PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Car of the Decade!?

Humphrizzle
01-04-2010, 04:35 AM
As I finished the last available episode of Top Gear online, I realized we should have a poll about the BEST car from 2000 up until 2010.

The Bugatti Veyron was chosen by the 3 hosts. I do agree that is a great pinnacle of achievement in automotive history with the a 253.5 mph top speed, 2.5 second 0-60 time, and a 16 cylinder 8.0 liter motor with nearly 1000 horsepower. But.. I'm not sure it's the best of the decade.

I've come up with some others both in the same league as the Veyron and in the lower leagues of regularly priced cars. Let's see what Atlanta and surrounding areas thinks is the BEST CAR OF THE DECADE!

Well, I cant post a poll... The site wouldnt let me after 10 minutes past the time I posted the thread.

Just say your answer...

bdydrpdmazda
01-04-2010, 04:54 AM
2004 WRX STi

Humphrizzle
01-04-2010, 04:56 AM
fuckin poll wouldnt let me post because i took too long thinking of cars to post..

damnit.

leobond001
01-04-2010, 05:05 AM
Skyline Z tune. 10 sec's from the factory.

Humphrizzle
01-04-2010, 05:07 AM
best car all-around.. not just your favorite car..

bdydrpdmazda
01-04-2010, 05:28 AM
In all seriousness, I would have to go with the C6 Corvette Z06. It has the power, performance and luxury of a $200,000+ supercar but cost less than $100,000.

81911SC
01-04-2010, 05:34 AM
This will be/is going to be a terrible thread.

Humphrizzle
01-04-2010, 06:02 AM
why is that?

it would have been good.. if it were a poll.

bdydrpdmazda
01-04-2010, 06:14 AM
A poll would be really hard to do considering the amount of cars that would need to be in the running...

angel12
01-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Nice Information.......

BABY J
01-04-2010, 06:39 AM
EVO - as much as I hate them, it's has to be the EVO. Will outrun and outcorner the Z06 and will still have change left over after mods. Def more versatile w/ the AWD as well.

bdydrpdmazda
01-04-2010, 06:51 AM
EVO - as much as I hate them, it's has to be the EVO. Will outrun and outcorner the Z06 and will still have change left over after mods. Def more versatile w/ the AWD as well.
Thats why i said STi, its the absolute best bang for your buck, 300 hp and AWD for just under $40,000. I put the EVO in the exact same class.

bdydrpdmazda
01-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Nice Information.......
Who are you? And are your other 13 posts as brilliant as this one?

TSiFTW
01-04-2010, 11:25 AM

I would agree except I think the EVO was a better car in the mid 90's. It is hard to say for me because I didn't see any real innovations in this decade in anything other than cars most people can't afford. So I will have to agree and say the Veyron.

BABY J
01-04-2010, 11:29 AM
The EVO was not better in the 90s. ONLY if you are a true driver. The electronics are world class... and brute force drivers are not fans of this kinda electronic "help" from a vehicle... so I see what you mean.

81911SC
01-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Too many cars and too many variables from members with no sense.

MachNU
01-04-2010, 11:31 AM
If where talking general everyday car's then to me domestic side it's the 04 Cobra, or the C6Z06. Imports - Evo 9 MR / 04/05 STI

Now for top of the line expensive as shit car...ACR Viper.

driftyboy
01-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Best USDM Car of the decade?

Nissan GT-R

tony
01-04-2010, 11:58 AM

Nissan GT-R

I have to agree, not as a fanboy but because all of the talk swarming around it before and after the release. When something garners pages upon pages of discussion and debate, it is obviously doing something right and I don't think there is another car out there this decade that kept the industry talking like the GT-R.

That said I'd save some pennies and get an R8 instead.

MachNU
01-04-2010, 12:07 PM
I have to agree, not as a fanboy but because all of the talk swarming around it before and after the release. When something garners pages upon pages of discussion and debate, it is obviously doing something right and I don't think there is another car out there this decade that kept the industry talking like the GT-R.

That said I'd save some pennies and get an R8 instead.

Actually most those discussions where on what a disappointment that car was. Plus a few pages about all the Lawsuits against Nissan for the Warrenty on the car, then others laughing at how it got drug around the ring by the Z06, ZR1 AND the ACR.

tony
01-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Actually most those discussions where on what a disappointment that car was. Plus a few pages about all the Lawsuits against Nissan for the Warrenty on the car, then others laughing at how it got drug around the ring by the Z06, ZR1 AND the ACR.

