PDA

View Full Version : cleaning your egr valve

egibbs123
01-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Is there a way to clean your egr valve. I have a 97 honda civic. Getting a cel code dealing with a egr. is there any way to clean the egr valve. Trying to avoid having to replace it.

Barefoot
01-19-2010, 09:12 PM
u dont have a egr valve

Black4DrEK
01-19-2010, 09:13 PM
x2

k3tsurui
01-20-2010, 05:08 PM
if you have a HX model, then you do have an egr. if you are getting a p14xx....i forgot what the code was but it should say something along the lines of "faulty EGR"

this was a recall back in the days for the HX. if your car is under warranty (which i highly doubt), honda will fix it for free. if not, then it will cost you somewhere around 200 to diy. the egr valve does not always go bad, but is almost impossible to clean because you cannot disassemble it completely. they are like $110 bucks. The MT model uses an electric one which is a little more costly than the AT vacuum type. You should not only change out the valve but also can clean all of the support parts of the egr system such as the egr chamber plate, all of the runners inside the plate, and the hose that attaches the egr to the manifold. Change out the chamber gasket, the egr valve gasket (usually comes with the part itself), the injectors o rings + seal rings + cushion rings (because it will be taken off to access the plate), and a tube of oem honda silicon (must be sensor safe if any other brand). I use to get pay $250 dollar commission per vehicle back in the days for working on these....so imagine how much you would be paying the dealers....:D

fyi: honda have a special tool for cleaning this stuff but i guess a probe, some rags, a toothbrush(do not use wire brushes) and some carb cleaner will work just as good

egibbs123
01-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Yes the car has a stock hx motor and is throwing the egr code. Thanks for the input. trying to do everything and anything not to have to buy a new one. dont have the cash for that now.

k3tsurui
01-20-2010, 05:28 PM
try cleaning all the stuff i told you about first, without changing the egr. It may make it better. because the sensor doesn't detect a bad egr, it measures the actual flow of gases so if you just clean up the supporting parts then you are permitting better flow....kind of like porting.....if this doesn't work then you can change it out as a last resort, but i am 99.9% sure that this is your problem

egibbs123
01-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks a lot K3tsurui!

STRteg
01-20-2010, 07:42 PM
hx model has an egr system??? hm...learn something new everyday

Barefoot
01-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Yes the car has a stock hx motor nice info to know if it was in the original post.

lack of info people doesnt help at all.

k3tsurui
01-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks a lot K3tsurui!

all good. gL