PDA

View Full Version : Installed Walbro 255hp, now blows #14 fuse.

bigdare23
01-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Car: 1988 Honda CRX Si (converted to OBD1)

Today a friend and I installed a Walbro 255 high pressure (not low pressure, if that makes a difference) fuel pump into my CRX. After we got done, I went to prime the fuel pump for a few seconds, and the Walbro turned on (no problems). Next we installed a set of DSM blue top injectors, a new pressure regulator, new basemap in my ecu, and header. Go to prime the pump again and now it doesn't work, and the check engine light stays on the whole time. We changed the ecu, it didn't help. Then we started pulling fuses, and found a blown Alt. Solenoid Valve Fuse. I replace it with another fuse of the same ampere (10A), and the car cranks up with no problem runs for a bout a minute and then dies. Blown fuse again. I read some where online that the ampere for that fuel pump is 15A rather than 10A the stock one requires, so some people just replace the 10A fuse with a 15A without any problems (I don't want to do this without verification). Some people says the power wire on the pump is being ground some where. I'm trying to check all the possible solutions before I drop the tank again (DAMN EFS!!!) to check for a grounded wire on the fuel pump. I just wanted to know if anyone has experience this before. If so, what did you do to resolve it? Thanks!

Tech5
01-10-2010, 09:22 PM
If it was me, take the fuel pump back out and re check everythingggggg....if everything is SUPER fine... 15amp will be fine!

bigdare23
01-10-2010, 09:24 PM
If it was me, take the fuel pump back out and re check everythingggggg....if everything is SUPER fine... 15amp will be fine!

Seems like I'm going to have to. I was just trying to find other places to check before I drop the tank again. :(

Tech5
01-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Seems like I'm going to have to. I was just trying to find other places to check before I drop the tank again. :(

Seems you pinched a wire doing the install , and now you are having problems. Before you didn't so Its coming from where you worked last .

bigdare23
01-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Seems you pinched a wire doing the install , and now you are having problems. Before you didn't so Its coming from where you worked last .

Which may be true, but what making second guess are numerous threads on other forums of people running higher ampere and not having any more problems.

Tech5
01-10-2010, 09:34 PM
well lets not worrie about others cars on other forums at this time. Lets worrie about your car with no issues until you put a fuel pump in it.... Re-check and then come back to us...

dallasb84
01-10-2010, 11:12 PM
DO NOT PUT THE 15 AMP IN!!!!!!!!!.....

your about to blow your shit up along with your house.....

more than likely you pinched the fuel pump harnes under the sending unit....

i did it and the same thing happened..... check engine light and a blown fuse...

you need to pull it out and check for a short.......

if theres no short........ it still needs to be a 10 amp fuse.... the pump will not short a 10 amp fuse..... at least a 255 walboro

Tech5
01-10-2010, 11:14 PM

i did it and the same thing happened..... check engine light and a blown fuse...

if theres no short........ it still needs to be a 10 amp fuse.... the pump will not short a 10 amp fuse..... at least a 255 walboro

Exactly, but I have used many times a 15amp with no issues, but if there is a issue then yes never use a 15 amp but its not like putting a 30 amp in there when it ask for 10 amp ...15 amp isnt that much difference

Echonova
01-10-2010, 11:18 PM

if theres no short........ it still needs to be a 10 amp fuse.... the pump will not short a 10 amp fuse..... at least a 255 walboroThis maybe true... I ran a 255 in my CRX years ago and I do not remember having to up the fuse. That being said... It's common in the 240 world do just what you are saying. I had to replace my 10 with a 15 and couple years later ended up having to re-wire the whole mess...

Edit: 18 year old factory wiring at some point doesn't cut it anymore.

Tech5
01-10-2010, 11:21 PM
This maybe true... I ran a 255 in my CRX years ago and I do not remember having to up the fuse. That being said... It's common in the 240 world do just what you are saying. I had to replace my 10 with a 15 and couple years later ended up having to re-wire the whole mess...

If you have a problem yes, because adding a bigger amp fuse it will make the wires hotter before popping the fuse...But 5amp up isnt that bad..... Unless you have a issue!!

I have seen some people couldnt find a short and keeps popping the fuse...So they installed a 30 amp onto a 8amp asking and listen,smell,and watch for smoke to find the short to ground :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao: