PDA

View Full Version : Ticket advice

X-Runner
01-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Blah blah, not trying to pass blame... I was speeding and more than willing to take the responsibility, just looking for advice.

I got a ticket for 60 MPH in a 35 zone in Gainesville, on John Morry Pkwy. I didn't realize the speed limit had already changed from 45 to 35, he got me right after the change. Oh well, my fault. By law in GA anyone under 21 (I'm 20), will have there license suspended if you get a 4 point or more violation and 24+ over is a 4 point violation. The fine is $325 and I'd be glad to pay that, now what I need to know is how to keep my license. I think I only have one ticket on my driving record and it was a 2 or 3 point. Ill know for sure on Tuesday.

I need to keep my license because of my line of work (mobile mechanic) and I am trying to get my company going this year. I will also need to drive to make that happen to make pick ups and drop offs. My girlfriend and I are trying to buy a house this year as well, so as you can see loosing my license will really mess things up for me.

Any advice?

Sol-Badguy
01-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Lawyer.

X-Runner
01-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Lawyer.

Can't afford it. Any other?

Sol-Badguy
01-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Basically plead your whole case to the judge. Do not talk to the solicitor.

browningboy7
01-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Can't afford it. Any other?

Really if you cant afford the lawyer you just need to READ everything you can about the situation and try and find some sort of just loophole or clause. Even if you lose your license you should be able to get a work permit.

On_Her_Face
01-10-2010, 11:30 PM
No-lo?

AeeCeeCard
01-10-2010, 11:31 PM
good luck!
try reading all the info you can.

X-Runner
01-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Really if you cant afford the lawyer you just need to READ everything you can about the situation and try and find some sort of just loophole or clause. Even if you lose your license you should be able to get a work permit.

Thats what I am working on now, figured while I was at it I would post here too.

StreetHazard
01-10-2010, 11:32 PM
run...run away, far! Like Canada or Mexico.

If your not willing to do that, show up to your court date (early) and offer sexual favors to the judge. It doesn't matter if its a man, because you have that "mobile mechanic" business to maintain so your just going to have get your knees a little dirty.

If your ugly and the judge refuses, cry...cry a whole lot and beg, judges like begging and crying.

tdurr
01-10-2010, 11:39 PM
when do u turn 21? If ur birthday is before ur court date u could very well keep ur license. and try and get the court day delayed so u can turn 21.
and if u do have to go to court, if you present yourself well u could get the judge to reduce the ticket to keep it under 24mph.

quickdodgeŽ
01-10-2010, 11:51 PM
when do u turn 21? If ur birthday is before ur court date u could very well keep ur license. and try and get the court day delayed so u can turn 21.
and if u do have to go to court, if you present yourself well u could get the judge to reduce the ticket to keep it under 24mph.

They don't go by court date. They go by date of offense. Later, QD.

tdurr
01-10-2010, 11:54 PM
meh, a good friend of mine kept his license because he turned 21 the day before his court day so he got to keep his license so just throwing that out there.

oh and op take defensive driving, it looks good to the judge.

quickdodgeŽ
01-10-2010, 11:55 PM

Now that stands true. Later, QD.

swimshark
01-10-2010, 11:56 PM
you can get it pushed back if your birthday is close. know a girl that the court did that for her so she would have her class c license and would be 21. also i dont see why talking to the solicitor would be an issue. i did that when i was 18 and had a 28 over ticket. i told them i was about to start college and that i would pay the full fine for the 28 over and asked it they would knock it down to an 18 over. the solicitor made the deal with me and things worked out and i got to keep my license. i did have a previous 18 over speeding ticket as well.

swimshark
01-10-2010, 11:58 PM

yep that helps too :goodjob:

X-Runner
01-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Now that stands true. Later, QD.

Online course good? I went to a class once when I was 16 as well.

My birthday isn't until Aug.

tdurr
01-11-2010, 12:03 AM
they have it online? i just took a 6hour one on sat morning. it wasnt that bad.

DirtyMechanic
01-11-2010, 12:04 AM
not always. ive had many friend have court dates pushed back a few more months for their 21st birthday.

