PDA

View Full Version : easiest way to take off crank pulley bolt?

toonz
01-15-2010, 07:01 AM
Yea without an air impact?

tank500999
01-15-2010, 08:27 AM
http://www.denlorstools.com/shop/images/Powerbuilt_646796_LG.jpg
with one of those

99jdmLs
01-15-2010, 09:10 AM
with one of those

X2, i cant ever get them to come off with a impact gun.

NJSC
01-15-2010, 09:23 AM
I've heard of people bumping the ignition with a wrench on it, but I've never had the guts to do it like that. You can also use a strap wrench which are like 5$ at advanced auto. Takes some grunting and sweat, but just use a breaker bar or something and you should be able to get her off.

punkr6
01-15-2010, 09:26 AM
1/2 in socket wrench, socket and a hammer....

CeOTiO8
01-15-2010, 09:26 AM
I've heard of people bumping the ignition with a wrench on it, but I've never had the guts to do it like that. You can also use a strap wrench which are like 5$ at advanced auto. Takes some grunting and sweat, but just use a breaker bar or something and you should be able to get her off.

X2 that's what I do.... Just put it on with the rachet touching the ground then keep tapping the key:goodjob:

Total_Blender
01-15-2010, 09:34 AM
In a worst-case scenario you can take the oil pan off and wedge a block of wood between one of the counterweights on the crank and the block to keep it from spinning.

But putting a breaker bar on and tapping it with a hammer usually gets the job done. I wouldn't use a ratchet because you could strip the ratchet's gear out by beating on it. And a breaker bar is more solid and transfers the force of the hammer impact better. Don't forget to spray it with PB Blaster first, that will help too.

Barefoot
01-15-2010, 06:25 PM
with one of thoseideal

X2, i cant ever get them to come off with a impact gun.ive never got it off with an impact either other than a 3/4 impact.

I've heard of people bumping the ignition with a wrench on it, but I've never had the guts to do it like that. You can also use a strap wrench which are like 5$ at advanced auto. Takes some grunting and sweat, but just use a breaker bar or something and you should be able to get her off.the bump thing is garage. a strap wrench from autozone isnt going to hold up. a snap on or any other 24" chain wrench it will work.

In a worst-case scenario you can take the oil pan off and wedge a block of wood between one of the counterweights on the crank and the block to keep it from spinning.

But putting a breaker bar on and tapping it with a hammer usually gets the job done. I wouldn't use a ratchet because you could strip the ratchet's gear out by beating on it. And a breaker bar is more solid and transfers the force of the hammer impact better. Don't forget to spray it with PB Blaster first, that will help too.thats a lot of extra work.

Starrfire
01-15-2010, 06:56 PM
with one of those

x2, I have one and its really important, also with re-torquing it back on.

chriskm
01-15-2010, 07:32 PM
I've bumped mine off plenty of times. Just put a breaker bar and socket on the bolt, then wedge it in your suspension arm or something. Turn the ignition, and you'll hear it pop.
I always think I broke something from the sound of it, but it never causes harm.

Slomaro Z28
01-15-2010, 08:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE-pzP8g_x4

From the looks of it, it IS rocket science.

PURP
01-15-2010, 08:16 PM
1/2 in socket wrench, socket and a hammer....

this...

IntegraXTR
01-15-2010, 09:14 PM
I use my snap-on 3/8 cordless impact and it works every single time.

antj101
01-15-2010, 09:15 PM

me and my brother just did this earlier tonight with his probe

NJSC
01-15-2010, 09:24 PM
I've done it with a strap wrench from autozone, or maybe it was from O'Riley's

eraser4g63
01-15-2010, 09:37 PM
ignition bump works well.

SLR
01-15-2010, 10:06 PM
My pulley had holes in it. Stuck two long bolts through with a nut... wedged a crowbar between the two bolts and turned the motor so the bar went into the ground. Then I went at it with extensions and a 6 foot bar.

I need to get one of those specialty pieces up above. Always wanted/meant to get one.

Barefoot
01-15-2010, 10:13 PM
I use my snap-on 3/8 cordless impact and it works every single time.
calling bs on that i have the newest 1 from snap on and out of the box on a full battery it wont do it.

JDMGRNAV6
01-16-2010, 12:49 AM
calling bs on that i have the newest 1 from snap on and out of the box on a full battery it wont do it.

x2 on that fo show...

toss a flathead in on the flywheel and breaker bar on the nut, bus that shittt off

dallasb84
01-16-2010, 04:19 AM
um..... i lock up the motor with oil and use a breaker bar.....

just saying.....

i tried the whole pin the cam...... well i ended up breaking the cam gear on a d16y8.....

but i welded it back and it worked fine...

but ive never had a problem locking the motor up.... taking a plug out and pouring a small amount of oil in it....then putting the plug back in..... turb by hand till it locks... then pop. break the pulley bolt

dallasb84
01-16-2010, 04:20 AM
ive also over torqued the pulley bolt.... and snapped it in the crank......

turned out with a knife tho

Starrfire
01-16-2010, 07:54 AM
I would say, buy the $40 tool. It will save you a lot of bullshit time and effort. Just have to have a couple of breaker bars to use as well as a small extension and the correct socket. Works every time, even on h22's with their mongoloid crank bolts.

98blackcivic
01-16-2010, 08:33 AM
YEAA WE HAD TO DO THIS, IT WAS SOO FUCKING HARD WE GAVE UP
we used close to 200 psi with the impact gun, that tool from the 2nd post and all kinds of shit..verrry tough we had to give up

Jrh1992
01-16-2010, 08:38 AM
There is usually a slot on the block behind the pulley for you to wedge something to keep it from moving.

k3tsurui
01-17-2010, 04:16 AM
you can't go wrong with the crankshaft damper tool...it is what it's made for. The only purpose it have in life is to alleviate your ability to remove crank bolts. I got my from amazon and some of the sellers will get it to you in a day or 2