PDA

View Full Version : Religion have any of you non-believers ever questioned?

geoff
01-08-2010, 06:04 PM
i know of some people that have gone through some terrible things in there life. they were agnostic or atheist and in there tough times they found themselves doing everything they could to make things better. that includes praying to the God they never believed in. some of them ended up turning to God and their faith began. the others went right back to doubting and questioning after things got better or didnt. my question is, have some of you on here that dont believe in God ever found yourself desperate and seeking Him?

StreetHazard
01-08-2010, 06:54 PM
It's a good question....

On occasion I have found myself saying"ohhhh god please", " Oh god, Jesus fucking Christ please NO!", or sometimes even "OHHHH GOD!" right before busting a righteous load all over my girlfriend.

But (strangely) not wanting to sound intellectual about it, I know it is only my culture and my language that was shaping those thoughts, those words and ideas, they are not based upon anything real or tangible. If I found some kind of security in the idea of an omnipotent supernatural being that was overseeing my life, I know deep down that I would be fooling myself. Like a child and his/or her security blanket. Children's psychological research also points out that there is nothing abnormal about being attached to them. The research also claims in the United States, about 60% of children have at least some attachment to a security object. Which ironically is just a little less than the statistics of the "do you believe in god poll" on this website. I am not entirely sure if there is a correlation.

But children do not really ask you to believe in their blanket with them, much less force you to be with them and their blanket at gun or sword point. :crazy:

Personally I find comfort being in control of my own situation no matter how terrible it is, even if it was me that put me there, or something totally out of my control. I want to be "driving my own car" so to speak, and not just "along for the ride". How it seems to me many religious people view their life, like everything is "gods will" and that individual has no say or any control in the matter. That mentality is so weak to me it's disgusting, like watching a heroin junky cook up with a spoon in front of you and shoot up. I get the same feeling of revulsion when I come across people like that.

But I digress....I suppose the short answer is No, because even if the idea makes me feel warm and fuzzy, deep down I know it is a false hope, if not an outright lie. No one is going to help you except for yourself, and the sooner you come to that understanding the more honest and better you will be to yourself.

ChnkyLao
01-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Honestly, believing in god just seem to put some sort of false hope into someone when really they can do something about it themselves, its just easier to believe in god and easier to think he's helping you.

At one point there might have been a god, but honestly hes probably just watching us now.

you think yourself, please god i need more money. Did he hear your wish, and instantly granted you a bonus in your paycheck, no if your boss liked you and appreciated your hard work then that might happen. I've never preyed to god in hopes that he could help me correct something in my life, only you can really do that.

to answer your question no, I don't expect anything if I did prey for anything

now my opinion is extremely biased because I was never raised to praise god honestly, so I want to hear your opinion on this? what are you seeking from him so desperately?
"my question is, have some of you on here that dont believe in God ever found yourself desperate and seeking Him? "

Starrfire
01-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Nope. Used to go to church every day that shit was in session. When I was old enough not to go I didn't go any longer. I don't believe in it and don't find myself needing help, because I know nothing will happen, and I help myself. If I need to talk to someone, I TALK TO A REAL PERSON that will answer back.(and not some Catholic crap). Invisible friends are for little kids and certifiably insane people..

5speed
01-09-2010, 06:20 PM
To me that very act in itself is showing you believe there is a God. I dont care what religion you grew up in or if your family was never religious. I believe it is your souls natural cry out for it and your mind just doesnt allow you to accept it. As for Christianity it never says you will not suffer. That is where alot of church goers have screwed up.

EJ25RUN
01-09-2010, 06:23 PM
I choose not to question what other people choose.

I'd like the same in return.

Me86Rob
01-09-2010, 06:38 PM
never question anything. Do what you do, just let me be is all I ask.
as far as seeking a god or w/e for help in hard times, no to that as well. I get myself into the hard times and its nobodys responsibility but my own to get me out.

5speed
01-09-2010, 06:52 PM
never question anything. Do what you do, just let me be is all I ask.
as far as seeking a god or w/e for help in hard times, no to that as well. I get myself into the hard times and its nobodys responsibility but my own to get me out.
Same here but I believe in God

StreetHazard
01-09-2010, 07:14 PM
I believe it is your souls natural cry out for it and your mind just doesnt allow you to accept it..

