PDA

View Full Version : General Chat The latest Toyota fiasco....

Doppelgänger
01-22-2010, 01:11 PM
So I see that Toyota is recalling 2.3 million cars in relation to the throttle issues. I love it. At first they were quick to blame floor mats to which I called major BS. Now they're stating this recall is because a mechanism in the gas pedal can wear out and cause it to stick. End of story, happy ending...right?

No.

I'm sure that most will believe "ok they found the fix, that's cool". Think about it....add up the facts. Many owners are reporting that their cars are just suddenly accelerating...not the car continuating to accelerate after the throttle is depressed. Not to mention the rate of acceleration doesn't add up. Take the case of the Lexus crash last year. They were reported to have been going 120+mph. Now, the amount of throttle depression to get from like 0 to 50 mph or to increase speed after slowing down for a another car to do something like turn out of your way is NOT the same amount of throttle it takes to easily exceed 100mph. Just like it only take a little bit of throttle in neutral to make the tach needle bounc off the rev limiter vs how much it would take to do that with the car in motion. Make sense? Good.

I still suspect an issue with the ECU and the throttle-by-wire system and that any recall is just to reflash the ECU with a software upgrade. I wouldn't be surprised if the replaed part that Toyota sends out also involves connecting to the ECU to make the new parts work.

It just doesn't make sense that Toyota was very quick to blame floor mats within a day of that Lexus crash and is now changing their reasoning...
http://www.11alive.com/news/news_story.aspx?storyid=140001&catid=40

NEW YORK -- Toyota is recalling 2.3 million U.S. vehicles to
correct sticking accelerator pedals, the latest in a string of
quality problems that have bedeviled the Japanese automaker.

The recall includes the 2009-2010 RAV4, the 2009-2010 Corolla,
the 2009-2010 Matrix, the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2007-2010 Camry, the 2010 Highlander, the 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010 Sequioia.

Toyota Motor Corp. spokesman Brian Lyons says the recall is due to the vehicles' pedal mechanism becoming worn and, in some cases, stuck.

The recall comes just months after Toyota issued a larger 4.2
million-vehicle recall because of pedals getting stuck due to
insecure floor mats.

5speed
01-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah I saw that last night. They didnt say what it was for sure but are going to be investigating and wait for further information. Sucks bc they make pretty good vehicles but guess every manufacture is gonna fuck up at some point. I would be royally pissed if I was going 120mph without my say so.

RUFFIAN
01-25-2010, 07:10 PM
I would be royally pissed if I was going 120mph without my say so.
to be honest, I've heard of these accidents but not once have I heard of anyone turning off the ignition.:screwy: people need to stop panicing and use their brain.:2cents:

MongolPup
01-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Or put the bitch in neutral and let the engine rev itself to death as you brake. Better it goes than you do.

Whiteboy572
01-25-2010, 08:33 PM
I work for toyota in athens, ga and they are saying there changing things by the minute so nothings final. The last i heard was replacing the gas pedal and reflashing the ECM.

Seun
01-25-2010, 09:24 PM
shits crazy, seen on the news the other night an Avalon being pulled out of a lake or pond because of the acceleration issue. Couldn't blame that one on the floor mats since it was found in the trunk.

Elbow
01-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Or put the bitch in neutral and let the engine rev itself to death as you brake. Better it goes than you do.

That yes.

Some cars don't allow simply turning the motor off while moving.

MongolPup
01-25-2010, 10:19 PM
That yes.

What happened to your Avalon? I spun a bearing. How many old people can say that?

5speed
01-26-2010, 01:23 AM
That yes.

This...
I would try it none the less, I was just saying that is a really bad problem to be dealing with on any car whether its new or old.

Doppelgänger
01-26-2010, 07:02 AM
I work for toyota in athens, ga and they are saying there changing things by the minute so nothings final. The last i heard was replacing the gas pedal and reflashing the ECM.

...and the plot thickens.

AnthonyF
01-26-2010, 07:06 AM
I never believed the floor mat excuse. Once I heard that. i called BS immediately. Most floor mats are held in with hooks but 99% of drivers don't know shit about their cars so they believe Toyota.

-Ant.

speedminded
01-26-2010, 11:02 AM
I never believed the floor mat excuse. Once I heard that. i called BS immediately. Most floor mats are held in with hooks but 99% of drivers don't know shit about their cars so they believe Toyota.

-Ant.It was never the stock floor mats that were the problem, it's the optional all-season mats that owners were putting ON TOP of the stock carpet floor mats instead of removing them first.

SandM
01-26-2010, 12:19 PM
so far, I haven't heard anything about a reflash, but to replace the gas pedal itself which is adding an extra brake override control in the pedal assembly.... but as stated before, nothing's final

Doppelgänger
02-24-2010, 04:01 PM
So I'm going to bump this because of what I suspected the issue is...and it seems to be coming true- an issue with the TBW/ECU system. I've actually been saying this for a long time on other forums and I said it the moment of that fatal Lexus crash in CA back in September...so for 6 months I've been saying it's an issue with the TBW system.

I also had a moment of insight from listening to a lady's story about her Lexus suddenly accelerating. I see a lot of people who just start yelling "oh how can you not know to turn the key off?!?!" or "I'd just throw that bich in neutral" or anything along those lines. Well, before congress, this woman was sharing her story about how her car accelerated to 100 mph...and that she put the gear selector into EVERY position..low, neutral, reverse...and nothing changed the vehicles speed. She traveled over 6 miles with no control of the acceleration/transmission. The car finally started slowing down long after she put both feet on the brake pedal and engauges the parking brake. Only after the car's speed dropped below 40mpg did the transmission go into neutral and the car came to a stop with the engine still revving.

Listen to it for yourself....it will definitely send chills down your spine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne4_OumwbZI

HypnoToad
02-24-2010, 04:12 PM
so i guess lexus has some kind of safety feature that you cant put the transmisson in "N" or "R" while moving,i guess it would be smart thing if the throttle didnt get stuck.

Doppelgänger
02-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Pretty much. It's sad that they put so many fail-safe thing into cars that they end up eating crow. It's also sad that cars these days are more in control of you then you are of them. So Toyota is afriad that a few bluehairs are going to accidentally put their car into N or R while driving so they design the software operating the transmission to deny the request rather than skipping such a feature and letting a few morons complain when they funk their cars up because they suck at operating them (these kidna people shouldn't be driving in the first place).

Fuck, according to that logic, I should be able to drive down the highway at 60mph and put my car into 2nd gear and blow it up to which I'll march my ass over to Mazda and bitch they they gave me a car that allowed me to fail and detroy the drivetrain and demand that they come up with a design that wouldn't allow people to do such dumb things :rolleyes:

HypnoToad
02-24-2010, 04:31 PM
yea,alot of this fail-safe stuff is things that should just be common sense,im not saying everyone that drives has to know the ins and out of cars.

But some stuff just blows my mind,and the reason i like driving older cars. They have less stuff to worry bout,and more stuff "I'm" in control of.

JITB
02-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Drive by wire has always been one of those ideas that has room for disaster....

if my throttle cable get stuck... its nothing a little wd-40 cant fix...lol

As much as i love technology in cars, and gadgets and features with new cars. But there are def. problems with the ecu int he toyotas, but i kow they dont want to replace them.. because it will be a very expensive fix..

but i do like how toyota is handling it, and speaking about it somewhat.. and admitting that they messed up, in the lst press conference..

2003Accord
02-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Oh fuck no.

In that video, she said right at the end: " as my husband put that car in neutral, it tried to start itself."

Thats fucked up. I will not buy a new toyota.

Crazy Asian
02-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Hyundai and Nissan is my only choice in imports. Maybe Mazda. MAYBE....

SandM
02-25-2010, 09:08 AM
From what I understand of the reflash available for the Camrys and Avalons, the reflash adds a brake override system like the hybrids already use. It enables the ECU to return the engine to an idle if it detects brake force with applied throttle. Mainly seems to be for the floor mat interference, that is still seen as an issue Mike.

EuroKid88
02-28-2010, 09:58 PM
thats not whats happening to the pedals, u should look more into it