help also

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

b@d @pple
im not a huge fan of cutting and welding conversions,but it looks like a decent job..

oneSLOWex
im not a huge fan of cutting and welding conversions,but it looks like a decent job..

The car has pretty much been cut in half....i dunno bout all that

b@d @pple
01-30-2010, 03:37 PM
The car has pretty much been cut in half....i dunno bout all that

i agree but i have seen some hacked up firewall jobs that people are proud of..

oneSLOWex
01-30-2010, 03:38 PM

LOL me too. Ive seen some I would swear were put back together with bondo....or chewing gum

b@d @pple
01-30-2010, 03:39 PM

i mean cars are welded together as is..i dont see the problem if its done correctly..i wouldnt buy it

Austin?
01-30-2010, 03:42 PM
i mean cars are welded together as is..i dont see the problem if its done correctly..i wouldnt buy it

all cars all put together by weld and so is this one..

Austin?
01-30-2010, 03:44 PM
to a person that dont know what they are doing.. yeah it look kinda scary,.. but i welded this car together and i can trust my life to my welding ability.

oneSLOWex

Cars are welded yes.....but they are welded where they are welded for a reason. They are never welded where you did yours. I give you props for all that work but I hope you never get into an accident.

b@d @pple

i know ..thats why i said that..

b@d @pple
01-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Cars are welded yes.....but they are welded where they are welded for a reason. They are never welded where you did yours. I give you props for all that work but I hope you never get into an accident.

agreed..better than duct tape though

Austin?
01-30-2010, 03:45 PM

to a person that dont know what they are doing.. yeah it look kinda scary,.. but i welded this car together and i can trust my life to my welding ability.

Black4DrEK
01-30-2010, 04:22 PM
GL with it..

Keep it up

PROŽ
01-30-2010, 04:45 PM

x2

Austin?
01-30-2010, 04:47 PM
x3

Krappy
01-30-2010, 04:49 PM
IMO a firewall swap is a whole lot safer than putting two halves together... good luck when you get in a wreck

Austin?
01-30-2010, 04:51 PM
my ducktape will hold..i paid $3.99 plus tax for it..
that shit better hold

Austin?
01-30-2010, 04:51 PM
IMO a firewall swap is a whole lot safer than putting two halves together... good luck when you get in a wreck

you seen the picture # 1?

MongolPup
01-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Hey I added a poll for you!

Austin?
01-30-2010, 05:10 PM
thanks, i think

Nittanys1
01-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Hey I added a poll for you!

you forgot the "i have no f*cking clue" option...

Brian*
01-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Looks good man

slocussvt
01-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Looks good, wish i had the money to do that to my focus.

One thing i'd like to say, being that i work at a body shop, the way you put the front clip in is unsafe according to i-car standards. You should have overlayed the metal and spliced it together. Not trying to sound like a douche. You did good work, but it's technically unsafe now.

Drummerboy
01-30-2010, 11:20 PM
can you explain this $3 front clip thing? that sounds like one of those once in a life time/ right place right time things I'm always looking for.

browningboy7
01-31-2010, 12:39 AM
can you explain this $3 front clip thing? that sounds like one of those once in a life time/ right place right time things I'm always looking for.

I'm always about 2 minutes late.

LokiSays
01-31-2010, 12:46 AM
more

lol i just noticed the duct tape on the driver side floor. Looks decent.

dallasb84
01-31-2010, 02:35 AM
you are supposed to scab the pillar...... not butt them....

there is a few layers of metal in the pillar and you are supposed to splice the layers together..... thats kinda just a nit pick thing and not too important....

but all in all it looks great...

godd job

and that is not enough bondo for the dents..... good luck

Genji-Sama
01-31-2010, 02:35 AM
Hmmm....you say you trust your welding, so that's what matters though i don't see a problem unless you smash the back of someone else or get nailed on the new drivers side, in which case your boned anyway, so I'd buy it. :goodjob:

browningboy7
01-31-2010, 02:40 AM
People don't ever talk about guys who are bodydropping trucks...Or sectioning rat rods. Those vehicles weren't meant to be cut and welded those ways either but people have been doing it for 30482398 years now.

dallasb84
01-31-2010, 03:24 AM
People don't ever talk about guys who are bodydropping trucks...Or sectioning rat rods. Those vehicles weren't meant to be cut and welded those ways either but people have been doing it for 30482398 years now.

they also dont drive their bodydropped trucks 90+ mph or drag race a sectiond ratrod,,....

i mean hes either going to wreck it, sell it, or never finish it....

whats the big deal

browningboy7
01-31-2010, 03:31 AM
they also dont drive their bodydropped trucks 90+ mph or drag race a sectiond ratrod,,....

i mean hes either going to wreck it, sell it, or never finish it....

whats the big deal

Who knows. lol

Got Milk?
01-31-2010, 07:55 AM
What a man wouldn't do just to be sitting on the wrong side of a car.

green91
01-31-2010, 08:51 AM
RHD Sucks man, a lot of effort to have a vehicle thats miserable/unsafe to drive in the US.

oneSLOWex
01-31-2010, 12:15 PM

I think you missed my point. Cars are welded and what have you in certain places in order to absorb the force in an accident in a certain way to keep you safe. You have created a weak point in your cars body. Get into a decent wreck and see if that does not break in half and hurt/kill you.

oneSLOWex
01-31-2010, 12:20 PM
Who knows. lol

LOL you ever been in a truck or anything like that? Hes right, those things dont/cant go that fast.

