PDA

View Full Version : I tried the search button...ls/vtec ?

Slomaro Z28
01-27-2010, 09:06 PM
I am looking into buying a car off here very soon, its a 98 civic w/ boosted b18. The bottom is supposed to be built, it has 660 injectors and a t3/t4 turbo, Skunk 2 Intake manifold and forged pistons. I would like around 350-400 WHP, I was told it isn't possible without spending a good chunk on the LS head. On to the questions.

Would a B16 head help me reach that goal?

Is the head w/ cams, dizzy and LS/Vtec kit all I need?

It's tuned with Chrome, do I still need a ECU?

Whats a ballpark figure for having the head swapped at a shop?

Thanks and reps for any help:cheers:

jcs
01-27-2010, 11:08 PM
well the b16 head is gonna help a good bit....it would take alot of machine work to get the ls head to flow possibly close to a stock vtec head...you would need a complete head and something like a golden eagle lsv kit..then it would have to be retuned..

also something to thing abt is that the bottom end is built for that ls and the vtec head could throw compression in another direction..

but with what your lookin for i think the ls could make that power goal,ive seen a complete stock ls make 303 so no reason for that setup to reach what you want with good tuning

Slomaro Z28
01-27-2010, 11:18 PM
What is the motor currently making? on how many pounds?

I don't have it yet, but its at 230 to the wheels @ 11psi (stock MAP)

well the b16 head is gonna help a good bit....it would take alot of machine work to get the ls head to flow possibly close to a stock vtec head...you would need a complete head and something like a golden eagle lsv kit..then it would have to be retuned..

also something to thing abt is that the bottom end is built for that ls and the vtec head could throw compression in another direction..

but with what your lookin for i think the ls could make that power goal,ive seen a complete stock ls make 303 so no reason for that setup to reach what you want with good tuning

Yeah, its getting retuned either way. It says its destroked, I guess lower compression.

My other option is to have the LS head worked, trying to see which is more cost efficent.

tmracing83
01-28-2010, 09:34 AM
I say go with the b16 head and skunk 2 it all out. I mean I believe ur talkin about dallasb's civic... Which came from catnip; so you never know what your gonna get. Plus if you ever want more power you will know the head is durable.

Slomaro Z28
01-28-2010, 02:27 PM
I say go with the b16 head and skunk 2 it all out. I mean I believe ur talkin about dallasb's civic... Which came from catnip; so you never know what your gonna get. Plus if you ever want more power you will know the head is durable.

Yeah, that's the civic I am talking about. The head I found is $350, I can do the cam, springs and retainers myself......but not sure about the wiring on the LS/Vtec.

My other thoughts were to replace the ebay turbo and wastegate, with turbonetics stuff, get a new MAP sensor,re- tuned and drive it with what ever it makes. Which is probably the best bang for the buck.

tmracing83
01-28-2010, 03:51 PM
^^^^ sounds good!

Slomaro Z28
01-28-2010, 04:01 PM
^^^^ sounds good!

Which one, lol.

tmracing83
01-28-2010, 04:11 PM
The second option. If you don't want to spend as much.

If you got money to blow go lsvtec

tmracing83
01-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Eaither way thinking about it now your talkin about a boosted civic so if you do get the b16 head your not even going to feel the vtec lol or atleast not strong like vtec should be!

I know when I had my turbo d I never even felt vtec, and it HAD vtec.
Then I got my gsr and I loved it