PDA

View Full Version : "clutch stop" ??

chuck
01-29-2010, 01:08 PM
was thinking about trying this, anyone seen such a thing?? it makes sense, would be just be worried about causing extra wear, syncros getting f'd, etc...i really don't know much about transmissions.

http://home.comcast.net/~matthew.c.smith/mods/clutch_stop/index.htm

SilverStoneZ
01-29-2010, 05:31 PM
For all that work how much more efficient(fast) are you gonna compress the clutch and shift? Maybe a better idea is to move your foot faster.

eraser4g63
01-30-2010, 12:04 PM
I am in the process of building something similar for my car.

.:Stirfry:.
01-30-2010, 12:06 PM
hhhmmmm.

Jin
01-30-2010, 02:03 PM
They're actually EXTREMELY common on BMW's

UUC Motorwerks (a reputable parts maker) makes a clutch stop which I blindly bought for 20 dollars. Turns out you can make something identical at Home depot for 3 dollars.

Jin
01-30-2010, 02:05 PM
BTW when I bought mine years ago, I asked a tech at UUC and he explained it wouldn't do any damage due to the engagement point still being exactly where it was or something to that nature. You just have to get used to the shorter engagement point.

chuck
02-02-2010, 10:09 AM
For all that work how much more efficient(fast) are you gonna compress the clutch and shift? Maybe a better idea is to move your foot faster.

its not the speed, its the travel...i move my feet as fast as i can, even through the neighborhood, lol...now i just don't have to move it as far. it might just be a BMW thing like others said, but there is like 3-4 inches of extra play in the pedal.

i think i'll give it a whirl...

SPOOLIN
02-02-2010, 10:25 AM
wow that is entirely over engineered. You could splice the wires together for the clutch start switch and use the threaded hole for the clutch start switch. Put a bolt in it and adjust it to where you want the pedal to stop. Otherwise, weld a long nut to the clutch pedal arm and use a bolt through it to adjust where you want it to stop against the floor board, weld a larger washer to the head of the bolt to give more surface area against the floor board, cut off excess...done.

speedminded
02-02-2010, 10:56 AM
wow that is entirely over engineered. You could splice the wires together for the clutch start switch and use the threaded hole for the clutch start switch. Put a bolt in it and adjust it to where you want the pedal to stop. Otherwise, weld a long nut to the clutch pedal arm and use a bolt through it to adjust where you want it to stop against the floor board, weld a larger washer to the head of the bolt to give more surface area against the floor board, cut off excess...done.OR just become familiar with the engagement point so you don't have to fully depress the pedal.

I correlate the clutch stop mod to a tennis ball hanging from the ceiling of the garage because people don't know where the front of their car is.

Become familiar with your car and neither is needed.

chuck
02-02-2010, 10:56 AM
wow that is entirely over engineered. You could splice the wires together for the clutch start switch and use the threaded hole for the clutch start switch. Put a bolt in it and adjust it to where you want the pedal to stop. Otherwise, weld a long nut to the clutch pedal arm and use a bolt through it to adjust where you want it to stop against the floor board, weld a larger washer to the head of the bolt to give more surface area against the floor board, cut off excess...done.

lol, yeah, i definitely had a different design in mind...was thinking the same thing, quite overcomplicated.

clutch start switch idea?? ...not everything is like a honda

Blitanicle99
02-02-2010, 02:33 PM
This is a big thing in the BMW world.

I got one for my M3(s) and loved them.

Just a little part to make your shifts more exact.

As long as you set it right, no damage can be done to your tranny. You won't regret this mod :goodjob:

chuck
02-02-2010, 02:46 PM
OR just become familiar with the engagement point so you don't have to fully depress the pedal.

I correlate the clutch stop mod to a tennis ball hanging from the ceiling of the garage because people don't know where the front of their car is.

true, but what if you had to park that car in the garage and you could never actually get out and see how you much room you had??

i have 2 other cars (audi) with ZERO clutch play...it's quite a hard habit (for me) to get out of just pushing the pedal all the way everytime. i wouldn't want to add extra travel to any pedal just to "test my foot control"...but i would love to do something simple like this to get rid of all excess...anything to make it easier and simply save time.

speedminded
02-02-2010, 03:01 PM
true, but what if you had to park that car in the garage and you could never actually get out and see how you much room you had??

i have 2 other cars (audi) with ZERO clutch play...it's quite a hard habit (for me) to get out of just pushing the pedal all the way everytime. i wouldn't want to add extra travel to any pedal just to "test my foot control"...but i would love to do something simple like this to get rid of all excess...anything to make it easier and simply save time.The point was I know where the front on my car is and can park within an inch or two of a curb without touching it...just like I know where the disengagement point is for the clutch pedal so never have to push it to the floor BUT yes the mod allows for precise engagements every time.

josh green
02-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Speedminded, you are wrong in the sense that some aftermarket clutches need a clutch stop to prevent over extending the fingers on the pressure plate. It's not all a "you need to learn your car thing."

chuck
02-05-2010, 02:23 PM
i must say, i've worn my clutch more in the past few day than i did all last year put together.

i'll either try this clutch stop or just push it all the way...it's so hard to feather this thing when you only have one real muscle memory for that leg.

atlxpat
02-06-2010, 03:26 AM
wouldnt this kill your throwout bearing?

Humphrizzle
02-06-2010, 03:47 AM
OR just become familiar with the engagement point so you don't have to fully depress the pedal.

EXACTLY what I was going to type.

roscoe
02-06-2010, 08:15 PM
After reading your post Speedminded I went to a friends house and what do you know a tennis ball haning from the ceiling in their garage. I lol'ed

speedminded
02-07-2010, 02:57 AM
Speedminded, you are wrong in the sense that some aftermarket clutches need a clutch stop to prevent over extending the fingers on the pressure plate. It's not all a "you need to learn your car thing."
"to prevent over extending"

Do you not know where it begins slipping and the exact point the pressure plate fully disengages the clutch disc? The clutch pedal isn't on the floor is it? It doesn't take but a couple hours of driving to become familiar with the exact disengagement point and rarely will it ever require the pedal to be pressed to the floor to do it. The clutch stop is merely a handicap tool to help prevent miss-shifts.

DavidV
02-19-2010, 05:11 PM
They're actually EXTREMELY common on BMW's

UUC Motorwerks (a reputable parts maker) makes a clutch stop which I blindly bought for 20 dollars. Turns out you can make something identical at Home depot for 3 dollars.

My dad just got his new ACT clutch put in his e36 m3, (had original clutch for 156,000 miles ):eek: The new clutch would disengage and then begin to REengage if it was pushed all the way to the floor. That is the reason he got his clutch stop, just so it wouldn't reengage again.

We live 5 minutes from UUC (we know the owner) and went to pick up a clutch stop about 30 minutes ago, and it worked like a charm. :D Took like 2 minutes to install on the BMW.