PDA

View Full Version : Non emission CEL and emission tests..?

JITB
01-09-2010, 12:02 PM
I wondered if the Cel is on in a car but its not emissions related will it still pass, the car is obd2? Its a stupid transmission code on my gfs neon..that hasnt been fixed yet.. I figured it was fine unless its a emissions code.. but im not sure...

NewGen33
01-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I had a light for a knock sensor it was non emission related and passed with no problems.

JITB
01-09-2010, 12:05 PM
I just read this...:(

"A transmission problem is directly related to the emission control system and can trigger the “Check Engine” light. A diagnostic analysis will yield a transmission code that will help identify the transmission component(s) needing repair. Transmission malfunctions can prevent a vehicle from running efficiently, increasing emissions above federal certification limits."

well we will see...

Tech5
01-09-2010, 12:06 PM
I wondered if the Cel is on in a car but its not emissions related will it still pass, the car is obd2? Its a stupid transmission code on my gfs neon..that hasnt been fixed yet.. I figured it was fine unless its a emissions code.. but im not sure...

It will fail!!

Transmission code is a emissions problem too!!

Example

If it will not shift into 4th gear so it stays in 3rd and you drive everywhere at 5k rpms well a lot of pollution is in the air now! so that is a problem passing a emission test

Tech5
01-09-2010, 12:07 PM
I had a light for a knock sensor it was non emission related and passed with no problems.

That was on a OBDI re re...

OBDII if check engine light is on period I don't care if its because your antifreeze is LOW you will FAIL!!! 96-up cars

JITB
01-09-2010, 12:16 PM
It will fail!!

Transmission code is a emissions problem too!!

Example

If it will not shift into 4th gear so it stays in 3rd and you drive everywhere at 5k rpms well a lot of pollution is in the air now! so that is a problem passing a emission test

yea i see.. i guess ill be fixing this shit..:( its too cold to be fixing anything...

Tech5
01-09-2010, 12:17 PM
yea i see.. i guess ill be fixing this shit..:( its too cold to be fixing anything...

this is true

NewGen33
01-09-2010, 12:18 PM

OBDII if check engine light is on period I don't care if its because your antifreeze is LOW you will FAIL!!! 96-up cars

He asked I answered chill out buddy.

Tech5
01-09-2010, 12:33 PM
He asked I answered chill out buddy.

I am chilled enough its 24 degrees here....But Don't miss lead anyone that is all...

Slomaro Z28
01-09-2010, 12:36 PM

This is true:goodjob: And you'll have to go thru a drive cycle once the light goes off, to get the ready status. Just because the light goes off doesn't mean you'll pass, if the system is not ready, it'll still fail.

NewGen33
01-09-2010, 12:37 PM
I am chilled enough its 24 degrees here....But Don't miss lead anyone that is all...

How is me giving my experience with a non related emission code misleading. Stop trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

Tech5
01-09-2010, 12:39 PM
How is me giving my experience with a non related emission code misleading. Stop trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

You stated that your light (CEL) was on , and you still passed emissions!!!!!

Like saying he might also!!!

You need to tell the whole story, telling him its a OBDI car not a OBDII car that is all no big deal!

Tech5
01-09-2010, 12:40 PM
This is true:goodjob: And you'll have to go thru a drive cycle once the light goes off, to get the ready status. Just because the light goes off doesn't mean you'll pass, if the system is not ready, it'll still fail.

correct the GCAF states a 2 week driving prior to the next re inspection to allow this process to take place...I have seen some that takes longer then 2 weeks,some longer then 400 miles and some as short as 3 miles..... all depends on the car

NewGen33
01-09-2010, 12:47 PM
You stated that your light (CEL) was on , and you still passed emissions!!!!!

Like saying he might also!!!

You need to tell the whole story, telling him its a OBDI car not a OBDII car that is all no big deal!

I see your point just didn't mean it they way it was typed. No harm no foul :goodjob:

Tech5
01-09-2010, 01:04 PM
true true no harm