Elbow
01-31-2010, 12:35 PM
Wow...this isn't safe at all. If it's a show car cool, if you're really going to drive this often. May god help you.

bdydrpdmazda
01-31-2010, 12:48 PM
you have destroyed the structural integrity of that car. Cars are designed the way they are designed for a reason. Those random holes and things on the car are all there for a reason. Beneath that floor pan that you cut in half used to be the backbone of that car, now it is the backbone of two different cars cut in half and it looks like a death trap to me.

Elbow
01-31-2010, 12:50 PM
you have destroyed the structural integrity of that car. Cars are designed the way they are designed for a reason. Those random holes and things on the car are all there for a reason. Beneath that floor pan that you cut in half used to be the backbone of that car, now it is the backbone of two different cars cut in half and it looks like a death trap to me.

Looks? IT IS a death trap.

OP did you ever take any the engineering classes or anything? I mean this car probably won't even handle the same ever again not to mention be extremely weak not just in the case of a wreck either.

Simply put, you REALLY REALLY fucked up. :cheers:

bdydrpdmazda
01-31-2010, 12:55 PM
It is safe enough to be taken to a show on a trailer but thats about it...

bdydrpdmazda
01-31-2010, 12:57 PM
oh and LOL @ the people that voted yes...

.:Stirfry:.
01-31-2010, 12:58 PM
its one of those. "hell it works" type.
lol
but um keep up the good work.

Elbow
01-31-2010, 12:58 PM
oh and LOL @ the people that voted yes...

I know right? :lmfao::lmfao:

Elbow
01-31-2010, 12:59 PM
its one of those. "hell it works" type.
lol
but um keep up the good work.

Does it work? :???:

alpine_aw11
01-31-2010, 01:34 PM
I think RHD conversions are retarded but at least you did a good job with it. Gotta have balls to chop a car in half and weld it back together, I'll give you the props on that.

bdydrpdmazda
01-31-2010, 01:46 PM
I think RHD conversions are retarded but at least you did a good job with it. Gotta have balls to chop a car in half and weld it back together, I'll give you the props on that.
you gotta have balls to drive it afterward thats for sure...

Elbow
01-31-2010, 01:47 PM

...and that's meant in the most negative way possible lol.

alpine_aw11
01-31-2010, 02:04 PM

Oh yea, I'm not gonna say it's safe. It's an inherently unsafe thing to do. But it looks like he did about as good a job as you can do. Then again if I were to see it in person I might not think the same.

wanggsticky
01-31-2010, 02:37 PM

i think $3:bump::bump: means 300$ lol:lmfao:

boosted b
01-31-2010, 02:49 PM
looks damn good

allmotorEJ8
01-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Wow... NO!!!!

Me86Rob
01-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Natural selection at its finest

green91
01-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Good thing is with any accident it will be off the road.. the cutting of the unibody alone "totaled" this car.

1sickdc2
01-31-2010, 04:16 PM
props to you! great job!!

Elbow
01-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Good thing is with any accident it will be off the road.. the cutting of the unibody alone "totaled" this car.

I can't imagine what a minor accident in this car would act like.

Note to OP...if you sell this car, I highly recommend documenting this build so buyer can see how it was done...

JuStCrUzIn
01-31-2010, 07:01 PM
ive been around a few rhd conversions, i didnt read everyones post so someone might have already told you. you need to do it by cutting the firewall out and replacing it with the rhd firewall. im pretty sure this car is going to be a rattle trap and i would hate to get t-boned while driving it. if it not going to be a daily than thats ok i guess the welds look good but personally i would not drive it. just my:2cents:

Elbow
01-31-2010, 07:06 PM
ive been around a few rhd conversions, i didnt read everyones post so someone might have already told you. you need to do it by cutting the firewall out and replacing it with the rhd firewall. im pretty sure this car is going to be a rattle trap and i would hate to get t-boned while driving it. if it not going to be a daily than thats ok i guess the welds look good but personally i would not drive it. just my:2cents:

A side impact isn't all that's dangerous, any impact is, especially anything from the front. I mean it's common sense, you don't cut in half a solid and re-weld it expecting strength, I don't care if your welds are the best ever, it will NOT work.

Where is the OP?

allmotorEJ8
01-31-2010, 08:30 PM
Am I missing something, but you can't really see the welds in the pics to justify them being good. Even if they are good welds, still NO.

VWGirl
01-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Previous posters have taken the words right out of my mouth... You'd have to have some balls to drive that on the highway... or anywhere aside from your driveway... please notify us all of when/where you are planning on driving it so that we can steer clear. You have completely compromised the structural integrity of that car, If it is going to be a show car that you drive on and off a trailer then props to you for putting way too much effort in to something that was completely unnecessary... you could have imported a safe RHD car for probably less than you have put in to this death trap. There are ways that you could have done this that would have been remotely safe, but you chose to go a route that could cost you your life should you or someone else make one wrong turn. I also hope for handling sake that you did measure everything 100% accurately otherwise the car is totally worthless.

nreggie454
01-31-2010, 09:22 PM
I also hope for handling sake that you did measure everything 100% accurately otherwise the car is totally worthless.