X-Runner
01-11-2010, 12:05 AM
they have it online? i just took a 6hour one on sat morning. it wasnt that bad.

Yep but not state approved. Just checked. How much was the class?

swimshark
01-11-2010, 12:06 AM
mine was $75 i think

aguynamedpat
If you cant afford a lawyer, how are you going to start your own business and buy a house? Lawyer may cost money, but you cant make money if you dont have a license for your MOBILE Mechanic.... So sounds like money for a lawyer would be more justified than hoping to keep your license and risking your business...

tdurr
$75

X-Runner
01-11-2010, 12:08 AM
If you cant afford a lawyer, how are you going to start your own business and buy a house? Lawyer may cost money, but you cant make money if you dont have a license for your MOBILE Mechanic.... So sounds like money for a lawyer would be more justified than hoping to keep your license and risking your business...

Because of other unexpected bills over the last three weeks I am flat broke until end of Feb. and my court date is 2-15.

aguynamedpat
01-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Get a lawyer, and he/she can push it back easier than you can. Trust me, I completely understand broke as a joke, and understand bills come up, but it sounds like you NEED to keep your license so you can continue to make money. Me personally, Id rather find a lawyer who will likely make it to where I can keep my license, as opposed to me showing up and just begging the judge and hoping.

Thats just me though. Good luck with it man.

marcos713
01-11-2010, 12:11 AM
i would strongly recommend a lawyer, even if you have to get a loan or something to pay, a little debt is better than losing your licence. defensive driving is always a plus in your favor. and talking to the solicitor about your situation could help you, my friend got a 26over when he was 17 and it was dropped to 16.

tdurr
01-11-2010, 12:11 AM
get the date pushed bad and if u can afford a lawyer on that date go for it. but for 25 over u should be able to get it dropped 1 or 2mph so u can keep ur license.

aguynamedpat
01-11-2010, 12:13 AM
You guys have to remember, you are all talking about "when my friend was x age, or 3 years ago when I was x age..." Shit has changed, and they are less likely to reduce and drop tickets because they are trying whatever they can to gain revenue, hence the super speeder law.

When I was 18, I got my first ticket dropped to 12 over and $80 from 21 over and $200. But, times have changed.

marcos713
01-11-2010, 12:31 AM
You guys have to remember, you are all talking about "when my friend was x age, or 3 years ago when I was x age..." Shit has changed, and they are less likely to reduce and drop tickets because they are trying whatever they can to gain revenue, hence the super speeder law.

When I was 18, I got my first ticket dropped to 12 over and $80 from 21 over and $200. But, times have changed.

true true i forgot:doh:

to the op, if your situation falls into the SSL, you really need to get a lawyer to help you on that 1.

Brian*
01-11-2010, 12:33 AM
No-lo?

Took the words out of my mouth... or fingers... or whatever

Pleed nolo!

tdurr
01-11-2010, 12:40 AM

Pleed nolo!

it might work. gotta see wut someone who works there says about it tho.

ksniperfox
01-11-2010, 03:41 AM
i once had a ticket pushed back for months and months until i turned 21 so it wouldnt get suspended. you can use nolo contendere once every 3 or 5 years i think.

On_Her_Face
01-11-2010, 08:43 AM

Pleed nolo!

It's like we are talking to a wall here.

NO-LO

Thank you, bitches.

ATLTSX
01-11-2010, 09:57 AM
It's like we are talking to a wall here.

NO-LO

Thank you, bitches.

x2 you plead no lo and you will have no points on your record. You only get to use that once ever 10 years I believe. I can't remember.

§treet_§peed
01-11-2010, 10:00 AM
I just reamed by the Hall County court system this morning myself. I bid you good luck because Hall County doesn't let shit slide period anymore.

Ziptied
01-11-2010, 10:01 AM
SLOW DOWN. /thread.

§treet_§peed
01-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Actually, Nolo Contondere only works one time for each type of offense. Meaning, if you have every plead it for any type of traffic violation it usually doesn't work again.