This sentence literally makes no sense to me, where does the mind end and the "soul" begin? This is where logic and reason begin to fail, and conversation begins to steer into belief and the unknowable

5speed
01-09-2010, 07:19 PM
This sentence literally makes no sense to me, where does the mind end and the "soul" begin? This is where logic and reason begin to fail and has nothing to do with the topic
Very good question. Fact is you never really know. Logic doesnt explain everything and never will. And I can see why people would say God within itself is illogical the point is not everything can fit inside our minds. Its just the way I feel. I used to claim atheism, and have thought many things. This is where I find my peace. Whatever works for a person is fine to me.

StreetHazard
01-09-2010, 07:21 PM
I edited my original post but it doesn't really matter anyway, but GOD as depicted in Abrahamic religion (Judaism, Chistianity and Islam) will never fit inside my mind because I find that gods morals absolutely abhorrent to my own, I find it literally "inhuman" and would not call him my lord and master even if he was proven real. But I have explained my viewpoint on this at length elsewhere, and care not to type it again.

5speed
01-09-2010, 07:25 PM
I edited my original post but it doesn't really matter anyway
Reread it. Funny thing though is that other peoples beliefs never got me what I believe today. Just years of walking around in the woods and beaches thinking about deep shit lol

DevilEYEaM
01-10-2010, 02:07 AM
I think this kid, the OP, is a bit obsessed with god:

wherever God leads

riding for God crew member #1

And the sig picture is only the most gruesome image portrayed by the bible.

Imagine what a church could do with all the money you spend on your car dude.
Just saying...

StreetHazard
01-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Christians: "My God, hallelujah"!

Muslims: "Praise Allah! on your knees and pray or I will behead you".

Jews: "it's a false messiah, nail it up!"

Atheists: "It is ice"

EJ25RUN
01-10-2010, 09:16 AM
I think this kid, the OP, is a bit obsessed with god:
wherever God leads
riding for God crew member #1
And the sig picture is only the most gruesome image portrayed by the bible.
Imagine what a church could do with all the money you spend on your car dude.
Just saying...

Exactly. There are better places to go bore people about "his god" than this site.

geoff
01-10-2010, 02:53 PM
to chnkylao- i was never raised to praise God either and i really dont know how to. what am i seeking so desperately? im seeking peace my friend. im an individual who has never been satisfied with anything. not money, cars, jobs, partying, ect...i only recently found some fulfillment and peace when i started searching for God. thats why i am where i am today. im seeking to know, receive, and obtain truth, meaning, purpose, and the complete knowledge of God. i read the old testament and new, i heard other peoples stories of what God was to them. i want more, i want to experience the deepest things in God.

to devilEYEam- yes i guess i am obsessed with God. i sought answers in the world, knowledge from other teachers, and guidance from other " great people" in history. none of it was enough. to me God is amazing. i have experienced so many things with my Lord, things that logic and science cant explain. and as far as the church and my money. the bible says to give 10% to God. i dont believe that pertains to money only. i believe it means your time, thoughts, ect...i dont spend much money on my car. and if i could i would use ALL my money to help others, to give a warm shower and meal to the homeless, to comfort the fatherless, and help encourage those that are addicted or whatnot.

StreetHazard
01-10-2010, 03:45 PM
^ ^ ^

I accept donations! :D

geoff
01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
my friend if i knew you were doing without something, food, water, shelter, ect i would help out in any way that i could.

ChnkyLao
01-10-2010, 10:21 PM
to chnkylao- i was never raised to praise God either and i really dont know how to. what am i seeking so desperately? im seeking peace my friend. im an individual who has never been satisfied with anything. not money, cars, jobs, partying, ect...i only recently found some fulfillment and peace when i started searching for God. thats why i am where i am today. im seeking to know, receive, and obtain truth, meaning, purpose, and the complete knowledge of God. i read the old testament and new, i heard other peoples stories of what God was to them. i want more, i want to experience the deepest things in God.

peace? and you've found some fulfillment and peace when you started searching for god? so peace and fulfillment is what lead to your search for god ok, that makes sense, if it works for you it works for you

DevilEYEaM
01-11-2010, 06:13 AM
I think it is pretty obvious by my name that I am not christian but I am not one who goes around spewing shit about how everyone should drop their belief in god. I just think it is pretty odd that you come onto a car forum and ask such a question, especially if you actually expected a serious answer from this crowd.

