PDA

View Full Version : General Chat New Corvette smallblock?

On_Her_Face
01-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Back in August when General Motors introduced the all-new GT2 class Corvette C6.R, it ran downsized 6.0-liter version of the 7.0-liter V8 from the long-dominant GT1 car. At the launch, Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan told us the 6.0-liter was just an interim engine. With revised GT rules on tap for 2010, GM was already planning a brand-new engine for its race Vette.

Unlike the 6.0/7.0, which is a ground-up race engine that only shares basic architectural dimensions with the production small block, the 2010 C6.R's V8 is a new 5.5-liter unit that will indeed be derived from the production engine found in roadgoing Corvettes. In fact, the 5.5-liter race engine will be built at GM's Performance Build Center alongside ZR1 and Z06 V8s.

Fehan has confirmed that the 5.5 is running on the dyno and will make its race debut at the 12 Hours of Sebring in March. We don't have any additional details on the new engine yet, although we were told earlier that it is based on the next-generation production small-block, which we expect to see in the Corvette soon.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/02/corvette-racing-boss-doug-fehan-confirms-new-5-5l-v8-for-sebring/#comments

5.5L, not sure how I feel about this until the numbers are out... :thinking:

1439/2000
01-07-2010, 04:55 PM
5.5l, maybe it will rev worth a shit.

On_Her_Face
01-07-2010, 05:00 PM
5.5l, maybe it will rev worth a shit.

We will see, I love the LS3 and I'm just not too sure of how I feel about smaller displacement and higher compression (usually higher H.P. and lower TQ). I am not saying it will be a "lesser" motor because I have faith that GM isn't headed that way at this time.

This could possibly also put Corvette in the horrible bracket so that people have to pay the Gas Guzzler Tax.

CHADbee
01-07-2010, 05:05 PM
hhhmmmm.....interesting. maybe trying to go for a more exotic type drivetrain?

ill be upset if i doesnt make torque.

On_Her_Face
01-07-2010, 05:09 PM
hhhmmmm.....interesting. maybe trying to go for a more exotic type drivetrain?

ill be upset if i doesnt make torque.

Maybe it will have "new" technology such as direct injection and the LS6 was a 5.7 so .2 displacement can't be that bad... I hope.

CHADbee
01-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Maybe it will have "new" technology such as direct injection and the LS6 was a 5.7 so .2 displacement can't be that bad... I hope.

ugh.....i guess we will see....im trying to be positive here lol

tnomud
01-07-2010, 06:40 PM
I will see it up close and personal at Sebring:D

On_Her_Face
01-07-2010, 10:06 PM
ugh.....i guess we will see....im trying to be positive here lol

Me too and a Corvette that lacks low end torque is not really a Corvette ha.

NoRotor
01-07-2010, 10:25 PM
They already make the LSx in smaller configurations of 4.8 and 5.3L as an iron block for trucks..... They still make torque.

Stol3n
01-07-2010, 10:27 PM
They already make the LSx in smaller configurations of 4.8 and 5.3L as an iron block for trucks..... They still make torque.

those 5.3's are torquey.

On_Her_Face
01-07-2010, 10:53 PM

Yes but not power on the top end, so would it end up like a C4 Corvette?

NoRotor
01-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Yes but not power on the top end, so would it end up like a C4 Corvette?

I'm sure the engineers at GM can figure out something w/ fancy headwork and DI. Rev the piss out of it like they do w/ the LS7 and I'm sure you'll see some top-end. Anyway, I thought your concern was on the low-end, not the top-end: "a Corvette that lacks low end torque is not really a Corvette."

On_Her_Face
01-08-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm sure the engineers at GM can figure out something w/ fancy headwork and DI. Rev the piss out of it like they do w/ the LS7 and I'm sure you'll see some top-end. Anyway, I thought your concern was on the low-end, not the top-end: "a Corvette that lacks low end torque is not really a Corvette."

Yeah, I'm just thinking and posting my first thoughts. I am one that does not like change so I am just posting everything negative that comes to mind lol. Hell I didn't even like the idea of fixed headlights when I first head/saw it.