Njobe
01-11-2010, 10:04 AM
when i got my first ticket i was 17 and was not allowed to use no-lo, but by my court date i turned 18 and i was asked if i wanted to use no-lo because i was 18 now. so i think if he can get it pushed till August(which i highly doubt it) he will be able to get the 4 points and keep his license.

RL...
01-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Blah blah, not trying to pass blame... I was speeding and more than willing to take the responsibility, just looking for advice.

I got a ticket for 60 MPH in a 35 zone in Gainesville, on John Morry Pkwy. I didn't realize the speed limit had already changed from 45 to 35, he got me right after the change. Oh well, my fault. By law in GA anyone under 21 (I'm 20), will have there license suspended if you get a 4 point or more violation and 24+ over is a 4 point violation. The fine is $325 and I'd be glad to pay that, now what I need to know is how to keep my license. I think I only have one ticket on my driving record and it was a 2 or 3 point. Ill know for sure on Tuesday.

I need to keep my license because of my line of work (mobile mechanic) and I am trying to get my company going this year. I will also need to drive to make that happen to make pick ups and drop offs. My girlfriend and I are trying to buy a house this year as well, so as you can see loosing my license will really mess things up for me.

Any advice?

plead nolo contendere, and you will not lose your license, although the fine will probably increase.

Ziptied
01-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Actually, Nolo Contondere only works one time for each type of offense. Meaning, if you have every plead it for any type of traffic violation it usually doesn't work again.

Nolo Contendere, n00b.

Njobe
01-11-2010, 10:08 AM
idk about that, i had a friend who used it multiple times on speeding fines. he did have a lawyer each time, but i still don't see how he got to use it multiple times. also, i think you're supposed to be able to use it ever 5 years.

Ziptied
01-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Using it varies state by state.

Njobe
01-11-2010, 10:10 AM
he is here in GA.

§treet_§peed
01-11-2010, 10:11 AM
lol at some of you calling me a noob. My lawyer is Dan Summer btw.

Ziptied
01-11-2010, 10:16 AM
I meant its uses are varied on frequency and such by state. I don't know GA laws and rules.

And Street, learn to spell. how cute, you have one lawyer! Oh wait, you work at a gas station, nevermind.

§treet_§peed
01-11-2010, 10:24 AM
I meant its uses are varied on frequency and such by state. I don't know GA laws and rules.

And Street, learn to spell. how cute, you have one lawyer! Oh wait, you work at a gas station, nevermind.
Why would I need multiple lawyers when I'm not a bussiness owner, not a career criminal, not a drug dealer, or anything in that manner.

Ziptied
01-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Why would I need multiple lawyers when I'm not a bussiness owner, not a career criminal, not a drug dealer, or anything in that manner.

This proving your n00bness in this arena.

Jblizzard
01-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Defensive driving and any courses similar can help, also be completely honest. You might come out with your license, but you'll probably have some probation and community service with it.

§treet_§peed
01-11-2010, 10:36 AM
This proving your n00bness in this arena.
Yup sure thing, and since when have you attend law school?

Ziptied
01-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Yup sure thing, and since when have you attend law school?

Let's see, around 6 years ago. Granted it wasn't for me, but im not the 22 year old running my mouth when I work at a fucking gas station. LMAO.

StreetHazard
01-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Let's see, around 6 years ago. Granted it wasn't for me, but im not the 22 year old running my mouth when I work at a fucking gas station. LMAO.

Whats wrong with gas stations? I <3 gas stations and frequent them quite often : )

§treet_§peed
01-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Where did you study law at then? Also, I don't work at a gas station anymore. I also find it very hard to believe you have a law degree.

Ziptied
01-11-2010, 10:45 AM
USC. Move up to the car wash?

http://law.sc.edu/

§treet_§peed
01-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Oregon

Pennsylvania

Texas

Virginia

Washington
US Code

Copyrights

Crimes

Labor

Patents

Shipping
US Constitution

Preamble

Art. I - Legislative

Art. II - Executive

Art. III - Judicial

Art. IV - States' Relations

Art. V - Mode of Amendment

Art. VI - Prior Debts

Art VII - Ratification

Georgia Code - Motor Vehicles & Traffic - Title 40, Section 40-5-121

Legal Research Home > Atlanta Lawyer > Motor Vehicles and Traffic > Georgia Code - Motor Vehicles & Traffic - Title 40, Section 40-5-121
Sponsored Links