I find that most people seek out religion and god because, as you have stated, they have some void in their heart or soul to fill. I have no void to fill or unfulfilled feeling to quell and so I have no desire to know god.
I don't deny the existence of a god but I don't accept it either. I only know that if there is a god, he is not paying attention to me.

And for the record, nothing is stopping you from dismantling your life for the sake of others. The bible was writen by men so who is to say 10% is all you should give. You could sell your possesions including that pretty red fire bird there and give it all to homeless, fatherless, hungry people.

Kevykev
01-12-2010, 07:18 AM

to devilEYEam- yes i guess i am obsessed with God. i sought answers in the world, knowledge from other teachers, and guidance from other " great people" in history. none of it was enough. to me God is amazing. i have experienced so many things with my Lord, things that logic and science cant explain. and as far as the church and my money. the bible says to give 10% to God. i dont believe that pertains to money only. i believe it means your time, thoughts, ect...i dont spend much money on my car. and if i could i would use ALL my money to help others, to give a warm shower and meal to the homeless, to comfort the fatherless, and help encourage those that are addicted or whatnot.

I respect that. :cheers:

jdmpeez
01-12-2010, 09:31 AM
if ypur looking for god truley he sees that and you just ask him to come into your life and fufill it you with all of him tell him you give your all and all of you to him you are his trust me he is everywhere and sees everything if your bein serious you should try to drive to crossroeds church it is in sharpsburgh and it is great good people good services great words hit me up if you want to try it

The Creeper
01-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Who is this god character you speak of?

jdmpeez
01-12-2010, 09:34 AM
and also it is so amazing to hear these words and read them on this site i am a big beleiver even though i dont act like it sometimes it is hard to live by the book but jesus knows we are not perfect thats why he died for all of our sins past present and future.

jdmpeez
01-12-2010, 09:38 AM
are you kidding me man dont act like you dont know even if you dont beleive in him you do know of him and if not i wouldnt mind talkin to you if your up to it i love helping people find or just get on the path to god i ask you are you serious you dont know of him?

The Creeper
01-12-2010, 09:38 AM
^I think jesus would of had to die about a 100 times over for Hitler...

The Creeper
01-12-2010, 09:40 AM
are you kidding me man dont act like you dont know even if you dont beleive in him you do know of him and if not i wouldnt mind talkin to you if your up to it i love helping people find or just get on the path to god i ask you are you serious you dont know of him?

I think god would be more so considered as a "it" then a him, to be honest, if it exists.

jdmpeez
01-12-2010, 09:40 AM
people who joke about god dont tlk to me please

jdmpeez
01-12-2010, 09:44 AM
oh he deffinatly exsists and i hope one day you think about this stuff and maybe talk or pray he will answer just because he doesnt answer when you want him too dont mean he wont he will when he wants you to know or when he thinks your ready hope you find help if you would like to talk more lokk me up gtg

geoff
01-15-2010, 02:32 PM
jdmpeez- Jesus died for all of our PAST sins. scripture clearly dictates that once we go down into the water our old man is dead and we rise up a new creation in Christ. your present and future sins CAN be forgiven BUT it calls for repentance not an apology. i hope your not one of those once saved always saved christians or one that believes your saved cuz you said a prayer and accepted Jesus. the bible goes so much deeper than this.....either way its nice to see another follower of Christ. God bless you

StreetHazard
01-15-2010, 02:44 PM
I see some missing posts in this thread, they once were...but now gone:ninja:

Lankhoss
01-24-2010, 11:30 PM
i know of some people that have gone through some terrible things in there life. they were agnostic or atheist and in there tough times they found themselves doing everything they could to make things better. that includes praying to the God they never believed in. some of them ended up turning to God and their faith began. the others went right back to doubting and questioning after things got better or didnt. my question is, have some of you on here that dont believe in God ever found yourself desperate and seeking Him?

Kinda funny you say that. It was having a horrible thing that happened in my life that made me not believe, and finally set my soul free.

geoff
01-25-2010, 10:27 AM
made you not believe? what do you mean set your soul free? what happened if you dont mind me asking? we can take this to pms if you like