PDA

View Full Version : Why do people start drinking?

DrivenMind
10-27-2005, 12:42 AM
This is gonna go with the "why do people start smoking?" thread, just pertaining to drinking?

So when, where, why, and what got you started drinking?

To this day I drink way way way more than I should for my age, which is really "ok" with today's culture, but basically... I'm prescribed 30 mg of Adderall which I take daily for "impulse control", if you've ever taken Adderall, you know it can make you come up with great things, but it feels just like being really, insanely nervous about something for 6 hours a day. Your heart rate sky rockets, your hands shake and you focus insanely hard on whatever you choose to focus on. You can't sit still long enough to do nothing, so you do whatever you're told.

I drink becuase it's kinda like the opposite of my stupid overly prescribed prescription drug. While the adderall had me "On Edge" all day long, Alcohol being that it's a depressant relaxes me quite a bit. It's essentially the exact opposite of "adderall" and it's nice to be able to relax after a day of being ridiculously anxious all day long.

dwnsthGABOY
10-27-2005, 06:22 PM

dwnsthGABOY
10-27-2005, 06:23 PM
It depends, this question can be answered in many different ways. People generally drink to relax, run away from problems, or to have a good time. Young people under 21 sometimes begin to drink, because it's the "thing" to do to be cool or whatever. So basically it starts there. Of course this does not apply to everyone, but I think a lot of what we do that we should not do has a lot to do with stress. Whether that stress is job related, peer related, or just shit not going right. But the thing that gets me is some of that shit taste so fuckin bad. Anytime u ask someone, how do u drink that shit? They say, "It's an aquired taste" WTF!! Meaning that u keep drinking something that taste like shit until u just develop a taste or tolerance to it. Ah, what can u do! Just my :2cents:.

The Yousef
10-27-2005, 07:03 PM
hell...if you really look around you (advertisements, movies, social occasions) alcohol is always present....it's intertwined with American/Western society...

HyPer50
10-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Ummm when did I start drinking on a pretty regular occasion? 21. I smoked weed up until then (and still do occasionally). As for why.... I just enjoy being fucked up sometimes, I dont like always thinking clearly... sometimes I just want to get messed up and have fun. I'm not one of the type of folks that drink "socially" because I really do not like drinking... can't stand the taste (dont get me wrong... I can down shot after shot no problem... but doesn't mean I like it) I just do it for the end result. Me fucked up lol... Legally too haha

Schugg
10-27-2005, 09:34 PM
to get drunk, why else?

Schugg
10-27-2005, 09:35 PM
It depends, this question can be answered in many different ways. People generally drink to relax, run away from problems, or to have a good time. Young people under 21 sometimes begin to drink, because it's the "thing" to do to be cool or whatever. So basically it starts there. Of course this does not apply to everyone, but I think a lot of what we do that we should not do has a lot to do with stress. Whether that stress is job related, peer related, or just shit not going right. But the thing that gets me is some of that shit taste so fuckin bad. Anytime u ask someone, how do u drink that shit? They say, "It's an aquired taste" WTF!! Meaning that u keep drinking something that taste like shit until u just develop a taste or tolerance to it. Ah, what can u do! Just my :2cents:.

yah when i first started drinking, i was like man this isnt fucking worth it! but i kept trying and beers ok now, but stuff like golden grain and everclear, i chringe just thinking of it. unless its mixed its horrible.

Nittanys1
10-27-2005, 09:50 PM
I drink to get a buz......i drink to much IMO but hey its better than what i use to do....shit im drunk right now....ohh and no work for me tomorrow so its kinda like a friday with football for me :D

HyPer50
10-27-2005, 10:47 PM
shit im drunk right now....ohh and no work for me tomorrow so its kinda like a friday with football for me :D

haha same, was drinking and watching the Va. Tech vs. Boston College game lol

wes_297
10-27-2005, 11:46 PM
i used to drink like once or twice a month and smoked weed ALL THE TIME. i quit smoking about a month b4 i turned 21 but, i turned 21 i started drinking like every 2 or three days. not alwaya getting drunk. only do that on weekends.

as far as taste, i think some things actualy taste good. and some do taste like shit

Elbow
10-28-2005, 07:34 AM
I dont drink :( call me a pussy lol I have but usually dont. My ex died driving drunk so I dont want to drink.

rickgiblin
10-28-2005, 09:56 AM
im sorry to hear about your ex but to me its ok to drink... im only 20 even though, but when theres a football game on or something you get your buddies around the tv then pop open a beer or something and just sit and chat... for some reason it makes for a better time than just sitting around and doing nothing. now im not talking about getting drunk or anything, im just talking about a social drink... but when you go heavy drinking... i am strongly aganist drunk driving... its like ou hear every week about a drunk driver and some innocient (sp) person getting hurt. me personally, i will never drink and drive. id rather sleep in my car if i had too on the side of the road where i was than to drive 10 minutes home drunk. just my :2cents:

The Golden Child
10-28-2005, 10:24 AM
stress-family-life those are the reasons why ..

aaronfelipe
10-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Depression, and to fit in.