It definitely won't handle as well as before, no matter how good he measured or welded. The car lost a lot of rigidity and will handle worse, not to mention all the safety concerns everybody else said earlier.

ranj
01-31-2010, 09:34 PM
I don't see a problem with this at all, as long as you had proper welds i don't see why it would fall apart. Did you guys know that the actual weld is stronger than the metal that was welded. If the welds were done properly, then you have nothing to worry about.

its like saying those guys who build the locosts shouldn't race those cars because they welded their own frame, that's ridiculous.

if you feel you did a proper job welding it, then you have nothing to worry about, and i see that you did this method because the car looks to have been wrecked in the front, i think you did a good job.

ranj
01-31-2010, 09:38 PM

the reason they are welded where they are, i'm willing to bet, is for that balance between manufacturing costs as well as strength.

i don't see why what he has done is so bad.

Papa_Smurf
01-31-2010, 11:30 PM
What a man wouldn't do just to be sitting on the wrong side of a car.

x2.

drastically compromise the structural integrity of a car to drive on the right side :rolleyes:

DC2NR
01-31-2010, 11:43 PM
Lol I don't even care about if he got in accident or blah blah blah. I'm just LMFAO imagining this thing going down the road and breaking in half in the middle of the road. This definately gives a new meaning to "RICE" in my book.

hybrid90accord
02-01-2010, 12:28 AM
isnt everyone working for the DOT all of a sudden in 2010, lol

Elbow
02-01-2010, 07:58 AM
I don't see a problem with this at all, as long as you had proper welds i don't see why it would fall apart. Did you guys know that the actual weld is stronger than the metal that was welded. If the welds were done properly, then you have nothing to worry about.

its like saying those guys who build the locosts shouldn't race those cars because they welded their own frame, that's ridiculous.

if you feel you did a proper job welding it, then you have nothing to worry about, and i see that you did this method because the car looks to have been wrecked in the front, i think you did a good job.

You must be a COMPLETE idiot.

So you think that cutting a solid piece in half, then re-welding it is safe? I guess cutting wires in half then re-connecting them is fine too, and cutting a roll bar in half and re-welding, etc.

When you split a continuous piece of anything in half and re-connect it it creates a weak point, in this case, THE HALF OF THE CAR, a VERY weak point. Have you ever made ANYTHING?

Locost cars are NOT welded halfway through the chassis, they're also tube framed cars. Have you built one? Ever built a roll cage? Ever even read a FIA or SCCA rulebook?

I can't believe you just posted such a stupid comment. The welds are stronger then the metal, WHO CARES HOW STRONG THE WELDS ARE, when you get the force from a 10mph fender bender hitting them lets see what split metal does. :goodjob:

ranj
02-01-2010, 09:14 AM
You must be a COMPLETE idiot.

So you think that cutting a solid piece in half, then re-welding it is safe? I guess cutting wires in half then re-connecting them is fine too, and cutting a roll bar in half and re-welding, etc.

When you split a continuous piece of anything in half and re-connect it it creates a weak point, in this case, THE HALF OF THE CAR, a VERY weak point. Have you ever made ANYTHING?

Locost cars are NOT welded halfway through the chassis, they're also tube framed cars. Have you built one? Ever built a roll cage? Ever even read a FIA or SCCA rulebook?

I can't believe you just posted such a stupid comment. The welds are stronger then the metal, WHO CARES HOW STRONG THE WELDS ARE, when you get the force from a 10mph fender bender hitting them lets see what split metal does. :goodjob:

The welds are stronger than the metal, and yes if you cut a roll bar and reweld it properly, it will be fine.

I have not read an FIA or SCCA rule book, but who need that in order to see what is safe or not.

This here is a mater of material science and structural engineering, not FIA or SCCA rule book. If you've taken a course in either subject, you would know that if the welds were properly made, then there is no problem here.

Before you start calling people idiots, get your facts straight.

Elbow
02-01-2010, 02:14 PM
The welds are stronger than the metal, and yes if you cut a roll bar and reweld it properly, it will be fine.

I have not read an FIA or SCCA rule book, but who need that in order to see what is safe or not.

This here is a mater of material science and structural engineering, not FIA or SCCA rule book. If you've taken a course in either subject, you would know that if the welds were properly made, then there is no problem here.

Before you start calling people idiots, get your facts straight.

You are kidding right? You truly believe cutting something in half and rewelding it is stronger then if it were one continuous piece? What classes did you take? I've taken numerous engineering classes and have definitely been around stuff like this for a LONG time, I can assure you it's VERY unsafe.

FIA and SCCA make rules per safety, FIA makes rules for basically the automotive WORLD not just racing. I was just asking because you mentioned people racing a Locost and thinking they weld in the middle of the chassis. :screwy:

Note to self: Never let this Gayiata owner work on anything I see.

Elbow
02-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Hard enough? Try 10mph lol.

ranj
02-01-2010, 05:07 PM
You are kidding right? You truly believe cutting something in half and rewelding it is stronger then if it were one continuous piece? What classes did you take? I've taken numerous engineering classes and have definitely been around stuff like this for a LONG time, I can assure you it's VERY unsafe.

FIA and SCCA make rules per safety, FIA makes rules for basically the automotive WORLD not just racing. I was just asking because you mentioned people racing a Locost and thinking they weld in the middle of the chassis. :screwy:

Note to self: Never let this Gayiata owner work on anything I see.

You're just another IA E-thug who thinks they know everything about cars.

jesus you're such an idiot, and you probably went to wyotech to you moron. :lmfao:

Elbow
02-01-2010, 05:12 PM

jesus you're such an idiot, and you probably went to wyotech to you moron. :lmfao:

No, I'm not an e-thug, if I was an e-thug I'd be harassing you and saying stupid threats.

I do know a lot about cars, I've been racing since I was five in karts and since then that has forced me to do a lot of welding, cage making, etc. I've worked for two race shops and have I'd say pretty good knowledge about this type of engineering, I also am majoring in mechanical engineering. I don't even know what Wyotech is.

You're the one sitting here saying weld is stronger then metal and that this is perfectly safe. You haven't truly explained why it's safe, or why no car companies do this, you say it's to save cost...really? :???: So no, I'm not a moron.

95droppedhatch
02-01-2010, 05:26 PM
No, I'm not an e-thug, if I was an e-thug I'd be harassing you and saying stupid threats.

I do know a lot about cars, I've been racing since I was five in karts and since then that has forced me to do a lot of welding, cage making, etc. I've worked for two race shops and have I'd say pretty good knowledge about this type of engineering, I also am majoring in mechanical engineering. I don't even know what Wyotech is.

You're the one sitting here saying weld is stronger then metal and that this is perfectly safe. You haven't truly explained why it's safe, or why no car companies do this, you say it's to save cost...really? :???: So no, I'm not a moron.

i agree with you completly you can not cut something in half and weld it back together and structly be just as strong you have made weak point cause if anything is gonna give in that piece of metal it will be at the point of thhe weld every time and if he went to wyotech for body work he would have been taught this cause i was taught that at UTI but you just cant tell some people things

ranj
02-01-2010, 05:46 PM
ehhh its like trying to teach a fish to walk.

you're so hard headed and think you're soo smart.

welds are stronger than the metal itself, its gonna take just as much force as before to break this car in half, again if the welds are done properly. if you have welded before like this and what you made failed, its because you didn't do a good job welding it.

and just so you know i'm majoring in mechanical engineering as well :) .

GAsHONDABOI
02-01-2010, 07:42 PM

X2:2up: dumb fuka

Elbow
02-01-2010, 07:48 PM

welds are stronger than the metal itself, its gonna take just as much force as before to break this car in half, again if the welds are done properly. if you have welded before like this and what you made failed, its because you didn't do a good job welding it.

You sure do talk a lot of crap to someone you don't know, I've stated engineering facts, if you're majoring in mechanical engineering I feel horrible for whatever school you go to and I am horrified of what job you may have when you graduate.

Tell my how the weld is stronger then the metal. I've never done this before and have never had a weld fail, I've never done this because it's common sense you just DON'T do it. No shop would even consider doing this.

Think of it this way, I break a plate in half, I glue it together down the middle, is the plate still strong? No.

I know I don't know everything about cars, but I do know a lot about chassis setup which in return means welding and structures. I know NOBODY in there right mind would cut a roll bar in half and weld it back like you mentioned, I also know nobody with real engineering knowledge actually just common sense would think this setup is safe.

You're the only one being an e-thug here.

Elbow
02-01-2010, 07:48 PM
X2:2up: dumb fuka

English? :???:

JuStCrUzIn
02-01-2010, 08:47 PM
You sure do talk a lot of crap to someone you don't know, I've stated engineering facts, if you're majoring in mechanical engineering I feel horrible for whatever school you go to and I am horrified of what job you may have when you graduate.

Tell my how the weld is stronger then the metal. I've never done this before and have never had a weld fail, I've never done this because it's common sense you just DON'T do it. No shop would even consider doing this.

Think of it this way, I break a plate in half, I glue it together down the middle, is the plate still strong? No.

I know I don't know everything about cars, but I do know a lot about chassis setup which in return means welding and structures. I know NOBODY in there right mind would cut a roll bar in half and weld it back like you mentioned, I also know nobody with real engineering knowledge actually just common sense would think this setup is safe.

I agree with you, and this guy is a idiot.. I retract my t-bone comment and make it a crash period. I imagined him hitting a pot hole on 285 and the car breaking in half. lol.

RUFFIAN
02-01-2010, 08:51 PM
looks good. people are bagging on the welding but really, how safe are you in any compact car in a severe crash? I say worry about getting right with your favorite God and hope for the best.

Elbow
02-01-2010, 09:20 PM
looks good. people are bagging on the welding but really, how safe are you in any compact car in a severe crash? I say worry about getting right with your favorite God and hope for the best.

I never mentioned the actual welds or skills he has welding, I'm complaining about WHERE he welded the car together at. There's a reason Honda didn't weld it there in the first place. This won't take a severe crash to seriously injure or kill those inside.

I am seriously about to cut a parts car in half, re-weld it together, and do a 30mph crash test into a wall...real talk..I will prove my statements, hell if any of you want to weld it to be sure the welds are good, be my guest.

ranj
02-01-2010, 09:38 PM

First of all, i go to tech, so don't give me crap about my schooling.

as for the plate example you gave, there are all different types of bonds, different glues, some glue doesn't work on some material.

anyhow, in this case if the weld was done properly there's no problem. by properly i mean that if the weld was controlled and cooled at a certain rate (which a good welder can do, and i'm not saying this guy is a good welder b/c i don't know him) the grain boundary of the new metal (the welds) would be the same as the original grain boundary of the car metal. In this case it would have the same structural strength as before. The smaller the grain boundary, the more brittle, the larger the the grain boundaries the softer the material is. (I know that introducing new material into different metals can affect the softness and brittleness of it as well, but i don't think that's the case here) a good welder will know what kind of cooling rate certain metals need in order for the weld to not be too soft or too brittle. They will also know what kind of material they are working with.