(a) Except when a license has been revoked under Code Section 40-5-58 as a habitual violator, any person who drives a motor vehicle on any public highway of this state at a time when his privilege to do so is suspended, disqualified, or revoked shall be guilty of a misdemeanor for a first conviction thereof and, upon a first conviction thereof or plea of nolo contendere within five years, as measured from the dates of previous arrests for which convictions were obtained to the date of the current arrest for which a conviction is obtained, shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two days nor more than 12 months, and there may be imposed in addition thereto a fine of not less than $500.00 nor more than $1,000.00. For the second or subsequent conviction within five years, as measured from the dates of previous arrests for which convictions were obtained or pleas of nolo contendere were accepted to the date of the current arrest for which a conviction is obtained or a plea of nolo contendere is accepted, such person shall be guilty of a high and aggravated misdemeanor and shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than ten days nor more than 12 months and there may be imposed in addition thereto a fine of not less than $1,000.00 nor more than $2,500.00.

(b)(1) The charge of driving with a suspended or disqualified license shall not be made where the suspension is a result of a failure to respond under Code Section 40-5-56 or an insurance cancellation unless the arresting officer has verified a service date and such date is placed on the uniform citation. If the suspension or disqualification is verified and the driver possesses a driveŕs license, the license shall be confiscated and mailed to the department. If the suspension or disqualification is not verified, the arresting officer shall serve the driver and attach the driveŕs license, if available, to the copy of service and send it to the department.

(2) The department, upon receiving a record of the conviction of any person under this Code section upon a charge of driving a vehicle while the license of such person was suspended, disqualified, or revoked, shall extend the period of suspension or disqualification for six months. The court shall be required to confiscate the license, if applicable, and attach it to the uniform citation and forward it to the department within ten days of conviction. The period of suspension or disqualification provided for in this Code section shall begin on the date the person is convicted of violating this Code section.

(c) For purposes of pleading nolo contendere, only one nolo contendere plea will be accepted to a charge of driving with suspended or disqualified license within a five-year period as measured from date of arrest to date of arrest. All other nolo contendere pleas in this period will be considered convictions. For the purpose of imposing a sentence under this subsection, a plea of nolo contendere shall constitute a conviction. There shall be no limited driving permit available for a suspension or disqualification under this Code section.

(d) Notwithstanding the limits set forth in Code Section 40-5-124 and in any municipal charter, any municipal court of any municipality shall be authorized to impose the punishment provided for in this Code section upon a conviction of violating this Code section or upon conviction of violating any ordinance adopting the provisions of this Code section.

On_Her_Face
01-11-2010, 10:47 AM
x2 you plead no lo and you will have no points on your record. You only get to use that once ever 10 years I believe. I can't remember.

5 years I believe.

StreetHazard
01-11-2010, 10:49 AM
USC. Move up to the car wash?

http://law.sc.edu/

GAWD that looks boring....

Do not want

§treet_§peed
01-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Yeah they might except it in the court room, but it doesn't mean the state will except it when it goes through. You still may loose your license regardless of what a lawyer, solicitor, or judge may tell you.

Ziptied
01-11-2010, 10:52 AM
GAWD that looks boring....

Do not want

Agreed. 2 semesters and said fuck that.

§treet_§peed
01-11-2010, 10:55 AM
So, two semesters makes you a lawyer? You also pretty much admitted it was boring and I'm willing to be you didn't pay attention to shit.

On_Her_Face
01-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Yeah they might except it in the court room, but it doesn't mean the state will except it when it goes through. You still may loose your license regardless of what a lawyer, solicitor, or judge may tell you.

I've done NO-LO without even going to court... I don't see why the court room would accept it and the state wouldn't accept it? Please explain.

Ziptied
01-11-2010, 11:04 AM
So, two semesters makes you a lawyer? You also pretty much admitted it was boring and I'm willing to be you didn't pay attention to shit.

Kid, you really need to learn when to STFU. I never said I was a lawyer, I said you are a fucking moron.