If it was that insignificant, it wouldnt be talked about at all.

5speed
01-04-2010, 01:17 PM
The best car of the decade hands down is the Daewoo Kalos

HypnoToad
01-04-2010, 01:41 PM
i deff say it has to be the C6 Z06.

staygold24
01-04-2010, 03:17 PM
I cant really decide what any one car of the decade can be as there are wayyy too many variables for such a specific statement. I will say that the bugatti veyron was a feat of engineering and the fact that it actually cost more to produce than they sold it for says that pretty well.

Best american bang for the buck and by this I mean domestic made would be the c6 z06 hands down or the zr1 if you are talking about bang for alotta buck

Japanese would be the gt-r even though the transmissions do explode and fluid for the tranny's cost over 100 a quart.

ACR is the best track destroyer but I dont know about dealing with it everyday and to be honest I have a soft spot for chevy's and lsx's.

Still love the zonda r and koeniggsegggggkljaf;lja;jdfaj;f ccxr or however you spell it too along with the fxx and enzo.

SeePlusPlus
01-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Sorry for the slight sidetracking from the original post, but what is the website you use to watch this season's top gear? Its slipped my mind...

David88vert
01-05-2010, 06:05 AM
The Veyron is definitely the top of the decade. The level of refinement that it has right out of the box, at that power level is unmatched. The only other cars in that league, and they do not have the power, are the Maybach, and the Ghost.

Humphrizzle
01-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Sorry for the slight sidetracking from the original post, but what is the website you use to watch this season's top gear? Its slipped my mind...

casttv.com

Humphrizzle
01-05-2010, 06:16 AM
out of lack of any better car i can think of, i will have to now agree that the veyron is, in my opinion, the best car of the decade.

I think my favorite car i've seen is the Ariel Atom. I still cannot get over how awesome that car really is. 300 hp car that weighs 1000 lbs.

Just as quick as the Bugatti in the 0-60 speed, road car, epic engineering at only 60k USD.

IDCoconut
01-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Veyron.

Sit in a C6 Z06 and a F430 back to back. Now tell me if you think the Z's interior is as Luxurious as the F430.

i4_garage
01-05-2010, 09:16 AM
The veyron is it...end of story. lol

ironchef
01-05-2010, 09:50 AM
In all seriousness, I would have to go with the C6 Corvette Z06. It has the power, performance and luxury of a $200,000+ supercar but cost less than $100,000.What luxury? The Z06 is not luxurious in the slightest.

This will be/is going to be a terrible thread.Agreed.

Nissan GT-RIn the somewhat reasonable/affordable price range the GT-R takes the cake.

That said I'd save some pennies and get an R8 instead.I'd get the R8 instead as well.

Actually most those discussions where on what a disappointment that car was. Plus a few pages about all the Lawsuits against Nissan for the Warrenty on the car, then others laughing at how it got drug around the ring by the Z06, ZR1 AND the ACR.How was the car a disappointment? It was highly lauded by virtually every single member of the automotive world, not to mention all the fanboys.

Back to the original question though. I'd have to agree with the Veyron.

There is no other car with such a level of refinement, performance, spectacle, exclusivity, and notoriety.

SeePlusPlus
01-05-2010, 07:33 PM
casttv.com

Thanks man

MachNU
01-05-2010, 09:24 PM
How was the car a disappointment? It was highly lauded by virtually every single member of the automotive world, not to mention all the fanboys.

Not really. Every fanboy loved it before it came out, but after it did not hold up. When people realized they paided $80-100k for a car that had a shit warrenty. You could not do anything with it without breaking the warrenty. Then you could not turn off the TC button or you voided the warrenty. Which they came with a POS tranny from the factory. Was it a nice car year, but it wasnt Nissan's best. It might have been the best USDM Nissan, but far from there best. Even more so when the C6 Z06, ZR1, & ACR destroyed that car all performance catagories, and cost either roughly the same price or less.

Hell go read about the all the class action lawsuits against Nissan and the GTR.

stormcrow
01-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Not really. Every fanboy loved it before it came out, but after it did not hold up. When people realized they paided $80-100k for a car that had a shit warrenty. You could not do anything with it without breaking the warrenty. Then you could not turn off the TC button or you voided the warrenty. Which they came with a POS tranny from the factory. Was it a nice car year, but it wasnt Nissan's best. It might have been the best USDM Nissan, but far from there best. Even more so when the C6 Z06, ZR1, & ACR destroyed that car all performance catagories, and cost either roughly the same price or less.

