PDA

View Full Version : question for photographers and everyone else

blacknightteg
01-19-2010, 10:37 PM
so, i was was looking through the thread that Mr. Clean posted and i had some thoughts. Now this is no thread that is going to down or bitch and moan about me taking shitty pic's with my camera or anything. but its just a question i pose to everyone.

What makes a picture good?

the reason i ask is because when it comes to pictures, i personally believe that it up to the interpretation of the viewer rather or not that picture is in fact good. NOW, dont get me wrong. the retarded pictures that are in a parking lot, with a shitty camera and they call it a photoshoot when its just a stock car, i can totally understand. BUT, other then that, and maybe im playing captain obvious here, isnt a picture that one person sees as great/awesome/beautiful, lame/bland/over done to some one else?

just my thoughts, whats yours?

jdm eg99
01-22-2010, 11:45 AM
im still learning the ropes but a good camera+editing program that you can use ,and understand you can do a lot with .
look at the before ,and after

before
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj276/jlfspeed/cars/0556d9c7.jpg

after is my sig

Tarzanman
01-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Part of it is preference, and there's no accounting for taste...

But there are more concrete aspects as to what makes a photo good.

There are the technical aspects
-Proper exposure
-Properly focused subject
-Contrast isn't out of whack
.... etc

Its as much an art as a science. The rule of thumb I usually go by is that a good photo is interesting (which is where the person taking the picture comes in).

Even a boring everyday item like a toothbrush or pencil can be made interesting if the photo is framed/edited in a way that shows you a perspective you dont' normally see, or that is appealilng.

Similarly, you could wander into the enchanted forest and end up snapping photos of a Yeti riding a Unicorn that end up being bad because of bad choices with angles/lighting, etc.

If YOU like your photos, then keep at it. It is good to compare your pictures to other photos so that you can have a more informed context from which to judge your own work... but don't unnecessarily put stock in someone else's opinions about some pictures just because they have a bigger camera than you or have been taking photos for longer.

Even the most reknowned photographers take a lot of stinkers and boring shots.

Mr. Clean
01-22-2010, 04:13 PM
i love you, tarzan. i came to say pretty much that.