PDA

View Full Version : I need a marketing-esque job...

GAtegs
01-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Hi ladies and germs...just checking to see if anyone may know of a possible opening for me. I live in Dacula, GA, but I am willing to drive...I will even relocate for the right opportunity.

I graduated from Georgia State at the end of '07 with a bachelors of business administration with a major in marketing...this aligns me with a position in sales and marketing.

After graduating, I took a job at a Chevy dealer as the inventory coordinator...the problem with that is that it was a commission based job and when the dealer stopped buying cars, I stopped getting paid. I am now at the point in my life that I want to make use of this degree that I am still paying for.

Long story short: I am looking for an entry level position with a company that recognizes abilities/skills and promotes from within. I don't mind working for peanuts in the beginning as long as I know that there is opportunity for advancement within the company.

If any of you know of anything, please let me know...money is starting to make itself more and more scarce.

aguynamedpat
01-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Bump for a great dude. Good luck CJ. If I hear of anything in this area, I will shoot you a PM or send you a message on AIM.

I know what you mean about having no money, I havent had a job in a long time man. Its really tough.

GAtegs
01-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks, Pat.

aguynamedpat
01-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Know of anyone hiring for anything? You know, stuff that is below your pedigree of course :goodjob:

GAtegs
01-12-2010, 12:58 PM
LOL...nope. Sorry.

aguynamedpat
01-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Not sure what exactly you are looking for, buttt...

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mar/1549453396.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/sls/1549366221.html

AirMax95
01-12-2010, 03:04 PM
PM sent.

GAtegs
01-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks, doot.

GAtegs
01-12-2010, 03:06 PM
PM sent.

Y tu.

aguynamedpat
01-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Im looking on CL now for jobs, so I will post every job I come across that I feel you would be interested in CJ.

aguynamedpat
01-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Not sure about this one....

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/sls/1548816918.html

GAtegs
01-12-2010, 03:17 PM
I appreciate that man, but I am not hopeful...

In my recent experience, legitimate/good jobs do not really make it to websites because I think there are so many people out of work that when a job becomes available, I think that anyone who knows about it also knows someone who needs a job. I also think that a lot of the jobs you find on job boards might very well have been real at one point, but I think that the boards themselves (monster, jobs.com, etc.) leave them active just to get your information.

If you haven't checked it out yet, take a look at indeed.com...it appears to be a very cheap, somewhat disorganized site, but it does an excellent job of compiling listings from a number of well known job sites.

GAtegs
01-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Not sure about this one....

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/sls/1548816918.html

LOL...that's the company I just left :-)

aguynamedpat
01-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Thats what I figured. Ive used Indeed, Snagajob, Craigslist, AJCjobs, all that.

Ive pretty much given up on all that and just tried talking to people I know. Its all about who you know right now.

Good luck man, its tough.

BanginJimmy
01-12-2010, 05:51 PM
If you have any purchasing experience check out Lockheed Martin.

Verik
01-12-2010, 08:00 PM
use robinson career connect. for fuck sake its not that hard to use career services at gsu.

aguynamedpat
01-12-2010, 08:08 PM
use robinson career connect. for fuck sake its not that hard to use career services at gsu.

And please give the reason you are being a dick? Many University's career services departments are garbage. My buddy's long time friend graduated from Emory last year, and he had to take a job at $8.50 an hour because he couldnt find anything?

Verik
01-12-2010, 08:14 PM
And please give the reason you are being a dick? Many University's career services departments are garbage. My buddy's long time friend graduated from Emory last year, and he had to take a job at $8.50 an hour because he couldnt find anything?

because RCC is actually one of the more well connected and established business career centers in ga. It's not that fucking hard to show up for a job fair with a suit and resume is it? Maybe you guys grew up being spoon-fed shit like this, but its pathetic to graduate college and expect someone to FIND you and GIVE you a job. My reason for being a dick? Because he may have graduated college but he acts like a 16 year old looking for job in high school.... Asking all his friends... "hey do you know where is hiring?". I'm not against word of mouth for job referrals but to shun the traditional methods of seeking employment (career centers, job fairs, etc) is a gross display of ignorance.

