PDA

View Full Version : Project 240SX

tony
10-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Well once my G is sold I'm going to start working on my 96 240SX and I am looking for suggestions.. I've been researching but I wanted some expert opinions as well. I honestly do not know where to start, its an automatic and I want to convert it to a manual and do an engine swap. Its going to be my daily driver but I'd like to be able to do drift events and go to the track in my free time. I've heard good things about Megan Racing coilovers, I love HKS products as well. I just want opinions.. especially wheels. Budget is about $6k.

wantboost
10-25-2005, 09:34 AM
i have a set of megan racing coilovers and they are great. I drove my friends 240 who had some apex coilovers which are good also but i believe they are more expensive.the meagans are realitivly cheaper than the apexis amd i dont think the apexis or anything else is worth the extra money.

silviadriftr
10-25-2005, 09:49 AM
As for the motor selection, I would ask myself what kind of horsepower I am looking for. Once that is determined you can make your mind up about which motor to go with. This is not to start battle between the KA and SR!!!! In my opinion if you want a good amount of torque and you are aimiing for between 250-270whp reliably I would suggest a kat. If you are looking for more power on the stock motor with the least amount of work, the sr20 is a good way to go and without doing a head gasket or bolts you can probably get around 350whp with something similar to a gt25r. With head gasket and head studs 473whp is possible on the stock motor, but for a daily driver/drifter you will probably want something that spools a little quicker. Don't count out the rb's but not my cup of tea because of the additional front weight. You may also want to take into account if the ka in the car is worth trying to put a turbo on, high milage? smokes? ect.... If you arfe looking at building a motor completely I would definitly look at the ka for the torque. Not to take anything away from the sr, but let face facts: 2.4>2.0, and a stroker kit for the sr will run around 4500.00 from hks. I think JWT has one out for the sr that is a little less expensive but it is still not a 2.4.

Conclusion: For stock motor setup I would choose sr. Example:Gt25r, safc, 550cc inj, z32 maf, and a large FMIC, 324whp and 285ftlbs.

For built motor setup: Check out the numbers on www.phatkat.org. but for what you are wanting to do I think the route of building a motor would be a waste for drifting.

Also on the coilovers I have heard the Apexi-ni system is nice, and I and a couple of other guys I know run the Tein HE suspension which is setup and valved specifically for drifting by Tein, but no info on the Megan racing good or bad.Here is a link for the coilovers and they have the new super drift line out as well for that car. http://www.tein.com/ti/p06.html

Just my :2cents:

BTEC
10-25-2005, 10:10 AM
sr20 would b my choice or a rb25 or rb26. i say rb25 or 26 bc if ur gonna do a rb do a rb, not a wussy a$$ rb20. lol!!! but for my taste, they still have 2 many cylinders.

tony
10-25-2005, 10:20 AM
the current stock engine has 180,000 miles on it, I couldn't think of bolting on a turbo.. plus I know the transmission is starting to go. I'm figuring around 300-350whp would be nice, I'm not looking to break any records I just want something to fill the void of my G35 for now. SR will probably be the route that I go

silviadriftr
10-25-2005, 10:20 AM
sr20 would b my choice or a rb25 or rb26. i say rb25 or 26 bc if ur gonna do a rb do a rb, not a wussy a$$ rb20. lol!!! but for my taste, they still have 2 many cylinders.

If you go as far as an RB why not a 2j?????? :D

silviadriftr
10-25-2005, 10:34 AM
the current stock engine has 180,000 miles on it, I couldn't think of bolting on a turbo.. plus I know the transmission is starting to go. I'm figuring around 300-350whp would be nice, I'm not looking to break any records I just want something to fill the void of my G35 for now. SR will probably be the route that I go

If you're not wanting to get a fully built motor done then my suggestion for daily drive/drifter with 300-350 whp would be the setup I mentioned earlier. Sr20det,550cc inj., FMIC, z32 maf,gt25r,and the S-AFC or The new Emangae Ultimate. They just realeased the Ultimate a week ago. It is still a piggy back style unit but has way more features than the S-AFC and more than the regular emanage.

BTEC
10-25-2005, 10:36 AM
If you go as far as an RB why not a 2j?????? :D
bc im gonna put a 2j in my AE86 and i was trying to keep that a secret, jackass. lol!!

silviadriftr
10-25-2005, 10:38 AM
bc im gonna put a 2j in my AE86 and i was trying to keep that a secret, jackass. lol!!

I didn't say anything about your Ae86!!! Jackass!! YOu just told on yourself..... :goodjob:lol.

HalfBaked
10-25-2005, 12:56 PM
I want an e-manage ultimate!

If you want just 300 get a sr and t28. You can make 300 on that and it'd spool fast and be a fun car and really cheap to build so you could focus money other places, like suspension, radiator, and anything else really.

HiPSI
10-25-2005, 02:35 PM
I want an e-manage ultimate!

If you want just 300 get a sr and t28. You can make 300 on that and it'd spool fast and be a fun car and really cheap to build so you could focus money other places, like suspension, radiator, and anything else really.

agreed... stock SR with a T28 or GT28RS will make 300ish HP on pump gas and still have the quick spool that makes the car have usable power instead of being a lag monster. for management you can either go silviadrftr's route and do the basic injectors/MAF/AFC or find a used PowerFC like i run in my car to run with the injectors/maf and have the capability to fully tune the setup. AEM also has a plug'n'play standalone for the SR but it would likely end up being 1/5 of your budget right there.

do yourself a big favor and do the cometic head gasket and ARP studs while the engine is out for swapping, it's a great amount of safety for the price. same goes for the cluch of course, much easier to do out of the car.

as for doing the swap, if you have the means at all do it yourself. send the harnesses off to get done, the mechanical part of it is very easy if you're mechanically inclined (or have friends that are). that will save you enough right there to get some more cool stuff like an upgraded turbo or all those suspension bits you want, maybe a good LSD. it all adds up pretty quickly but it pays in the long run to do it right the first time, i know this from experience since my car still runs great to this day and several friends who bought pre-swapped cars that were mildly half-assed have had crazy issues.

PSINXS
10-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Do not forget Rocker Arm Stoppers. I speak from experience. 70 bucks for a set can save u from spending thousands of dollars.

silviadriftr
10-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Do not forget Rocker Arm Stoppers. I speak from experience. 70 bucks for a set can save u from spending thousands of dollars.

Definitly the rocker arm stoppers. Saved my a** a couple of times. I wouldn't suggest the AEM for a smaller setup like what you want to do, plus the 550 inj, I would go with emanage ultimate which is about 1000.00 less than the EMS and will do as much as you need for tuning.

PSINXS
10-29-2005, 05:48 PM
this is why u get rocker arm stoppers
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/SR20_RPS13/rockerarms.jpg

MR. 200SX
10-29-2005, 11:09 PM
Hey Tony do you know Craig ( works at infiniti ) ??

auxiliary
10-30-2005, 11:19 AM
plus if you get a front clip it will make converting to 5-speed a little easier

tony
10-30-2005, 11:28 AM
Hey Tony do you know Craig ( works at infiniti ) ??

sounds familiar, which infiniti does he work at?

MR. 200SX
10-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Gwinnett he drives a really clean G35

tony
10-30-2005, 09:11 PM
hmm, I know of Brent but I'm sure I've met Craig. Infiniti of Gwinnett are the guys that replaced my engine under warranty when the rest of the dealerships turned me away.