HiPSI
10-28-2005, 12:01 PM
to be one of the cool kids is why 99% of the people that start young do it. older people tend to do it as an escape or a way to forget.

personally i think it's a huge waste of money, but to each their own. i just can't stand being around drunk people because they are annoying as hell. you lose your inhibitions but also with that goes common decency. why would i want to be near someone that can't hold a conversation or even stand up on their own? some people find it funny, it makes me want to kick their teeth in 99% of the time ;).

dwnsthGABOY
10-28-2005, 01:42 PM
^^^^^ouch!! LOL!!!

Mike
10-28-2005, 01:43 PM
to get drunk, why else?

exactly!!!!

Mike
10-28-2005, 01:48 PM
to be one of the cool kids is why 99% of the people that start young do it. older people tend to do it as an escape or a way to forget.

personally i think it's a huge waste of money, but to each their own. i just can't stand being around drunk people because they are annoying as hell. you lose your inhibitions but also with that goes common decency. why would i want to be near someone that can't hold a conversation or even stand up on their own? some people find it funny, it makes me want to kick their teeth in 99% of the time ;).

being sober around drunk ppl is not very fun. bc everyone is doing stupid shit like you said falling down and not being about to hold a conversation. but if you are drunk when everyone else is then its a different story. everyone is different and if you dont drink then thats cool. i on the other hand love getting drunk and having a good time. its not so much to be cool or to fit in, bc that shit is over maybe in high school but def not now. its just something fun to do to relax and get wasted and do stupid shit. you only live once and why not have a fun time getting messed up and seeing where the night takes you! when drinking becomes violent and you depend on it then thats another story. some ppl like it others dont....

ISAtlanta300
10-28-2005, 03:08 PM
obviously, some people drink for the wrong reasons. You can either drink to get drunk or enjoy what you drink.

4dmin
10-28-2005, 03:56 PM
I DRINK B/C ITS THE COMMON CURE FOR UGLY CHICKS!!! :D

Schugg
10-28-2005, 05:32 PM

haha, but then you wake up with to many regrets (if you remember, if your lucky you wont), i couldnt drink for that reason

Undertow
10-29-2005, 08:17 AM
So people will think they look cool. Try to fit in with the crowd but, I think if people do that their just sell outs.

HEATON
10-29-2005, 10:41 AM
hell...if you really look around you (advertisements, movies, social occasions) alcohol is always present....it's intertwined with American/Western society...

Not really just Western life, its REALLY is part of life over here in Germany, Chocolates are filled with alcohol, there are ''Kiddie beers'' which is liek a rootbear with 1% alchy for the children. The legal age is 16 and beer is pretty much used in every meal, passengers in cars can drink, and the funny thing its not really a big deal here, eva since the beginning of time alcohol has been comsumed in Europe and thru-out the world.

I honestly think if the legal age was lowered FROM The START it wouldnt be as much as a hastle in the states as it is today. Bc with American culture its looked to as evil and something not to do. If we never had prohibition we wouldnt have near as many of the Gangs we have today, bc thats when the majority and the big idea of ''Gangsters'' started and well NASCAR..lol

"Only in America"

DaMaGe ZWK
10-29-2005, 02:59 PM
This is gonna go with the "why do people start smoking?" thread, just pertaining to drinking?

So when, where, why, and what got you started drinking?

To this day I drink way way way more than I should for my age, which is really "ok" with today's culture, but basically... I'm prescribed 30 mg of Adderall which I take daily for "impulse control", if you've ever taken Adderall, you know it can make you come up with great things, but it feels just like being really, insanely nervous about something for 6 hours a day. Your heart rate sky rockets, your hands shake and you focus insanely hard on whatever you choose to focus on. You can't sit still long enough to do nothing, so you do whatever you're told.

I drink becuase it's kinda like the opposite of my stupid overly prescribed prescription drug. While the adderall had me "On Edge" all day long, Alcohol being that it's a depressant relaxes me quite a bit. It's essentially the exact opposite of "adderall" and it's nice to be able to relax after a day of being ridiculously anxious all day long.
what all did you have to do to get prescribed?

DrivenMind
10-29-2005, 03:42 PM

Make sure you drink enough to keep yourself from remembering the occasion.

what all did you have to do to get prescribed?

I went through a ton of stuff...

My mom got sick of my piss poor grades in high school and starting spending tons of money on figuring out "what was wrong" with me. So I ended up seeing a therapist, a neurologist, and my normal doctor. Instead of just prescribing it like they do to most people, I took a shit ton of tests determining my IQ, and how my brain reacts to given "stimuli". From there it was basically determined that my brain wasn't producing enough of some kind of chemical and the adderall would help compensate for that. Afterwards my grades had all gone up to all A's (as opposed to Fs and Ds) and my driving calmed way down.

neontuner95
10-30-2005, 02:07 AM
some people enjoy the fact of getting drunk

Apache
12-22-2005, 12:42 PM
I started when I was a young kid w/ mini shoot of rum in my ice cream..... I still use the same rum on my ice cream today and drink it.....lol Drinking wasn't a big deal in my family... Thus, I wasn't pressured when i was in highschool back in the day....

{X}Echo419
12-22-2005, 12:51 PM

what's that supposed to mean? is that a shot?

p.s. I drink to make my g/f easier to tollerate :goodjob: