PDA

View Full Version : Old School insurance?

itr19
01-11-2010, 01:41 PM
What are you guys doing for insurance for your old school cars? I have my '69 Camaro insured through Hagerty, and they're pretty awesome. And really cheap. I pay $165 per year for full coverage with a $15K agreed value for that car, and get to drive and enjoy it regularly without having to log mileage.

I added my '82 Prelude to my policy online over the weekend, and got a call today from some snotty bitch at Hagerty telling me that "we at Hagerty insure collector cars, not old cars. The 1982 Honda Prelude is just an old car."

Shame. It would have only increased my annual premium by $48 with a $3500 agreed value.

I just added the car to my GEICO policy for $21/mo for full coverage. Problem there is if something happens, I'll get squat for the car. Try to put a value on nostalgia. :no:

It is just an "old car..."

Total_Blender
01-11-2010, 02:10 PM
I talked to Haggerty about their insurance for my '62 Falcon and from the way they made it sound, you're only covered if you're driving to/from a car show and you can only go like 25 miles from where the car is registered. And you have to keep the car in a locked garage and :blah:

They basically made it sound like their insurance would cover the car as long as its sitting under a car cover in a locked garage and I'm not driving it anywhere. Which is probably why that insurance is so cheap... the stipulations take all the risk out of it for the company.

The best you can do is get geico or whatever and talk with an agent about having a full-coverage policy with an agreed upon value. Which would be highly suspicious to them, as the average customer with an '82 model vehicle only carries liability, and since theres pretty much no fixing an '82 Prelude (where would a shop get parts?) they would have to give you the $$. They might see it as a higher risk for fraud.

If they agree to it, you'll end up paying more, but should something happen to the car you might be able to recover some of the sentimental value.

quickdodgeŽ
01-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Mine is just on my regular insurance. It's about $8 extra a month. Later, QD.

whtdc2
01-12-2010, 08:23 AM
i think a pay something like 45 a month for full coverage. on a stated value of 4500 at state farm. they are raping me.

bimmergirrl
01-12-2010, 11:44 AM
im 19 and pay 75 a month for six months for a 68 beetle? Somethings wrong? lol

dragoncelica
01-12-2010, 01:08 PM
That is the price of having ol school imports, it is like trowing your money away in the trash can, thats why i am going to sell all my crap and start a new project wih an american nostalgic car, at least i'll get my money back with a lot of profit if i deside to sell, or if i insured with one of those collector car insurance companys i can get real money back, and depending on the car parts available tru Year One or Paddock,

Te Veo LOLA!

bimmergirrl
01-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Oh really. I didnt know that. That sucks haha

Glides
01-12-2010, 03:41 PM
I took mine off my insurance. I never drive it and there was no need. I just insure mine regularly when I drive them. Not worth doing anything more.