PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods block guard or not

rastaintegra
01-14-2010, 11:48 PM
Hey i know u guys had heard this question countless of times, but i need to know. Is a block guard worth using. I have read magazines where people had use block guards and running 17 psi of boost. On my setup i have 8.5:1 compression srp pistons and eagle rods plus the crank have been balance. On the top end kms performance double valve springs and titanium retainer, also crower stage 2 turbo cams with adjustable camgears. But right now i am still trying to find out what intake manifold should i use. Because with this setup i am trying to about at least 310-320 whp. But i want to know is using a block guard good for a insurance purpose right now until i can get the nlock sleeved. Or should i run the stock block with areally good tune.

all-mota
01-15-2010, 12:41 AM
either one is ok but if you run the block guard make sure that after you install it you bore the cly's because pressing them in can make the cly egg shaped

dallasb84
01-15-2010, 01:31 AM
no its not the pressure from distorting the sleeve by beating it in, its the heat......

all the cylinder pressure and heat is generated from the combustion chamber..... piston at tdc and head (squish area) is what fucks this up

on the down stroke the piston is surrounded by water jacket so imagine that your sleeve is really hot at the top and cooler in the middle...

now add the block guard which now will not allow the sleeve to expand like normal how minimal it is.... so the sleeve will taper in....keep in mind..... the aluminum deck guard also hinders the coolants ability to cool the sleeve.

the egg shape is formed by both an improperly installed deck guard and thermal expansion.....

but..... there are horror stories from properly installed ones as well as hammer ins...

my opinion fuck it..... 350 hp isnt really pushing a factory sleeve too much any way.

when i built my motor i researched the blox deck guard and well...... i havent needed it yet. lol

Formally...
01-15-2010, 07:41 AM
either one is ok but if you run the block guard make sure that after you install it you bore the cly's because pressing them in can make the cly egg shaped

VERY GOOD INFO. You ALWAYS want to put in the block guard first.

For the power you want to make I say no you don't need one. I believe block guards are just there to get you home. I have seen many motors (one only a few months ago) that had block guards and still cracked sleeves. However, each time the car was still running just not very well. I have seen motors without block guards (have a k24 here now with blown sleeves) and once the sleeve cracks the car will not run anymore.

I believe if motor is built right then you will be fine without one.

98blackcivic
01-15-2010, 12:13 PM
welll that clears up all the questions i had about block guard...wait..is a block guard and brace the same thing?

jcs
01-17-2010, 09:21 PM
no i belive that is called posting the sleeves

SPOOLIN
01-17-2010, 09:51 PM
put the guard in, if the sleeves go, it will definitely cut down on damages if its kept contained. It doesn't affect cooling no more than the headgasket itself and its cheap!

if you want to get fancy, these guys have the king of blockguards

http://www.turbooptions.com/cncdesign/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=13

punkr6
01-17-2010, 09:54 PM
put the guard in, if the sleeves go, it will definitely cut down on damages if its kept contained. It doesn't affect cooling no more than the headgasket itself and its cheap!

if you want to get fancy, these guys have the king of blockguards

http://www.turbooptions.com/cncdesign/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=13

THiS...