I guarantee you that if this is done properly (said it now for the millionth time) that it will be just fine.

Now i just saw that this guy is using a mig welder, a tig would be ideal for the best control over the weld so i'll give you that one.
My whole point though is that this can be done, and it can be just as safe as before if its done properly, i'm not trying to sound like an ass, if i did my b.

what year are you in ME?

uproot
02-01-2010, 10:03 PM
It might be a little late to mention, but you know your steering wheel is on the wrong side now?

5thgcelica
02-01-2010, 10:06 PM
there is no proper way to do this. this is beyond unsafe. and is considered an illegal repair. (obviously not done by a shop so he's the one reliable)

this car will explode when hit hard enough. you never ever ever ever butt weld something like that together. there are several layers of structure there. and i will guarantee all 3 of those layers did not get penetrated properly. if i even thought about doing something like this, i would at least stagger my cuts and use some backing plates to splice this in. and not to mention im sure these welds have been ground down and the areas around the welds have been ground down. thus creating and even weaker point.

hopefully when this car falls apart it wont be around me.

ranj
02-01-2010, 10:10 PM
It might be a little late to mention, but you know your steering wheel is on the wrong side now?

lol

bdydrpdmazda
02-02-2010, 06:03 AM

REPS for being sooo smart...:screwy:

5speed
02-02-2010, 03:56 PM
First of all, i go to tech, so don't give me crap about my schooling.

GA Tech? If so, you have heard the BIG bills due to huge fuck ups Tech students have caused for Atlanta in the past? GA Tech lololol

ranj
02-02-2010, 09:29 PM
GA Tech? If so, you have heard the BIG bills due to huge fuck ups Tech students have caused for Atlanta in the past? GA Tech lololol

Please list this huge bill that they have aquired.

Keep laughing, but tell me why do all of these major companies in the US start GA tech students out with such huge salaries, and put them in manager positions. I'm sure you're soo much smarter than all of these companies, you should tell them to stop hiring these tech students who cause huge fuck ups.

and where do you go to school, might i ask?

5speed
02-02-2010, 09:46 PM
LOL, I will get info on that bill later. I was told the story by GA Tech Alumni.

As for the companies it doesnt really matter. Look at the shit hole economy we are in due to Harvard, Yale, Stanford , etc. graduates.

I wasn't saying that your car is shit or anything, bc I honestly wouldn't know until it is proven when your done and if somebody wrecks it. Just a UGA guy laughing it up at Tech. No hard feelings.

Elbow
02-02-2010, 09:54 PM
UF > UGA

5speed
02-02-2010, 09:56 PM
UF > UGA
LOL If it is about football I couldn't care less.

Elbow
02-02-2010, 10:04 PM
LOL If it is about football I couldn't care less.

I couldn't tell you a players name on either team, fuck that pansy sport.

dz N.U.T.Z.
02-02-2010, 10:14 PM

lol dont look like you know what you are doing....and if you think your right, your wrong sir..

hybrid90accord
02-03-2010, 08:59 AM
The funny thing about it is that there tons of front clip swap done all the time and ive seen 2 that have been hit and nothing happen. But since he is showing how he is doing it eveeryone wants to talk about safety. Like riding on slammed ebay coilovers bouncing over 285 with blown factory struts is any safers, Cut springs or home depot roll cages, non DOT race harnesses, r the tons of other unsafe stuff i see every first thursday of a month, LMFAO.

Sol-Badguy
02-03-2010, 09:01 AM
The funny thing about it is that there tons of front clip swap done all the time and ive seen 2 that have been hit and nothing happen. But since he is showing how he is doing it eveeryone wants to talk about safety. Like riding on slammed ebay coilovers bouncing over 285 with blown factory struts is any safers, Cut springs or home depot roll cages, non DOT race harnesses, r the tons of other unsafe stuff i see every first thursday of a month, LMFAO.

Damn. Good point.

Austin?
02-03-2010, 09:56 AM
simontibbett

yeah, hmmmmmm okay.

Austin?
02-03-2010, 09:59 AM
thanks for the unnecessary comment

Austin?
02-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Lol I don't even care about if he got in accident or blah blah blah. I'm just LMFAO imagining this thing going down the road and breaking in half in the middle of the road. This definately gives a new meaning to "RICE" in my book.

Austin?
02-03-2010, 10:01 AM

har har har

you made a joke.

Austin?
02-03-2010, 10:03 AM
LOL you ever been in a truck or anything like that? Hes right, those things dont/cant go that fast.

so im going to do 90-100mph everyday all day?:lmfao::lmfao:

Austin?
02-03-2010, 10:06 AM
RHD Sucks man, a lot of effort to have a vehicle thats miserable/unsafe to drive in the US.

i can get my mails with out getting out of the car and still be on the right side of the street.

but i'll will see you on the other side of checker!!!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Nw5HhDo3-m6x0M:http://fastfoodaddict.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/checkersnew.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://fastfoodaddict.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/checkersnew.jpg&imgrefurl=http://fastfoodaddict.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/checkersrallys/&usg=__7wGxuAnYYM0cFfiXjqsG384cMJk=&h=450&w=640&sz=63&hl=en&start=2&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=Nw5HhDo3-m6x0M:&tbnh=96&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcheckers%2Bdrive%2Bthru%26hl%3Den%26s afe%3Doff%26um%3D1)

Austin?
02-03-2010, 10:07 AM
you forgot the "i have no f*cking clue" option...

and you do because drive a honda accord?

Austin?
02-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Wow... NO!!!!

no?

no ketchup, lettuce, and tomato

and can i get fries with that?

Elbow
02-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Because you've made so many separate posts to quote people who posted versus just one post, you proved you have no clue what you're doing and your car will drive sideways and split in half if you hit a speed bump.

oneSLOWex
02-03-2010, 08:51 PM
the reason they are welded where they are, i'm willing to bet, is for that balance between manufacturing costs as well as strength.

i don't see why what he has done is so bad.

Have you ever seen any crash test videos or done any research on how vehicles are designed? They dont just make them whatever way they want and throw some welds out there where they think they might need to go. Cars have strong points and weak points in order to properly absorb an impact in a way that will keep the passenger as safe as possible. If any company cut corners when building a car they would never make it to the streets.

He has created a weak point in the cars structure where there was not one before. If this thing were to get into an accident it would more than likely break in half.

NAIZBST
02-03-2010, 09:04 PM
I like my RHD but haven't been through checkers yet

oneSLOWex
02-03-2010, 09:39 PM
so im going to do 90-100mph everyday all day?:lmfao::lmfao:

:thinking: Did I say anything like that? ....nope

Hey just for future reference so you dont spend so much time quoting each individual post....the button with the "+" on it next to "quote" is the multi-quote option. Click that for each post you wish to include....when you get ready to reply....click the quote button and it will put them all into one post.

Me86Rob
02-04-2010, 12:17 AM
i'm majoring in mechanical engineering as well :) .

cool what school/professor. I'm sure he would get a kick out of reading this. If you get your degree..may god have mercy on everybody. tape is stronger than paper. So if you rip a piece of paper in half, and tape it back together, by your logic that paper is more structurally sound than it was before. 1 peice made of 1 part is stronger than 1 piece made of 2 parts. Everything I have seen you post on here has literally been the dumbest thing I have ever read. You must have the mental capacity of one of Terri Schiavo's stool samples.

Elbow
02-04-2010, 06:58 AM
cool what school/professor. I'm sure he would get a kick out of reading this. If you get your degree..may god have mercy on everybody. tape is stronger than paper. So if you rip a piece of paper in half, and tape it back together, by your logic that paper is more structurally sound than it was before. 1 peice made of 1 part is stronger than 1 piece made of 2 parts. Everything I have seen you post on here has literally been the dumbest thing I have ever read. You must have the mental capacity of one of Terri Schiavo's stool samples.

Couldn't of said it better myself. :lmfao:

oneSLOWex
02-04-2010, 09:26 AM

X104903572348907

Im still trying to figure out why creating a weak point in the structure of a car and welding it back together seems safe. :thinking: I just dont get it.

Austin?
02-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Because you've made so many separate posts to quote people who posted versus just one post, you proved you have no clue what you're doing

the only thing im proven is that i don't spend 9 hours on IA everyday like you... you got almost 20,000 post and the funny thing is that IA owner julio got less then 14,000 post and he been on here 10 year. lol get a life!:lmfao:

go ride and bike, hike or walk your dog!

Austin?
02-04-2010, 10:32 AM
X104903572348907

Im still trying to figure out why creating a weak point in the structure of a car and welding it back together seems safe. :thinking: I just dont get it.

just to see if it goin to hold, when i see you i'll just run into your car.

oneSLOWex
02-04-2010, 10:34 AM
the only thing im proven is that i don't spend 9 hours on IA everyday like you... you got almost 20,000 post and the funny thing is that IA owner julio got less then 14,000 post and he been on here 10 year. lol get a life!:lmfao:

LOL too bad we cant sit around and hack up cars!

just to see if it goin to hold, when i see you i'll just run into your car.

Can I hold you to that? Its been wrecked before (none of them my fault). Make sure I dont get it back if you do. Oh, and I hope you have good insurance, my lawyer is expensive as fuck.

Austin?
02-04-2010, 11:24 AM
deleted due to repost

Austin?
02-04-2010, 11:25 AM
LOL too bad we cant sit around and hack up cars!

sit around a hack up car?:lmfao::lmfao:

but you got alot of time to SIT AROUND A POST?

oneSLOWex
02-04-2010, 11:45 AM
sit around AND hack up A car?:lmfao::lmfao:

but you got alot of time to SIT AROUND AND POST?

Is that what you meant?