GAtegs
01-12-2010, 08:39 PM
I have considered that option in the past, the problem I had with the situation is that in order to use the services, you are required to pay for Alumni association membership, something I couldn't justify doing knowing that I am still paying off thousands of dollars of student loans and have nothing to show for it...not even an alumni association membership.

But maybe you are right, maybe I should bite the bullet, give in, and pay the money...

Your attitude, however, is completely uncalled for and unnecessary.

aguynamedpat
01-12-2010, 08:41 PM
because RCC is actually one of the more well connected and established business career centers in ga. It's not that fucking hard to show up for a job fair with a suit and resume is it? Maybe you guys grew up being spoon-fed shit like this, but its pathetic to graduate college and expect someone to FIND you and GIVE you a job. My reason for being a dick? Because he may have graduated college but he acts like a 16 year old looking for job in high school.... Asking all his friends... "hey do you know where is hiring?". I'm not against word of mouth for job referrals but to shun the traditional methods of seeking employment (career centers, job fairs, etc) is a gross display of ignorance.

How do you know he (or I) has not done that? How do you know he hasnt hit a job fair a week since he has been looking? CJ is not one to have shit spoon fed to him. Why dont you shut your cock sucker because you dont know the people you are talking about?

I didnt know Craigslist, AJCJobs, Yahoo! Jobs, and other websites (LIKE THIS ONE) were not valid places to find a job? Last time I checked, people posted jobs they found IN THE WALLSTREET section to help out their fellow board members. Well guess what, this is the WALLSTREET section, so if you dont like what goes on in here, kindfully press the back button, or the red "X" in the top right of this screen, and move on to another forum.

WALLSTREET Business, Jobs, News, & Politics.

Greddypacked
01-13-2010, 09:59 AM

Your post is naive and pointless. It's smart to ask people you know for jobs or if they heard of one's, wtf are you talking about. I have been to job fairs and what not and usually its hundred of people dressed in nice suits that have a folder of resumes at hand. You go in try to impress show a resume and you get the luck of the draw. If you know people and they have openings and your good at the job it will get you to work faster than what your stating.

Verik
01-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Your post is naive and pointless. It's smart to ask people you know for jobs or if they heard of one's, wtf are you talking about. I have been to job fairs and what not and usually its hundred of people dressed in nice suits that have a folder of resumes at hand. You go in try to impress show a resume and you get the luck of the draw. If you know people and they have openings and your good at the job it will get you to work faster than what your stating.

Right, since I condemned word of mouth job seeking. :rolleyes:/sarcasm Reading wasn't your strong suit in school was it? I was on his case for shunning the traditional means of looking for a job and immediately jumping to just asking blindly on a forums for someone who knows of something. PS, you don't get the luck of the draw if you have any clue as to what you're doing. Try making impressions. The ones that stick in the minds of the recruiter are the ones that are getting the job. You dont go in blind either, you research which companies will be there and what they will be offering. You research what the company's mission is and have prior knowledge regarding their operations. If you cant hold an impressionable conversation for 5 minutes knowing that information, you need to ask your friend's to help you work on your personality.

How do you know he (or I) has not done that? How do you know he hasnt hit a job fair a week since he has been looking? CJ is not one to have shit spoon fed to him. Why dont you shut your cock sucker because you dont know the people you are talking about?

Ummm because he admitted he hasn't. GG, you can stop swinging from his nuts now. The constructive criticism (although masked in a bit of insensitivity) wasn't even aimed at you and you are getting butt hurt for the op. He atleast could look past it and see there was actual insight in the posts.

I didnt know Craigslist, AJCJobs, Yahoo! Jobs, and other websites (LIKE THIS ONE) were not valid places to find a job?

Never refuted any of those. You are putting words in my mouth at this point.

Last time I checked, people posted jobs they found IN THE WALLSTREET section to help out their fellow board members.

Is he posting jobs he found? No. So the relevance of this sentance is nil.

Well guess what, this is the WALLSTREET section, so if you dont like what goes on in here, kindfully press the back button, or the red "X" in the top right of this screen, and move on to another forum.

I'm well aware what section this is. Beyond the attitude of the post there was constructive input in my comments to the OP.

I have considered that option in the past, the problem I had with the situation is that in order to use the services, you are required to pay for Alumni association membership, something I couldn't justify doing knowing that I am still paying off thousands of dollars of student loans and have nothing to show for it...not even an alumni association membership.

