PDA

View Full Version : Keeping parts off totaled car.

Sol-Badguy
01-19-2010, 07:15 AM
I only put it here to get the most traffic, I need a fast answer. Move it if you need to.

I'm sure some of you have seen my thread in the car pics section about my wreck. I'm trying to be in a position to keep my wheels and suspension, but I can't afford to buy any stock parts to put back on.

If they total it today, would be it legal to just take the wheels and suspension off, and let them drag it on the truck? Or do I absolutely have to find stock parts to swap out with?

Another idea, possibly getting towed to the shop I work at, and doing it there, and somewhat stalling to get stock parts on it?

collins
01-19-2010, 07:22 AM
the car has to have all functional parts, even if they're not functional. ie: if you have an aftermarket radio, you can literally pull it out and PLACE the factory back in and not even hook it up. just has to be there. same with everything else on teh car. you cannot leave the car with no wheels or suspension, no matter if they total it or not. when insurance totals a car, they're buying it from you because its a total loss and cannot be fixed.

bdydrpdmazda
01-19-2010, 07:22 AM
I only put it here to get the most traffic, I need a fast answer. Move it if you need to.

I'm sure some of you have seen my thread in the car pics section about my wreck. I'm trying to be in a position to keep my wheels and suspension, but I can't afford to buy any stock parts to put back on.

If they total it today, would be it legal to just take the wheels and suspension off, and let them drag it on the truck? Or do I absolutely have to find stock parts to swap out with?

Another idea, possibly getting towed to the shop I work at, and doing it there, and somewhat stalling to get stock parts on it?
call the insurance company, if it were a headlight or something it would be one thing but you wanna rip out the suspension and take the wheels, doesnt sound like it will fly to me...

Sol-Badguy
01-19-2010, 07:24 AM
That's what I figured. My big option now, is to tow it to my shop, and try to find stuff. Gyah. I hate having a near worthless car, with $1500 in wheels/coilovers..

collins
01-19-2010, 07:27 AM
That's what I figured. My big option now, is to tow it to my shop, and try to find stuff. Gyah. I hate having a near worthless car, with $1500 in wheels/coilovers..
that really sucks dude. if you can find ANY wheels with tires that fit on the car and roll, you're allowed to swap them. it just has to have wheels. suspension is a little harder because the parts aren't interchangeable as easily as wheels. good luck with it tho!

You_Wish
01-19-2010, 07:27 AM
when they took my car i took all my suspension off and went and got steelies and just put them on the car..

Sol-Badguy
01-19-2010, 07:30 AM
when they took my car i took all my suspension off and went and got steelies and just put them on the car..

So it had wheels, but no suspension? I might be able to work that.

Oh, your old Sol was at the shop next door to me yesterday. Looks weird with just the meshes on it.

collins
01-19-2010, 07:32 AM
i dont see how they'd let that fly with NO suspension. steelies sure, but i dunno about the susp. like i said, good luck.

Sol-Badguy
01-19-2010, 07:33 AM
i dont see how they'd let that fly with NO suspension. steelies sure, but i dunno about the susp. like i said, good luck.

We'll see, she'll just be slammed with stupid camber.

Wait, IA loves that.. :ninja:

You_Wish
01-19-2010, 07:33 AM
So it had wheels, but no suspension? I might be able to work that.

Oh, your old Sol was at the shop next door to me yesterday. Looks weird with just the meshes on it.

yeah only steelies no struts or springs..
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/100/l_6c81ed85aa504ed993d0cab78c94dc79.jpg

yeah he was getting a oil change or something i think..

Sol-Badguy
01-19-2010, 07:34 AM
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/100/l_6c81ed85aa504ed993d0cab78c94dc79.jpg

yeah he was getting a oil change or something i think..
He had some guy at the shop looking under the hood of it looking all confused.

I was standing there thinking I could help a hell of a lot more than him. They don't work on Hondas. :thinking:

You_Wish
01-19-2010, 07:35 AM
He had some guy at the shop looking under the hood of it looking all confused.

I was standing there thinking I could help a hell of a lot more than him. They don't work on Hondas. :thinking:

yeah the KID that has it will blow it up soon.. he tells me he races everyone and takes it to red line everytime.

EG_Ryder
01-19-2010, 07:49 AM

Thats what i would do, they dont need the suspension lol