PDA

View Full Version : Any Audio competitors? I need advice on components

TSiFTW
01-22-2010, 09:07 PM
So I am getting back into SQ competing again after about 10 years. I need some advice on component sets. Back when I done it it was all MB Quart and Dynaudio. I want to step it up though and was curious if anyone on here has had experience with one or more of the following 6.5" components.

Morel Supremo
Peerless HDS
Seas Lotus or Exotic
DLS up6i
Rainbow Vanadium

ATK_Designs
01-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Morels are great warm components. The Seas are nice, lil on the high side, but they're great. I'd favor these above the others that you've listed. I've seen people switched from DLS sets to Seas and like them.

But as far as competition, it's more to just a set of components. Stage and tuning play important rolls as well. I've seen people competed with a set of Mid-end Hertz and win the competition nicely as well as a guy running a set of Seas Lotus front stage along and get placed as well.

I'm going to run my Morel Elates + independent Morel Mid range drivers as Active Front stage, Passive Center along with the Hertz HKS-165 rear fills. I thought about competing, but the new crib is taking priority so I'm going to set these up to enjoy them personally and competing when/if I want to. :cheers::cheers:

redgst97
01-23-2010, 07:25 PM
I have been to a show or 2 over the years (check the signature)...
LMK if I can assist you....

TSiFTW
01-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Morels are great warm components. The Seas are nice, lil on the high side, but they're great. I'd favor these above the others that you've listed. I've seen people switched from DLS sets to Seas and like them.

But as far as competition, it's more to just a set of components. Stage and tuning play important rolls as well. I've seen people competed with a set of Mid-end Hertz and win the competition nicely as well as a guy running a set of Seas Lotus front stage along and get placed as well.

I'm going to run my Morel Elates + independent Morel Mid range drivers as Active Front stage, Passive Center along with the Hertz HKS-165 rear fills. I thought about competing, but the new crib is taking priority so I'm going to set these up to enjoy them personally and competing when/if I want to. :cheers::cheers:

Thanks for the info. I got the imaging and tuning covered. That was kinda my specialty:D. I am just looking to get the most out of my soundstage. I always competed with a "non high end" component set cause I could not afford it back then, so I got really good at imaging and tuning. I won several single and double points events, and almost placed at Daytona running Fultron Aria pointsync 8's in the kickpanels, and US Amps. Good to hear from some people still into this. All I ever see or talk to anymore are bassheads.

redgst97
01-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Times have changed....
Lost of single seat events now. Single SEAT, not single point. Most organizations offer 1-seat judging formats, which makes things easier.

Time alignment is your friend.

I have been pretty successful with Hybrid Audio Technologies speakers over the past few years. We (American Radio) have at least 2 new cars coming out into the competition lanes for 2010. Wide band-width speakers FTW! One will features a 8/6/T setup, and the other will have a 6/4/T set-up. I use a 8/3/T configuration in my car.

TSiFTW
01-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Times have changed....
Lost of single seat events now. Single SEAT, not single point. Most organizations offer 1-seat judging formats, which makes things easier.

Time alignment is your friend.

I have been pretty successful with Hybrid Audio Technologies speakers over the past few years. We (American Radio) have at least 2 new cars coming out into the competition lanes for 2010. Wide band-width speakers FTW! One will features a 8/6/T setup, and the other will have a 6/4/T set-up. I use a 8/3/T configuration in my car.

Sending you a PM

lovinmydodge
01-26-2010, 02:07 AM
Yeah hybrid audio is the ish. Infact david Edwards was the latest sq champ. at the world finals. and he runs Hybrid Audio. Great ish.

redgst97
01-26-2010, 11:00 PM
PM replied to...

slimm
01-29-2010, 10:20 PM
So I am getting back into SQ competing again after about 10 years. I need some advice on component sets. Back when I done it it was all MB Quart and Dynaudio. I want to step it up though and was curious if anyone on here has had experience with one or more of the following 6.5" components.

Morel Supremo
Peerless HDS
Seas Lotus or Exotic
DLS up6i
Rainbow Vanadium

i dont have experience with the ones you mentioned and i didnt read any of the other posts, but i have one 4 sq comps with my infinity kappas. i have the older model kappa componets w/ the 1" tweeter. i love them. they have a decent price and sound incredible.

sina518
01-29-2010, 11:43 PM
sq comps have a lot of different classes. which do you fall into? ^^^^^^

imprtguy_94
01-30-2010, 02:16 AM
re audio brother. you wont be disappointed.

Scott P
02-02-2010, 11:49 AM
re audio brother. you wont be disappointed.

yes he will be, massively so in fact. There is a reason that no one in america competes in SQ with RE.

mikethumbs92
02-02-2010, 03:48 PM
yes he will be, massively so in fact. There is a reason that no one in america competes in SQ with RE.
i had re audio and loved it i was puttin almost 145db at my headrest in my old car

audiowiz
02-02-2010, 04:52 PM
i had re audio and loved it i was puttin almost 145db at my headrest in my old car

He's looking for SQ, not SPL. Def not RE on the SQ side....or SPL really.....

sina518
02-03-2010, 10:32 AM
i dont think people on here know the difference between sq and spl. they just think because they have something and when they sit in there car they say to themselves "damn that shit sound good" it automatically qualifies for SQ

audiowiz
02-03-2010, 11:51 AM
i dont think people on here know the difference between sq and spl. they just think because they have something and when they sit in there car they say to themselves "damn that shit sound good" it automatically qualifies for SQ

HaHa, true true. Maybe we'll change our comps to SPL and "Damn That Shit Sounds Good" competitions. Thats awesome.

redgst97
02-03-2010, 02:40 PM
guess that means Im out......

audiowiz
02-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Sorry John, dem's the brakes.....

TSiFTW
02-04-2010, 12:49 AM
LOL. Thanks for all the info guys. Oh and on the RE's umm no. I am a huge US Amps fan but not the RE stuff, not for sq anyways.

AV8ter
02-04-2010, 08:02 AM
I would look into Seas drivers.

Kevin

Member31410
02-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Like the OP, I was using MB Quart components and US Amps amps around 15 years ago. When I finally decided to upgrade my stock audio gear in my Neon last year since I've gotten tired of drag racing, I didn't know which path to take for my highs. The Hybrid Audio Clarus C61-2 seemed to the best choice for me after some research so I visited American Radio and bought me a set. Although at first I missed how bright the Quart tweeters were, I've grown to love the Clarus' tweeters now. It just sounds more natural compared to the Quarts. I did have to use the highest setting on the tweeters but toned it down with the CDA-9887. Using the mid tweeter setting and trying to brighten it up with the CDA-9887 didn't work for my ears. I'm using my 15 year old US Amps USA-442 to power the Clarus setup. I do not compete though.

Scott P
02-04-2010, 03:24 PM
I would look into Seas drivers.

Kevin

i wouldn't

rollininstyle2004
02-08-2010, 03:34 AM
Listen to John and Scott for SQ knowledge :goodjob:

audiowiz
02-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Listen to John and Scott for SQ knowledge :goodjob:

+1