PDA

View Full Version : I'm cheap... you?

Kevykev
01-28-2010, 09:26 AM
I have a home in decatur (brother's rent it from me) and a house in stockbridge (Close to Decatur/Conyers side) me and wife's crib.

Trash pickup is extra in stockbridge but included in Decatur's water/sanitation bill...see where this is headed?

I drop the trash off in Decatur once per week or twice per month to avoid paying for trash pickup in stockbridge.

Discuss?

or no?

I'm not the only frugal mofo on here so lemme hear it.

brb

95alty
01-28-2010, 09:31 AM
I drive 20 miles to save 20c a Gallon on gas lol

punkr6
01-28-2010, 09:31 AM
sounds like a really good idea, not a lot to discuss...

Miss.Kayla
01-28-2010, 09:33 AM
i take my trash to my grandmothers..its free :goodjob:

BluesClues
01-28-2010, 09:34 AM
My mom did the same thing for years long time ago. Couldn't afford trash service so she would drop it off at the dumpster at work. Oh and she doesn't have gas so she has plug in heaters and uses her stove to keep the house warm. Been doing that for years too. Gas bill too expensive. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to keep your head above water

Kevykev
01-28-2010, 09:34 AM

That'll work if orchestrated correctly, oh yeah - LUNCH NGGA!!!

sounds like a really good idea, not a lot to discuss...

Discuss and is - Your personal cheapness. :yes:

Kevykev
01-28-2010, 09:35 AM
i take my trash to my grandmothers..its free :goodjob:

My mom did the same thing for years long time ago. Couldn't afford trash service so she would drop it off at the dumpster at work. Oh and she doesn't have gas so she has plug in heaters and uses her stove to keep the house warm. Been doing that for years too. Gas bill too expensive. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to keep your head above water

Hahahaha I've got supporters. lol :cheers:

Miss.Kayla
01-28-2010, 09:40 AM
and you got repped :D

ATLTSX
01-28-2010, 09:54 AM
I see that being smart not cheap. :goodjob:

Kevykev
01-28-2010, 09:56 AM
I see that being smart not cheap. :goodjob:

True, I ball out where it matters and cut costs where they need to be CUT!

S2KJD
01-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Im frugal as well and considered bringing our trash to my work dump when it went up in $ last quarter but then i figured $19 per month for $57 per quarter isnt all that bad to avoid the pain in the ass it would be to do the trash at work thing.

Guess I'm frugal in the sense that I rarely buy things that I dont need.

xxbckiexx
01-28-2010, 10:00 AM
I put my trash in front of miss.kaylas trailer. no one knows the difference.

Greddypacked
01-28-2010, 10:30 AM

Krogers gas rocks. W/ a Kroger card you get 10 cents a gallon off gas. Usually in most areas you have one every 5 miles or less unless you live in the boonies. Might be cheaper if you go that route.

Echonova
01-28-2010, 10:38 AM
This is only a good idea if you have a truck and make regular trips to Decatur anyway. Putting trash inside my car on a hot summer day... Not appealing to me.

How much is trash pickup in Stockbridge? I pay $64 every three months. It's less than a .75 a day...

punkr6
01-28-2010, 10:43 AM
I buy all my Blu Ray movies used off ebay, saves me about 6 bucks a movie on average...

Greddypacked
01-28-2010, 10:48 AM
There is this liquor store that sells awesome priced Icehouse beer for 3.90 something. So w/ tax about 4.15 and you buy a six pack of 16 ounce beers. So your basically buying a 8 pack of beer for 4.15 and it rocks. Alot of times I'll buy one of these go to a pre party and drink them down hit a club and wont need to spend half as much partying lol. Saves good money cuz clubbing/partying cost some ca$h.

allout13
01-28-2010, 11:34 AM
I drive 60 mph on the interstate to save on gas even though it only adds up to about $100 saved per semester. :(

I also ride my bike anywhere within riding distance when the car isn't neccessary. It is pretty good on gas as well.

BluesClues
01-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Another good frugal idea, unplug your tv's when not in use (saves on the electric bill), change all light bulbs to florescent, don't use heat in the day time with the sun out; only at night. This is how I save seeing as I live alone I don't have the luxury of splitting expenses with someone.

5speed
01-28-2010, 11:47 AM
That is the way you gotta be these days

Kevykev
01-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Damn, look at all of these Clark Howard mofos in here!

I am proud!

ISAtlanta300
01-28-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't use toilet paper... i just go straight to the shower to rinse my ass off.....

Now that's saving !!

(just kidding, of course....)

Greddypacked
01-28-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't use toilet paper... i just go straight to the shower to rinse my ass off.....

