PDA

View Full Version : Different Stage clutches

djpikachu1
01-08-2010, 09:54 AM
What is the difference between stage 1 and 5 clutches for a car. Im going to change it for my 98' Civic Ex, which stage do you recommend and would it be better to add a short shifter.
Thanks for your help.:goodjob:

green91
01-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Depends on the manufacturer. I usually don't page attention to stages, its more of a catch phrase than useful information. Some companies (ACT) don't even use stages. Picking a cluthc depends on your power goals and how/where you drive the car.

Having owned short shifters in hondas, i do not recommend buying one. I had a skunk2 break at the ball and strand me, and also they wear out your syncros on your transmission much more quickly. The stock throw isn't very long, just leave it alone!

civicturbo10
01-08-2010, 01:14 PM
just pick a clutch based on what u need. Short shifter - just stay away from aluminum, go for a more durable material like steel. I had an DC one that wore out at the ball. As far as syncros wearing much more quickly. Well, i have used short shifters for a long time and i didn't notice the syncros wearing out terribly fast. Had a trans with over a 100k on it and it still shifted into all the gears. Granted it needed a rebuild for racing, still good enough for a DD. Shifted fine driving normal.

Barefoot
01-08-2010, 02:40 PM
whats your power goal. how do u like your engagement.

djpikachu1
01-08-2010, 04:26 PM
whats your power goal. how do u like your engagement.

:thinking:

dallasb84
01-08-2010, 09:53 PM
list mods

and then engagement is how you like your pedal..... for instance do you slip the clutch or do you know how to drive with it instantly on or off.....

if your daily driving th car get an oem or stage one.....

i have a ebay stage one clutch.... cost my 120bux to my door.... im boosted to 10 pounds on my b18 and have no slippage issues... sooooo

punkr6
01-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Judging by your location, I doub't you will have your car long anyway. But, if the engine is stock or just mild bolt ons, stick with a stock clutch or no more then a stage 2. most stage 3s are 6puck and more then you need.....

Tech5
01-08-2010, 09:58 PM
rule of thumb!!!

buy the parts you will need for the next mod you are planning on!!

For an example if you are planning on boosting your car get something that will hold that yeild power!

This way you don't install a stocker then latter you add turbo and need something stronger!!

this goes with all mods!!

djpikachu1
01-08-2010, 10:37 PM
list mods

and then engagement is how you like your pedal..... for instance do you slip the clutch or do you know how to drive with it instantly on or off.....

if your daily driving th car get an oem or stage one.....

i have a ebay stage one clutch.... cost my 120bux to my door.... im boosted to 10 pounds on my b18 and have no slippage issues... sooooo

I CLUTCH THE BOTH WAYS YOU JUST SAID AND I GUESS I WILL GET A STAGE 1 THEN THANKS

Judging by your location, I doub't you will have your car long anyway. But, if the engine is stock or just mild bolt ons, stick with a stock clutch or no more then a stage 2. most stage 3s are 6puck and more then you need.....

I DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT MY CAR BEIN STOLEN BECAUSE THEY DONT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE MANUAL, YEAH THE ENGINE IS MOSTLY STOCK, I WILL GET A STAGE 1 THANKS

dallasb84
01-08-2010, 10:50 PM
^ I THINK HES A MEXICAN BECAUSE ONLY THIEVING MEXICAN KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A stick.......

envision
01-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Make sure you look at the driveability factor

I have a stage 5 in my civic with a k20a mind you I need it for the power but it is a pain in the ass to drive in town especially in traffic

Try to find a good balance between holding power and clutch feel

djpikachu1
01-09-2010, 10:21 AM
^ I THINK HES A MEXICAN BECAUSE ONLY THIEVING MEXICAN KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A stick.......

naw im not a mexican, keep guessing, your warm gringo pendejo:lmfao:

djpikachu1
01-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Make sure you look at the driveability factor

I have a stage 5 in my civic with a k20a mind you I need it for the power but it is a pain in the ass to drive in town especially in traffic

Try to find a good balance between holding power and clutch feel

I C i will keep it simple with a stage 1 thanks

civicturbo10
01-09-2010, 11:08 AM
yep that area (Bankhead) is about the roughest part of town i've seen in GA. Just going into a convenience store the whole counter had 1" thick glass from the counter up with bars to reinforce it. There was only a small metal tray that slid out where money / product was exchanged. You paid and your item was passed to you on the metal tray. Hell, even the local furniture store had to buzz you in through the front door. Just an eye opener....

djpikachu1
01-09-2010, 11:49 AM
yep that area (Bankhead) is about the roughest part of town i've seen in GA. Just going into a convenience store the whole counter had 1" thick glass from the counter up with bars to reinforce it. There was only a small metal tray that slid out where money / product was exchanged. You paid and your item was passed to you on the metal tray. Hell, even the local furniture store had to buzz you in through the front door. Just an eye opener....

Its not that bad like it used to be, cause went go to the store or places over there i leave my car window down and of course take the face off the stereo and its all cool. im latino but i know alot of my homeboys who stay there cause i went to scott elementary and west fulton where i was the only different color race there lol but since they torn down bowen homes and bankhead courts its toned down.

dallasb84
01-09-2010, 12:15 PM
aw shit hes puerto rican.....

could be worse.... honduran

djpikachu1
01-09-2010, 01:49 PM
aw shit hes puerto rican.....

could be worse.... honduran

nope getting warmer:lmfao:

i4_garage
01-09-2010, 01:53 PM
6 PUCK! DD all DAY!