If so, yes I do, it helps to pass the time while I am at work and between calls.

wanggsticky
02-04-2010, 02:24 PM
so whats the big deal? his car, his work, appreciate or not i dont understand why yall on his nutts about it. If he chooses to weld 2 peices of a car let him, and he'll learn from mistakes if not then the car would be perfectly okay.

nreggie454
02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
so whats the big deal? his car, his work, appreciate or not i dont understand why yall on his nutts about it. If he chooses to weld 2 peices of a car let him, and he'll learn from mistakes if not then the car would be perfectly okay.
The thing is, the car will not be perfectly OK. The structural integrity is compromised and he is too far into the project to admit/realize that it is a BAD idea. I hope that nothing happens to this car because there is no telling how it will react to collisions from any angle, or even stress of hard cornering or road hazards over time.

He may trust his welds, I sure as hell don't.

Me86Rob
02-04-2010, 06:43 PM
ya the bottom line is that car will be on the road with us and our loved ones.

gerardojdm
02-04-2010, 10:49 PM
i would never in the world would ride in this car!!!!!! i know someone that died driving in a car that was chopped just like this... over time the frame will break and i sure hope you arent arent in it.......

oneSLOWex
02-05-2010, 12:31 AM
i would never in the world would ride in this car!!!!!! i know someone that died driving in a car that was chopped just like this... over time the frame will break and i sure hope you arent arent in it.......

mother fucking proof right here. /\/\

still think its ok to do it this way?

Elbow
02-05-2010, 07:01 AM

I don't spend 9 hours a day on IA, it takes what two seconds to make a post? lol. This isn't even the point of the thread. Fact is you screwed up, not just a tiny mess up, you completely RUINED a car, it will NEVER be normal again.

I am willing to bet it handles like SHIT now.

Did you even really think about what you're doing?

"Hey guys I am going to cut my Teg in HALF and then re-weld it down the center right near my seat mounts. It'll be fucking ill dude."

Even if the best welder in the WORLD did this, it still wouldn't be safe, this just isn't how you do it. The only time I ever cut metal in half and re-welded it was a piece of a roll bar, not a major piece, I sleeved it to insure the most strength I could but still felt nasty doing it, like I said though it wasn't part of the actual structure and was more for chassis stiffening then the actual rollover protection.

I say scrap the car and start over, cut the front off and find a shell and if for some reason you still want RHD so you can be a JDM stunna, do it differently although RHD conversions are just scary in the first place.

sirkus
02-05-2010, 10:10 PM
I have no clue why someone would do something like this. It doesn't sound like a good idea to begin with. I weld probably 8-9 times a day at work.. and I know from experience that regardless of how well you can weld, the weld is still the weak spot.
Put glue on a piece of paper.. stick another sheet on top of it and let it dry. When you pull it off it will tare at the glued section. Now super glue 2 pieces of plastic together... and do the same thing... Guess what!? It will break in the same spot. He at least could have tried to DR it up a little and reinforce it with another piece of metal. Or a thicker weld.
As it sits now.. over time the car will bow in the middle. The doors will not line up in a few months. And if he has a fender bender the car will be totaled. Weld in a roll cage. It might help the car. It will save your life if you have a 30+mph wreck.

I selected yes because I want to follow this car till the end. It's entertaining to watch people test things, just to find out that they failed.

And as for the Tech student.. you are correct about "If the weld if correct, it will be stronger than the metal." But there is a small issue with it.. IT WILL STILL BE THE WEAKEST SPOT IN THE METAL. You can melt the metal perfect and create a perfect weld, but it will still fold before the solid metal. You can't recreate the same composition of strength of 1 whole piece of metal with a cut then a weld. Unless you have the magic UNDO welder.. that erases the cut to begin with. :) You do have a valid point though, just get some more experience with welding. :D

But I will give reps for doing something productive with a car.. even though it's for a silly cause. :goodjob:

DustnU
02-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Wow man that's crazy!!!! Good luck with it bro wanna see when it's done.

OTG Signs
02-06-2010, 02:56 PM
mother fucking proof right here. /\/\

still think its ok to do it this way?

A sentence is adequate proof now? Nice.

oneSLOWex
02-06-2010, 05:22 PM
A sentence is adequate proof now? Nice.

of the stupid shit being done to this car? maybe. its more of an example of what will more than likely happen because of the op's uber welding skills.:rolleyes:

FoolsDrifFWD
02-06-2010, 05:34 PM
just dont crash. you WILL be dead

hybrid90accord
02-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Isnt that how west coast customs makes there 2 door benz s550 or there 2 door dodge charger. Most custom limo's are chopped but one one says anything about those????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????

oneSLOWex
02-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Isnt that how west coast customs makes there 2 door benz s550 or there 2 door dodge charger. Most custom limo's are chopped but one one says anything about those????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????
body on frame vehicle....same deal as a minitruck
:goodjob:

Nittanys1
02-06-2010, 07:04 PM
pics of progress?

Elbow
02-06-2010, 07:20 PM

:no:

FoolsDrifFWD
02-06-2010, 10:12 PM
will be dead

MugenCrx
03-13-2010, 12:00 AM
GL bro keep up the good work reps to you

Elbow
03-13-2010, 10:38 AM
LOL at bumping this back up.

However I definitely lol'd all over again.

B18c1Turboed
03-13-2010, 10:49 AM
One of my friends BMW was but toghter like this also. It got T boned and nothing happened. Just depends on the person doing the work i guess...

tuner_dude
03-13-2010, 11:22 AM
just finished reading all the posts lol... any updated pics?

Austin?
03-13-2010, 11:49 AM
all my body works (dents,ding, and hole ) done. i did some work on it last night just to get it ready for prime. and also got my itr jdm front already...