But maybe you are right, maybe I should bite the bullet, give in, and pay the money...

Your attitude, however, is completely uncalled for and unnecessary.

I may have been unnecessarily sharp with my words but my point still stands. I dont believe shunning any means of looking for a job is wise or intelligent. Simply prioritize your time for what is most efficient with your search. I don't think paying 35$ and sacrificing 3 hours on a saturday to go to a job fair is all that big in the scheme of things especially considering the opportunity to meet people from companies that will get you into a career rather than a job.

alumni registration fees

https://netcommunity.gsu.edu/NetCommunity/SSLPage.aspx?pid=252&srcid=251

check back on the link below... they will post employer information of those that have registered along with the positions that they have available as it gets closer to the fair date.

http://robinson.gsu.edu/career/expo/index.html

Just food for thought.

Greddypacked
01-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Right, since I condemned word of mouth job seeking. :rolleyes:/sarcasm Reading wasn't your strong suit in school was it?

LOL you naive lil internet talking punk. My reading skills are above average even towards your adequate posts... (going to medical school and passed so high on my core classes I went directly to my major) THANKYOU SO F>CKING VERY MUCH. You think your smart lol... I'll throw a medical book at you and some tests and you wouldnt understand THE F>CKING FOURTH LANGUAGE IT SPEAKS LOL. Stick to your job seeking skills and give worthless suggestions that people will ignore, because obviously your throwing out insults to people helping each other OUT THAT YOU KNOW NOTHING THE ABOUT.

Oh and referring your lame expressions... I was expressing how you made fun of the guy and saying as if he was a 16 yr. old in HS. asking for if anyone was hiring. I know people that have gotten jobs making 80k a year just by knowing a friend that helped w/ a job. So your expressing your own opinions that give no facts on to how it can turn out for anyone else besides your own experiences. SO like I said, your insults are irrelevant to the topics being discussed and your just rambling out your ASS. :lmfao:

Verik
01-13-2010, 07:13 PM
LOL you naive lil internet talking punk. My reading skills are above average even towards your adequate posts... (going to medical school and passed so high on my core classes I went directly to my major) THANKYOU SO F>CKING VERY MUCH. You think your smart lol... I'll throw a medical book at you and some tests and you wouldnt understand THE F>CKING FOURTH LANGUAGE IT SPEAKS LOL. Stick to your job seeking skills and give worthless suggestions that people will ignore, because obviously your throwing out insults to people helping each other OUT THAT YOU KNOW NOTHING THE ABOUT.

Post up your acceptance letter, lol like that will ever come. Until then I'll reside with waiting and laughing at the thought that you think medical school is this pussy on a pedestal and going around saying you are going to one before you have applied or even taken the mcats. Probably end up settling for becoming a PA like most of your types do (that is, if you even make post-grad).

Oh and referring your lame expressions... I was expressing how you made fun of the guy and saying as if he was a 16 yr. old in HS. asking for if anyone was hiring. I know people that have gotten jobs making 80k a year just by knowing a friend that helped w/ a job.

For the 3rd god damn time (you really are illiterate aren't you?), I never condemned word of mouth job seeking. The 16 year old comment was in regards to how he was asking for a job. I believe theres a more professional manner of going about asking for a job, but then again this is IA and if he got a job from here I doubt it'd end up being his career rather than a stepping stone. The next time someone comes on here, literally with no resume, and asks "anyone know who's hiring?" and gets an 80k job, I'll retract my opinion. Until then, you can stop talking.

So your expressing your own opinions that give no facts on to how it can turn out for anyone else besides your own experiences. SO like I said, your insults are irrelevant to the topics being discussed and your just rambling out your ASS. :lmfao:

lol, Each one of my posts have provided constructive criticism (with the exception to this one as I believe advice regarding the topic of looking for a job has already been pretty well covered). Hypocritically, you called me out on being irrelevant and yet you are the only one in this thread that hasn't provided anything to the OP. Unless you want to contribute something (like a word of mouth job that makes 80k lmao) or advice on how to seek jobs, you should see yourself out of this thread and stop cluttering it up with useless banter.

Greddypacked
01-13-2010, 09:09 PM
:lmfao: Verik your a tool, but thanks for the laugh. Dont waste more of your time on the matter. It really sounds like your just getting your lengerie in a bind.