PDA

View Full Version : Idling Problems

importking73
01-16-2010, 02:33 PM
I have a 97 civic n i just swapped a z6 motor into it! I used a conversion harness the car cranks up n it bogs for like five seconds n then it turns off so i crank it up again an it stays on but idles bad....weeeeuuuuUUUUMMM....weeeeeuuuuUUUUUM and over and over and as the car heats up my temperature gauge is still cold but the idling slows down...it idles good but after like 10 seconds it starts accelerating again doing the weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUMMMMM MM n does it slow again...any ideas what it could be....i cleaned up the idle air control valve but nothing....i remember we changed the throttle body cuz the other one had a sensor that when we unplugged it the car didnt turn off n it was suppose to so we changed it but the gasket on the throttle body was chipped off in a corner could that be causing the problem? N when i started driving it it runs good if i dont step on it bt if i step on it, it starts bogging out n not goin nowhere....Any help or information on things i might need to change would be appreciated! THANX I.A.

envision
01-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Do you have the map and TPS plugs mixed up on the throttle body?

Killer
01-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Fast idle thermo valve...

look it up....

it's needs to be tightened...

envision
01-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Fast idle thermo valve...

look it up....

it's needs to be tightened...

That wouldnt make the car bog down under accleration by itself.

importking73
01-19-2010, 03:44 PM
yea i figured that....bogging down would be injectors or spark plugs or what do u think would cause it to do that??

Killer
01-20-2010, 04:22 PM
your problem sounds EXACTLY like the problem i had with my hatch with my b18.. plus i know of numerous other people who've had it.. this always fixed there problem..

for about 10 min worth of work it's prolly worth a try.. EVERYONE always told me it was the idle air control valve i replaced mine twice trying to fix the problem..

if it's not the FITV then idk what it is.. but i think it'd be worth a few minutes at least to see if that could be the problem.

CaTcH22
01-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Do you have the map and TPS plugs mixed up on the throttle body?
Probably this.

DB4LYFE ™
01-21-2010, 12:03 AM
Fast idle valve ralph! right under the TB!

~DB4LYFE

Killer
01-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Fast idle valve ralph! right under the TB!

~DB4LYFE

agreed.

Arm&hammer
01-21-2010, 11:04 AM
every single honda i bought had this problem all i did was leave the car running and on the idle air control valve there is a 5 point allen key, turn this i think counter clockwise and the idle should start dropping and return to normal i always do this and all my friends do this and it works great and permanent

preferredduck
01-22-2010, 12:26 AM
if the car is cold i would look at the fast idle thermo valve, there is a plunger in there that controls the airflow into the engine until it heats up, and then it uses the MAP and TPS for the readings on the ECU. when cold the car is in a closed loop mode and the thermo valve is there for this reason also i think the MAP or TPS sensor may need to be reset or calibrated which there are write ups for this along with the thermo valve. From what it sounds like check the valve first since it seems to do it when it's old. i had a problem with a y8 in a 95 civic like this and we had to use the right valve for correct airflow.