PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors how to fly with a gun

SPOOLIN
01-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Im about to go on a trip where i would rather have a firearm on me. I know you can fly with a gun in checked luggage, anyone here done this and what kinda of container is needed. Is the hard plastic box that a gun is sold with good enough with a lock on it to pass their specifications?

tony
01-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Regulations say a hard sided containted so I'd say the plastic box is sufficient with a lock on it.

SPOOLIN
01-11-2010, 10:45 AM
yeah im thinking that too but what about bullets, its rather unclear on how i can carry them. I says you can put them in the container too, but im still unclear on that...in a magazine sufficient insdie of the locked gun container? Of course this is if i even get my permit in time because im sure i cant do any of this without a FA permit right?

nsany(atl)
01-11-2010, 11:38 AM
you better have a permit for where ever you are going to also

tony
01-11-2010, 11:45 AM
yeah im thinking that too but what about bullets, its rather unclear on how i can carry them. I says you can put them in the container too, but im still unclear on that...in a magazine sufficient insdie of the locked gun container? Of course this is if i even get my permit in time because im sure i cant do any of this without a FA permit right?

Yeah the clip can be in the container as well.

BLK JDM
01-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah don't worry about getting a license for here. Worry about getting a permit for the state you're going to. Even if you have a license for here that doesn't mean shit where you're going.

EJdm
01-11-2010, 12:24 PM
yup just a permit, have a case for it and im sure you'll be fine...my brother went to new york and didnt realize he had his .45 in the baggage in till he got to his hotel...no problems

Truegiant
01-11-2010, 02:28 PM
A GA CCL/GAFL is recognized by like 15 or so other states. REGS State you can carry ammo in the same locked case as a firearm; however, everytime I have flown I always seperate the two. You can ship ammo in an unlocked luggage bag.

http://www.ok.gov/cleet/documents/airplane%20faq.pdf

Here is a good document to look over to get an idea of the law. Make sure that the lock and case is a good one. Alot of people will but those cheap aluminum cases from bass pro and you can drop most of them from about 15' and they will break at the hinges. Make sure that you have travel insurance or can pay to insure your bags from the airline. They will pay for lost luggage but not usually lost firearms.

When I go hunting out west I have never had a problem in the 5-6 trips I have made. Most of the time when you check your firearm they will have an air marshall or a certified "inspector" check to verify that the weapon is unloaded and they will put an inspection ziptie (thats what it looks like) to show that it wasnt tampered with at any time. Anywho.. Best of luck