PDA

View Full Version : Want input

Stormhammer
01-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Alright, so you all know my Starion needs an engine rebuild due to crank walk.

Engine rebuild will be at least $1500+

For a little more, I could score an 89 Conquest/Starion with these specs

Lots of mods:
Factory sun roof
Sylvania silver star lights
Short shifter with upgraded boot and shift knob
Auto meter boost gauge installed in stock boost gauge position
Halmeter A/f 30 air fuel gauge
Blaukpunkt mp3 player, Pioneer DSP processor, JBL components in front, Blaupunkt 6x9’s in back, JBL bazooka tube in trunk. Four channel 300 watt for mids and highs, 150 watt amp for bass unit.
Starion tail lights

.040-over hyper-u pistons, total seal gapless rings
Balanced and Blueprinted
Non jet valve head, hd valve springs, tep street cam, mechanical lifters, BSEK
Chromed valve cover
1g mas w/ hks super mega flow on stock air box
NEW Big 16g turbo
HKS racing BOV
Sparco upgraded front mount intercooler
Intercooler hard pipes 2.25”
New MSD blaster 2 coil
4 wire o2 sensor
Full 3’ exhaust from turbo back w/ 3’ baffled muffler and new 3’ flex pipe(no cats)
Bosch high flow fuel pump (fuel pump rewire)
HKS FCON piggyback fuel management
Bosch rising rate fuel pressure regulator
HV oil pump
ARP studs throughout motor
Lightened stock flywheel

Eibach springs installed all round
Tokico rear strut cartridges
Upgraded front and rear sway bars with polyurethane mounts
Trust front strut bar

---

NOW I ask this. Do you or would you value color over it?

I ask because my Starion has its electrical gremlins, but is a rare color. Said car with mods is a very common one, aside from a rare interior, common color, but no electrical issues.

Would you
A) fix modded car and sell rare colored one
B) Swap all that shit over into rare car and sell/give away rolling chassis
C) Other

Justin51982
01-25-2010, 03:47 PM
c. keep both

DVSRX-7
01-25-2010, 04:04 PM
c. keep both

what he said, keep both & have your current one as a parts car or fix it little by little.

C. give me the wheels off it :D

Glides
01-25-2010, 04:22 PM
I would get the other one. If it has no problems, you can drive it asap. Then you can decide whether or not it is worth it to keep the rare one. Cause let's face it, yea....it's a rare color but we are not talking about a Vintage car here. The rare color is going to give it what.....a couple hundred extra when you go to sell it?

Get one you can enjoy right away and then figure out the other one. You will just waste 10 times the time by messing with that gremlined on thinking you are going to restore it. And let's face it, Money is fun....and time IS money. So the more time you waste, the more fun you lose and the more money you piss away. :)

Stormhammer
01-26-2010, 12:56 AM
Hmm, yeah EP3sAreFun was saying you could always just paint it Palermo

Dolemite
01-26-2010, 09:22 AM
2j or 4g63 both of them.

n00bsrus
01-26-2010, 09:23 AM
rebuild yourself!!!! minus the machining work.

tdurr
01-26-2010, 04:42 PM
C. keep both figure out wuts wrong with it, and if its a easy fix cool, if not sell it for 1k lol. i know they dont go for much sadly.

dragoncelica
01-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Starion g54b engines are = to fail if not done properlly and if done properlly is outdated and a pig anyways bet choice is swap a 4g63 or 2jz thats your best deal.

RutRoe
01-26-2010, 10:16 PM
I would get the other one. If it has no problems, you can drive it asap. Then you can decide whether or not it is worth it to keep the rare one. Cause let's face it, yea....it's a rare color but we are not talking about a Vintage car here. The rare color is going to give it what.....a couple hundred extra when you go to sell it?

Get one you can enjoy right away and then figure out the other one. You will just waste 10 times the time by messing with that gremlined on thinking you are going to restore it. And let's face it, Money is fun....and time IS money. So the more time you waste, the more fun you lose and the more money you piss away. :)

+ 111111111111,000,000,000 billion

That's great advice coming from someone who's had what ? 130 + cars ? Glides knows what he's talking about...

I've had just over 40 cars, and I feel the same way. The Starion's and Quest's are neat..but they're not rare enough for you to hold onto it for years and years, and then sell it and pay for your kids college with it. Know what I mean ?

So Glides it right. Get something you can drive now and enjoy now. Your car has value in having another person, just like you, buying it and continuing the project that is it.

Good luck!

EP3sAreFun
01-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Starion g54b engines are = to fail if not done properlly and if done properlly is outdated and a pig anyways bet choice is swap a 4g63 or 2jz thats your best deal.

http://www.epa.gov/oppt/itc/pubs/tscacbitesting/images/wrong.jpg

EP3sAreFun
01-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Get the drivable car and bring me your palermo. we'll look at it and find out whats wrong. I'll also see if i can trace down your electrical problem.

Better to have one to drive... than the "right" color sitting in your drive way rotting away :)

brownhornet
01-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Get the drivable car and bring me your palermo. we'll look at it and find out whats wrong. I'll also see if i can trace down your electrical problem.

Better to have one to drive... than the "right" color sitting in your drive way rotting away :)

x2

And sounds like a concerned fellow owner is willing to help you out with the one you already have. Sounds like 100% win to me.:D

Stormhammer
01-29-2010, 12:27 AM

That's kind of an ignorant statement. Yeah, the engine is TBI, stock, but you now have affordable MPI upgrades. Sure, it's no 2JZ, or 4G63, but c'mon, the amount of R&D put into the aftermarket support of those engines, I don't think a G54B will ever touch. Plus, I like the G54B :D Just like some folks with older Toyotas like their 22R's.

That being said, for the moment, till I hear back from the seller, the car will be heading up to EP3sAreFun's garage to have the engine torn out, flipped over, and examined for what it may all need.

In addition to me possibly picking up an assembled running engine and another disassembled one, if it doesn't sell out from under me.

-sigh- Time to have a liquidation sale of all the shit I've managed to accumulate. :cheers:

Also, RutRoe - I never got into these cars to one day sell for profit. Nor do I ever intend to. It's more a fact that the color is so damn hard to find, and I personally like it. Call me a nit pick asshole, but if I were to repaint a black car the palermo color, it'd still eat at me inside knowing it's not a true palermo :no: OCD ftl

Actually, Kyle, if I somehow manage to pick up Massey's 89, I may go with a reverse color scheme of yours :D

Stormhammer
01-29-2010, 12:28 AM
C. keep both figure out wuts wrong with it, and if its a easy fix cool, if not sell it for 1k lol. i know they dont go for much sadly.

You know, it can be sad if you're trying to sell it for profit.

On the flip side? It's freaking GREAT if you want to buy one :lmao: