PDA

View Full Version : Selling on Amazon & Ebay?

Nguyen128
01-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Does anyone know how this works, the fees, and just general things required to do this. Also, are there any other websites to sell things? Besides craigslist. Thanks.

Vteckidd
01-20-2010, 08:04 PM
eBay makes about 20-27% between it's listing fees , closing fees, and paypal fees.

Never used amazon

what are you trying to sell

Nguyen128
01-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Trying to increase my sales in hair care & beauty products. Figure I sell online and in my store.

Vteckidd
01-20-2010, 08:27 PM
If you have huge profit margins then eBay is fine.

But if you only make 20-25% eBay will kill you on fees and paypal and shipping and your competition will kill you.

Best thing to do is use eBay as a means to direct people to your own site where you use paypal or google checkout

Nguyen128
01-20-2010, 08:39 PM
I don't have my own website yet. That is still under construction for now. Do these fees apply on every sale, at the end of each month or what?

Vteckidd
01-20-2010, 09:14 PM
I don't have my own website yet. That is still under construction for now. Do these fees apply on every sale, at the end of each month or what?

Anytime you list an item, you are charged a fee (anywhere from .10-$15)

anytime an item sells you are charged a final value fee (anywhere from 20-30%)

then people almost always pay with paypalso that's another 3%

when I sell a $400 header I pay roughly

$45 in final value fee
$4 listing fee
3% paypal fee
shipping

I lose %30 of my profit to eBay , 15% gross sale to eBay

That's why they make a ton of moolah

uproot
01-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Amazon is easy, I've sold school books on there, and the fee isnt that much. It does however take 2 weeks after signing up before you can transfer the funds to your bank account.

Nguyen128
01-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I would see how ebay would make bank on that. I'll have to do some numbers and figure out profits. There would be less competition on ebay than amazon though.

I know there are 2 types of accounts one if you sell less than 40 items a month and one for more than that. Besides the account fee I don't think there are anymore right?

k3tsurui
01-22-2010, 12:53 PM
the thing with amazon and ebay is that the type of ppl that are looking to buy salon supplies don't depend on those sites to stock up their inventory. i don't know what you are selling but my gf is a salon owner and we tried selling stuff on ebay at one pt. i wouldn't say it wasn't a success but the profit margin is minimal and it just became somewhat of a hassle shipping odds and ends for a few bucks. i can see it working out if you sell in mass quantity, but like i said its hard to market it to the people that are looking to buy it in bulk. it might be worth a shot because the overhead is low...gL

Nguyen128
01-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I doubt there are people that would want to buy in bulk. I'm mainly selling Pureology products. Right now I am only offering the nanoworks line, which retails for around $100 in my salon for $80-90 online. The only problem is it is very hard to sell health & beauty products on amazon without having to have a premium seller membership. Thanks for the input though.

HyPer50
01-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Amazon has done pretty good for me.. I've sold alot of swords, and used to sell alot of lockpicks and "adult items" until they prohibited the sales of that. They have 2 different memberships, 1 is free, but they do a $1 surcharge on every sale (plus the normal commision), and then they have the $40 membership, which removes the surcharge and I THINK lowers the commision %. So basically if you are going to sell more than 40 items a month, you are better off with the "premium" account.

Nguyen128
01-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Yeah I actually made my first amazon sale yesterday. Where did you find it cheaper to ship with?