PDA

View Full Version : Nexus One

umairejaz
01-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Ordered it today, should be here tomorrow. I am excited to play with it. I don't think I will be too impressed but it should still be fun!

The way they are selling the phone is probably the only most profound thing about it. Sold outright with no disconts. Only one limited contract option available and all phones sold unlocked!

http://www.google.com/phone

http://www.iphonestalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/nexusone-phone.jpg

G.C
01-12-2010, 10:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6UL9uUxwEU

I will get the nexus one over the 3gs anyday. Let us know how the phone goes.

imbosile
01-12-2010, 10:31 PM
With all of the mixed reviews I've seen online, I'm curious to hear how it really is from someone who owns one.

umairejaz
01-12-2010, 10:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6UL9uUxwEU

^FTW Rep'd

umairejaz
01-12-2010, 10:36 PM
With all of the mixed reviews I've seen online, I'm curious to hear how it really is from someone who owns one.

I'm actually going from a MyTouch 3G so I don't think it will a night and day difference.

ffxf50
01-12-2010, 10:38 PM
It looks really nice, I probably wouldn't even take that phone out of my pocket to use, cause it might fall out of my hand...haha

but hope you like it.

cjhutch
01-13-2010, 10:08 AM
A guy I work with has one. So far he is very unimpressed. Not only that I read if you cancel after 14 days you owe Google $350 and T-Mobile $200 for cancellation. Apparently there are some serious issues with the 3G on the phone and also no multi-touch for U.S. models. I think the best part of the phone is the processor. If Nokia could get their act together I would buy a N900, but it looks like I'm going to buy a Pre since I'm already with Sprint. 3D Gaming and Flash= Happy time.

BTW, that Kip Kay guy has come a long way from making DIY videos to now reviewing gadgets.

mmmmpsi
01-13-2010, 10:15 AM
I like the look of the screen and the processor is rock solid but other than that it sounds like it's got a lot of issues and is very expensive so I'm going to stay away and keep with my iPhone. :)

Buttons
01-13-2010, 11:09 AM
it's supposed to be with verizon sometime in the spring. i'm excited.

man
01-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Looks like a pretty cool phone, and good price. I wouldn't mind picking one of these up when they come to verizon. But I may wait for the Nexus Two.

Elbow
01-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Is it a phone or an MP3 player?

ARH1192
01-13-2010, 03:13 PM
A guy I work with has one. So far he is very unimpressed. Not only that I read if you cancel after 14 days you owe Google $350 and T-Mobile $200 for cancellation. Apparently there are some serious issues with the 3G on the phone and also no multi-touch for U.S. models. I think the best part of the phone is the processor. If Nokia could get their act together I would buy a N900, but it looks like I'm going to buy a Pre since I'm already with Sprint. 3D Gaming and Flash= Happy time.

BTW, that Kip Kay guy has come a long way from making DIY videos to now reviewing gadgets.

I just sold my Pre and got a HTC Hero. Much happier with the Hero.

man
01-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Not only that I read if you cancel after 14 days you owe Google $350 and T-Mobile $200 for cancellation. Apparently there are some serious issues with the 3G on the phone and also no multi-touch for U.S. models.

Why is the early cancellation fee an issue? It keeps people from buying these factory-unlocked phones for $180 and turning around to sell them for $450+. Apple/ AT&T have a similar operation but they are able to get away with charging less, due to the fact that the iPhone is AT&T only.

And there is multi-touch on the US version.

umairejaz
01-13-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm in love!! The processor is the best part!!

cjhutch
01-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Why is the early cancellation fee an issue? It keeps people from buying these factory-unlocked phones for $180 and turning around to sell them for $450+. Apple/ AT&T have a similar operation but they are able to get away with charging less, due to the fact that the iPhone is AT&T only.

And there is multi-touch on the US version.

To the first portion, the early cancellation fee is a problem because Google is also charging a cancellation fee as well as T-Mobile. Now the reason carriers charge a cancellation fee is supposedly to recoup the charges of subsidizing a phone. Now if Google is also charging to cancel then that means one of them is getting over on the consumer. They sale the phone for $530 unlocked and off contract. So you take the $350 Google charges, the $200 T-Mobile charges and the initial charge of $189 to buy the phone on contract and you just paid more for the phone than it's worth.

Apparently the Google charge for cancellation goes away after 4 months of having the phone on contract, but depending on your needs that may be too long to wait for some. I know how the cell phone carriers work to keep you under contract past that 14 day period. T-Mobile is doing it right now with customers who are having problems with their Nexus One. First they will swap out your phone, then they will say they need a few days to check the signal in your area, after that they will say there is an update coming that will fix the problem. Before you know two weeks have passed and you are screwed.

According to websites and something I saw in person the phone does not have multitouch in the U.S., but it does have it in Europe. Look at the article here.

http://www.androidcentral.com/european-nexus-one-will-have-multitouch