PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods possible boost issues?

teh_mugen18
01-18-2010, 04:57 PM
What are some common things to look out for when you own and want to daily drive a boosted Honda engine? I'm kinda on the borderline right now about what to do for my next motor build... i know i want major power, and the only way to do that is FI, but a friend of mine said that all-motor is less maintenence and headache... He also told me that boosted hondas a lot of times have overheating issues, and issues with constantly leaking oil; that is, unless you put them together VERY well... IDK.

What i was gonna do is put it all together and then run an external oil cooler with a fan on it, and a Fluidyne radiator with dual fans to kinda try to go ''overkill'' on the cooling systems to prevent any issues for daily driving.

Z0_o6
01-18-2010, 04:58 PM
www.honda-tech.com

sit, read, learn.

dallasb84
01-18-2010, 06:03 PM
your friend is a idiot and your reading way too much into it......

n/a is fucking boring..... especially in a honda.....

issues with turbo honduhs usually boils down to YOUR DOING IT WRONG>>>>>

and half assed workmanship..... turboing a car takes fabrication skilss..... not mechanics...

just my thoughts

jdm>usdm
01-18-2010, 06:35 PM
n/a is fucking boring..... especially in a honda.....

Holy shit. Strongly disagree here.

issues with turbo honduhs usually boils down to YOUR DOING IT WRONG>>>>>

and half assed workmanship..... turboing a car takes fabrication skilss..... not mechanics...

just my thoughts

But I do agree with this. Good workmanship and good parts will always yield a good car. Dont half ass it! Get it tuned! And properly maintain it. You wont have any major troubles out of it.

teh_mugen18
01-18-2010, 06:40 PM
My friend is an all-motor lover though, lol.... his bias could be another reason for trying to talk me away from boosting.

and what i was going to do was buy parts, piece by piece, and then have it all assembled by either a machine shop, or import experts, mainstream, etc. just as a short block... i also still cant decide if i wanna run vtec turbo or non-vtec turbo. lol.

dallasb84
01-18-2010, 06:48 PM
sounds like you got it a figured out

scttydb411
01-18-2010, 11:55 PM
the folks that say turbo is nothing but trouble on daily either:
1. haven't done it
2. haven't done it right

my motor is bone stock and about to hit the 7 year boosted anniversary. boosted it @ 60k miles and it has 149k miles now. only thing i've had to do to it is the normal maintenance things (oil, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, tires, brakes).

if you're going to half a$$ it, n/a or boosted will give you problems.

tdurr
01-19-2010, 12:48 AM
1. haven't done it
2. haven't done it right

my motor is bone stock and about to hit the 7 year boosted anniversary. boosted it @ 60k miles and it has 149k miles now. only thing i've had to do to it is the normal maintenance things (oil, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, tires, brakes).

wut do u drive?? jw.

teh_mugen18
01-19-2010, 09:28 AM
1. haven't done it
2. haven't done it right

this is true...i have experience lol with that...

but how much boost is running through it/what power level is it at? Ill shoot you a PM, lol so i dont get this thread too far off topic...

Formally...
01-19-2010, 09:35 AM
As for a boosted honda, like everyone has said already, do it right and take care of it and you will be fine.

As for Scotty's setup, BONE STOCK d16Y7, GT25r turbo, about 12psi daily and many times 15-16psi for fun and on dyno. Have dyno graphs of 255whp (from motor that makes about 85whp stock) and I think that is all the turbo can do.

tsirider
01-19-2010, 10:23 AM
take it to mainstream theyll take care of you! They installed my turbo kit was like 750 professional job too. So yeah its very safe to run boost shit i ran for 20000 miles off someone elses tune no problems just take it to the professionals