Now that's saving !!

:lmfao: but you putting on the water bill now lol.

thegovanator
01-28-2010, 01:34 PM
I used to drive into another county to save about a quarter on gas

Kevykev
01-28-2010, 01:35 PM

Now that's saving !!

i will never look at you the same.

regardless of the j/k

EL42
01-28-2010, 02:08 PM
Another good frugal idea, unplug your tv's when not in use (saves on the electric bill), change all light bulbs to florescent, don't use heat in the day time with the sun out; only at night. This is how I save seeing as I live alone I don't have the luxury of splitting expenses with someone.
:goodjob: cool, another one is harassing a friend to buy jerk chicken if you're gonna visit. :lmfao:

Crazy Asian
01-28-2010, 03:14 PM
use a shower cap for your condoms. Rinse and repeat.

Kevykev
01-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Hahahahah ^ That damn CRASIAN!

BluesClues
01-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Damn, look at all of these Clark Howard mofos in here!

I am proud!
Clark Howard is the richest cheapest person I know! lol :goodjob:

BluesClues
01-28-2010, 04:12 PM
:goodjob: cool, another one is harassing a friend to buy jerk chicken if you're gonna visit. :lmfao:
Say what now?

EL42
01-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Say what now?
:D....um nothing,don't beat me.....:( i heard you been working out...;)

BluesClues
01-28-2010, 05:16 PM
:D....um nothing,don't beat me.....:( i heard you been working out...;)
I have!

Echonova
01-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Another good frugal idea, change all light bulbs to florescentThis is such a bad idea... Too bad the Imperial Federal Government isn't giving us a choice, soon the good 'ole incandescent light bulb will be history. Compact florescent bulbs contain Mercury, which is bad. What do you do if you break one?

Before Clean-up: Air Out the Room

Have people and pets leave the room, and don't let anyone walk through the breakage area on their way out.

Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.

Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system, if you have one.

Sweep the glass up (not vacuum because that will make the Mercury airborne) and place the shards in a sealed plastic bag.

Use a wet paper towel or roll up a ball of tape (sticky side out of course) to pick up the remaining smaller shards

Immediately wash your hands

Pray for forgiveness

A broken CFL is a HAZMAT situation.

BluesClues
01-28-2010, 06:07 PM
OMG!!!!!! WHAT?! :eek:

Echonova
01-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Oh, and you are not supposed to throw them in the trash (even non-broken ones). Please visit your closest hazardous material disposal site so they can recycle them properly.

Don't need all that Mercury leeching into the ground water...

BluesClues
01-28-2010, 06:19 PM
HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO REMEMBER ALL OF THAT?! If they are that bad, then why are they suggesting switching to them and selling them? They honestly can't be that hazardous

Echonova
01-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Refer to your friendly EPA guidelines of course...

http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_lighting/ask_us/downloads/cfl_cleanup_and_disposal.pdf

^^^ Not a joke, the real thing.

From GE...

What do I do with a CFL when it burns out? What is the proper disposal of a CFL bulb?
Follow these guidelines to dispose your CFL properly:

* Like paint, batteries, thermostats, and other hazardous household items, CFLs should be disposed of properly. Do not throw CFLs away in your household garbage if better disposal options exist. To find out what to do first check www.earth911.org (where you can find disposal options by using your zip code) or call 1-800-CLEAN-UP for local disposal options.

BluesClues
01-28-2010, 06:33 PM
THAT IS FREAKIN INSANE! Ok, so I don't want these light bulbs anymore.

Nerdsrock22
01-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Cheap? Yes.

No internet, no tv, minimal climate control in house.

Lots of Kool-aid.

Echonova
01-28-2010, 06:36 PM
THAT IS FREAKIN INSANE! Ok, so I don't want these light bulbs anymore.You don't have a choice. CFL's are mandated.

New light bulbs can poison you

Despite congressional mandate for CFLs by 2012, U.S. EPA says they shouldn't be used everywhere

Posted: February 26, 2008
8:36 pm Eastern

© 2010 WorldNetDaily
http://www.wnd.com/images/cfl.jpg

WASHINGTON – Despite a congressional mandate banning the sale of common incandescent light bulbs by 2012, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is warning that their compact fluorescent replacements are not safe to use everywhere.
The EPA says breakage of the energy-saving, mercury-containing CFLs can cause health hazards, especially for children and pregnant women, suggesting use of the bulbs over carpeted areas should be avoided. If bulbs break over carpeted areas, the cleanup may require cutting out pieces of the carpet to avoid toxic exposures.
is needed for the lamps to produce light, and there are currently no known substitutes. Small amounts of the toxic substance is vaporized when they break, which can happen if people screw them in holding the glass instead of the base or just drop them.
Mercury is a naturally occurring metal that accumulates in the body and can harm the of a fetus or young child if ingested in sufficient quantity.
For the Maine study, researchers shattered 65 compact fluorescents to test air quality and cleanup methods. They found that, in many cases, immediately after the bulb was broken – and sometimes even after a cleanup was attempted – levels of mercury vapor exceeded federal guidelines for chronic exposure by as much as 100 times.

slostang
01-28-2010, 06:41 PM
two words.

ramen noodles.