JDMJAYDC2
03-13-2010, 11:56 AM
pics? i want to see the progress

Austin?
03-13-2010, 12:02 PM
all picture are still in my camera now, i might upload it tonight or tomorrow morning.

Elbow
03-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Have you sat in it yet? Did it bend? lolol

TougeGTR-33
03-13-2010, 12:08 PM
lulz

TougeGTR-33
03-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Dude for the money your spending on the itr front end and the half cut and all that, you could have just bought a RHD car alot cheaper from japan. then just got it titled. Not knocking or anything, its your car/money. Just sayin.

Austin?
03-13-2010, 12:41 PM
do you know how much i get my itr front for?

didn't think so

Austin?
03-13-2010, 12:48 PM
to where im right now with my built all my cost is less then $500.00.
donor car, front clip and itr jdm for less then 500.00. can you beat that?

sorry that you have to spend more then that for a car..

oneSLOWex
03-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Dude for the money your spending on the itr front end and the half cut and all that, you could have just bought a RHD car alot cheaper from japan. then just got it titled. Not knocking or anything, its your car/money. Just sayin.

To me it wouldnt be a money issue....its about safety. I dont see how cutting corners when it comes to safety is a thing that anyone could even consider.

TougeGTR-33
03-13-2010, 01:04 PM
To me it wouldnt be a money issue....its about safety. I dont see how cutting corners when it comes to safety is a thing that anyone could even consider.

Yeah kinda what I was getting at. For the same money, He wouldn't have had to make a death trap. He could have Just bought a RHD Honda from Japan and it would have been perfectly safe. Actually He probably would have saved some money doing it that way.

oneSLOWex
03-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Yeah kinda what I was getting at. For the same money, He wouldn't have had to make a death trap. He could have Just bought a RHD Honda from Japan and it would have been perfectly safe. Actually He probably would have saved some money doing it that way.

LOL his life and everyone on the road with him is riding on $500 worth of car instead....:no:

TougeGTR-33
03-13-2010, 01:10 PM
LOL his life and everyone on the road with him is riding on $500 worth of car instead....:no:

lulz! True that. Some people are ridiculous. :screwy:

TougeGTR-33
03-13-2010, 01:21 PM

LOL! Dude i would feel like ass if i spend 500 for a car. i would feel like it was going to blow up any second, or in your case break in half at any second. I spend alot of money on cars to make them look nice and be completely comfortable and safe. let alone the Correct performance mods. I wouldnt brag too much about you only spending 500 bucks on that kinda build.

.blank cd
03-13-2010, 04:00 PM
This is kinda blowing it way out of proportion here. Honestly, whats the WORST thing that could happen? Sure you wouldnt go buy two cars welded together, but its not likely that hes gonna take anyone out on the road with him if something catastrophic happens

green91
03-13-2010, 06:45 PM
This is kinda blowing it way out of proportion here. Honestly, whats the WORST thing that could happen? Sure you wouldnt go buy two cars welded together, but its not likely that hes gonna take anyone out on the road with him if something catastrophic happens

You want to gamble your family and friends lives on that?

Me86Rob
03-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Jesus christ are you still trying to convince us that what you did was a good idea?

teh_mugen18
03-13-2010, 07:49 PM

uhhh...

cheap->reliable->fast

^^If you pick 2 of the above options together, and the 3rd one that is left over is what will be lacking from the build... ex: if you want it to be fast and reliable, it will not be cheap. Even though this may or may not be a ''fast car'' build, it still applies here. I'm not knocking on you, but I probably wouldn't feel safe in it either if it had a cost THAT low. Most good usdm LHD shells aren't even this cheap :(

Hope all goes well in the end for you.

TougeGTR-33
03-13-2010, 09:56 PM
You want to gamble your family and friends lives on that?

This.

EJ6
03-14-2010, 09:24 AM
my boy hatch was done this way, DD it for 9 years an still riding strong, front end collision,tboned from the front, three fender bender, car still in tact. GL on the build i wanna seee some updates

bigdom
03-14-2010, 10:00 AM

yes limosines are kinda made this way, but they are placed on longer FRAMES and they are welded in a specific Z shaped cut at the corners, because it is on a frame, my thinking is that it wouldn`t decrease the strength by that much. but, since this is a unibody car, that has been cut in half and re-welded together, i can see where simon and others have a valid point in the vehicle being unsafe. i am no expert so dont get me wrong and im not providing expert advice. i am just take what i am told by people and peice stuff together that makes sense and is logical. this way of converting a car seems to not be logical at all. but hey man, your car, your build, your problem. so yeah.....

im not bashing or making argument, wish you good luck on the build, and ill pray for the lives of all that are on a road when an accident occurs with this. but hell, why do this when you couldve just done a firewall swap? is that not a better thing to do?

Barefoot
03-14-2010, 10:30 AM
holy shit when this car gets running and on the road give me a call 7702968999 and warn me to stay of the roads for the day.

JDMJAYDC2
03-14-2010, 03:20 PM
lol for all the haters your getting i bet when you show up to the V guys will be pushing to take a look at it

oneSLOWex
03-14-2010, 05:03 PM
lol for all the haters your getting i bet when you show up to the V guys will be pushing to take a look at it

Have you ever looked up the definition of hater? I dont think anyone is "hating", people are just being smart.