PDA

View Full Version : Misc Baseball card stores?

MachNU
01-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Was cleaning out one of my closets today and found a OLD ass box full of a few thousand baseball cards from the mid 1980's. Anyone know of a place where you can take something like this to get priced out or that buy's them?

-EnVus-
01-05-2010, 02:56 PM
i have the same deal i got a few hundread or so some as old as 1970.

TicketRedBB6
01-05-2010, 03:08 PM
I have about four full boxes of cards. I called a few places and looked up a few stores online. It seems like most places only want to buy cards pre-60's unless its a very nice card by itself. There are a few online sites where you can sell them, or on ebay or something. Those would prob. be your best bet. Or put them back in the closet like I did and wait/hope they get popular again.

quickdodgeŽ
01-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Was cleaning out one of my closets today and found a OLD ass box full of a few thousand baseball cards from the mid 1980's. Anyone know of a place where you can take something like this to get priced out or that buy's them?

In a nutshell? They aren't worth shit. The late 70s brought out mass productions of sports cards and the value of them from then on took a nose dive. Topps, Upper Deck and Fleer (to name a few companies) just went south in value due to the many cards produced. Only if you have a very good Hall-of-Famer card will you get a decent dollar. But even then, it won't be that much because of the numbers made. The only baseball cards really worth anything are pre-1960s and older. You could probably take that entire box and give to the card store for about $50. Might as well take it because no matter how long you hold out, the value will more than likely not increase. Later, QD.

quickdodgeŽ
01-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Or put them back in the closet like I did and wait/hope they get popular again.

As I said above, odds are that they won't. You'd have to give many, many years and the player be such a superstar to have it gain in value. Later, QD.

-EnVus-
01-05-2010, 03:19 PM
In a nutshell? They aren't worth shit. The late 70s brought out mass productions of sports cards and the value of them from then on took a nose dive. Topps, Upper Deck and Fleer (to name a few companies) just went south in value due to the many cards produced. Only if you have a very good Hall-of-Famer card will you get a decent dollar. But even then, it won't be that much because of the numbers made. The only baseball cards really worth anything are pre-1960s and older. You could probably take that entire box and give to the card store for about $50. Might as well take it because no matter how long you hold out, the value will more than likely not increase. Later, QD.
i agree card trading buying and selling or even collecting is a fast dieing hobby. i posted on ebay and no luck there....

MachNU
01-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Actually I was once a heavy card collector and the way values increase is...

Popularity
Jailed
Hall of Famer
Retired
Death
Death + 5 years
Death + 10 years
etc.

Though I would be curious how much my Hawk's Game Book is worth with almost all the players sigs in it. Everyone but Tony K, that prick!

Big Baller
01-05-2010, 05:39 PM
I agree with QD, the only cards I have I really care about are PRE-1970. I've got a shit pile of cards I collected as a kid.

quickdodgeŽ
01-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Actually I was once a heavy card collector and the way values increase is...

Popularity
Jailed
Hall of Famer
Retired
Death
Death + 5 years
Death + 10 years
etc.

Though I would be curious how much my Hawk's Game Book is worth with almost all the players sigs in it. Everyone but Tony K, that prick!

That works well with older cards, but with mass produced cards, they're so many out there that it doesn't matter what the person did, they just won't accumulate worth.

Basketball cards are one of the lowest of the lows as far as value. A game book would probably only be worth what a Hawks fan would pay for it. On a collectible scale, though, probably not a damn thing. Later, QD.

MachNU
01-05-2010, 09:11 PM
That works well with older cards, but with mass produced cards, they're so many out there that it doesn't matter what the person did, they just won't accumulate worth.

Basketball cards are one of the lowest of the lows as far as value. A game book would probably only be worth what a Hawks fan would pay for it. On a collectible scale, though, probably not a damn thing. Later, QD.

Tust me I know. I had some basketball cards that 10 years ago where worth $25-50 per. I looked them up a few months ago and they are only worth $5-10. Sports card collecting is just a dying business. Sadly I have some Pokemon cards that I collected when those FIRST hit the state's both English and Jap. What is I have probably 20-30 cards that range in anywhere from $35-60 per card. Probably the whole collection is worth upwards of $2000. Its sad that a cartoon card game can be worth more than a sports card collection.

T.C.
01-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Like stated numerous times above cards that are not pre-60's are not sought after like they used to be. Memorabilia on the other hand is a different story,. I would sell any of my cards in a heartbeat but, I would never get rid of my 1928 allstar game ball signed by both teams. It even has Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth's signature on it. Comic books are almost the same as cards. The comic book trade boomed in the late 80's early 90's but just died off. I would never get rid of my comic books though.