BluesClues
WTF?!

Echonova
Creamy Chicken is the BOMB!!!!!!

Nerdsrock22
01-28-2010, 06:42 PM
two words.

ramen noodles.

This. I've done some pretty amazing things.

BluesClues
01-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Can never go wrong with beef and shrimp! nom nom nom

DVSRX-7
01-28-2010, 08:31 PM
I have a home in decatur (brother's rent it from me) and a house in stockbridge (Close to Decatur/Conyers side) me and wife's crib.

Trash pickup is extra in stockbridge but included in Decatur's water/sanitation bill...see where this is headed?

I drop the trash off in Decatur once per week or twice per month to avoid paying for trash pickup in stockbridge.

Discuss?

or no?

I'm not the only frugal mofo on here so lemme hear it.

brb

LOL take my trash to the apartments down the street! REPPED

P.s. your not being cheap, we are in a recession! :lmfao:

allout13
01-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Creamy Chicken is the BOMB!!!!!!

hands down, that is my favorite flavor. :goodjob:

the local walmart rarely keeps them in stock though, and they never have them in the bulk packs :(

Echonova
01-28-2010, 09:22 PM
hands down, that is my favorite flavor. :goodjob:

the local walmart rarely keeps them in stock though, and they never have them in the bulk packs :(My wife finds them some of the time at the Publix near our house. When she does she is well-trained to just grab the whole tray/box and throw it in the cart.

BluesClues
01-28-2010, 09:27 PM
LOL @ well trained

Echonova
01-28-2010, 09:29 PM
I keep my pimp-hand strong girlfriend. Believe that.

BluesClues
01-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Ah silky!

1990wade
01-28-2010, 09:51 PM
down here in the country we burn ours yep sure do:D

ISAtlanta300
01-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Refer to your friendly EPA guidelines of course...

http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_lighting/ask_us/downloads/cfl_cleanup_and_disposal.pdf

^^^ Not a joke, the real thing.

From GE...

What do I do with a CFL when it burns out? What is the proper disposal of a CFL bulb?
Follow these guidelines to dispose your CFL properly:

* Like paint, batteries, thermostats, and other hazardous household items, CFLs should be disposed of properly. Do not throw CFLs away in your household garbage if better disposal options exist. To find out what to do first check www.earth911.org (where you can find disposal options by using your zip code) or call 1-800-CLEAN-UP for local disposal options.

Relax, dude.... while small businesses and corporations would need a company to haul away their toxic waste, State and Federal law provide exemption for residents, as long as it is solid....

Halfwit
01-29-2010, 03:01 PM
i watch the mail. when coupons for food places (mostly fast food) i cut them individually, and when friends wanna go get something to eat, i go where i have coupons. usually save 2$(from 5 to 3) or have extra food to eat at another meal.

i dont just go places- i think of where i will need to go all week, wait til i can do it all at once.

i put only a few gallons of gas in my car at a time- makes me not wanna just drive around bc "i have no gas" and a lighter car uses less gas than a heavy car (yes i know its very minimal)

if im going to eat somewhere like fast food, ill stop at quiktrip first, use my "refill cup" to buy a specialty drink (fountain drink or frozen cappucino) cost less than 1$ take that with me to the food place and drink it instead of spending (at least 1.49$) on a drink. (and most coupons are for sandwitches "if u buy fries" or "buy one get one free" so they dont include a drink. (thats where they get you)

warm? i can wear a hoodie and cudddle in a blanket rather than have my heat on 68+

many other small things. like i wanted aftermarket exhaust for my 4 wheeler, instead of spending 200+ i went on motorcycle forum asked if anyone has a stock muffler from a sportbike thye would give me, bam free exhaust. made for much bigger motor so it has a lil better flow, looks better, and free.

buy "homestyle bakes" meals. they are 3$ and have enough food for 2 meals easily. and they are good, and some are very healthy. (chik/vegetables-rice/chik-noodles/chik)

order shoes off of internet when i do buy them, always cheaper.

anytime i need something that doesnt have to be new, i go on craigslist first.

i love budgeting.