Hell go read about the all the class action lawsuits against Nissan and the GTR.

More misinformation being spread through those who are ill-informed. Just a few facts for you:

1 - VDC off driving does NOT void the warranty

2 - the GR6 transmission is actually a very stout transmission. the majority of the failures stemmed from abuse of the "launch control". it was usually the first gear that gave way. there is very little wheel-spin with the AWD of the GT-R but a lot of wheel-hop. this will destroy any transmission.

3 - minor modifications do not void the warranty. the Nissan has warranted failed transmissions even though the owners had flashed the ECU with Cobb Access Ports. would Chevrolet? Would Chrysler?

4 - the C6 Z06 has never come close to the performance of the GT-R. the ZR1 tried, but fell short in Ring times. a revamp of the dampners on the ZR1 has pushed its times close(r). but, comparing 130k to 80k is not quite apples to apples. the ACR? not even a production car. good luck picking up one at anywhere near the cost of a GT-R.

5 - the class action lawsuits against Nissan are over. Nissan made changes to the 'launch control' and people who used LC1 are granted immunity.

i'm not a fanboy. i am an owner. i have my qualms with the GT-R. i think the paint sucks and is pure Nissan crap. i have seen harder paint on a Versa. they re-invented problems already fixed in other models such as tire feathering in the front, clicking axels and failing steering wheel locks. (same as the Murano) but, for an 80k supercar, it can't be beat.

Revmaynard
01-05-2010, 09:51 PM
The 240 is da best because drifting.

sTeadFasT
01-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Honestly I'd say either the Veyron for its pure engineering feats and pushing the limits or the GT-R, not for wheter its quicker than the ZR1 or this and that, but just the innovation and technology which is a great stepping stone to prove how far technology has come.

BABY J
01-05-2010, 10:10 PM
The 240 is da best because drifting.

:D I especially like the 2003 models.

JITB
01-05-2010, 10:20 PM
More misinformation being spread through those who are ill-informed. Just a few facts for you:

2 - the GR6 transmission is actually a very stout transmission. the majority of the failures stemmed from abuse of the "launch control". it was usually the first gear that gave way. there is very little wheel-spin with the AWD of the GT-R but a lot of wheel-hop. this will destroy any transmission.

3 - minor modifications do not void the warranty. the Nissan has warranted failed transmissions even though the owners had flashed the ECU with Cobb Access Ports. would Chevrolet? Would Chrysler?

4 - the C6 Z06 has never come close to the performance of the GT-R. the ZR1 tried, but fell short in Ring times. a revamp of the dampners on the ZR1 has pushed its times close(r). but, comparing 130k to 80k is not quite apples to apples. the ACR? not even a production car. good luck picking up one at anywhere near the cost of a GT-R.

5 - the class action lawsuits against Nissan are over. Nissan made changes to the 'launch control' and people who used LC1 are granted immunity.

i'm not a fanboy. i am an owner. i have my qualms with the GT-R. i think the paint sucks and is pure Nissan crap. i have seen harder paint on a Versa. they re-invented problems already fixed in other models such as tire feathering in the front, clicking axels and failing steering wheel locks. (same as the Murano) but, for an 80k supercar, it can't be beat.

im glad there is a GTR owner on here now to separate BS from Facts... b/c i went grey doing so....

The fact that EVo was the first choice in this thread... makes it a horrible thread already...lol

Veyron hands down... nothing else can touch it right now..

BABY J
01-05-2010, 10:24 PM
There are more things to consider than just brute force guys - maintenance, ease of use, hell even availability goes into the mix.

Fast Shadow
01-05-2010, 11:44 PM
C6 Z06

Cheap

Easy to maintain

Handles great

Great power

gets nearly 30mpg on the highway

marcos713
01-06-2010, 12:06 AM
There are more things to consider than just brute force guys - maintenance, ease of use, hell even availability goes into the mix.

very tru!

Atlblkz06
01-06-2010, 12:22 AM
I say give it to the R10 TDI:

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/autopia/images/2007/03/16/audi_r10_tdi_02.jpg

MachNU
01-06-2010, 09:12 PM

See you just posted all the same things I did, and yet you say its still teh car of the decade? It had problems from the factory, Nissan was anal as hell about warrenty to the point of a lawsuit. The first gears gave away with little pressure from launching it, etc.

Also ring time you say the GTR is better? Wrong. GTR best offical time before production release was 7:38, ZR1 pre release time was 7:26.8. There was an unoffical time for the GTR at 7:28, but again that was unoffical.

I am a Nissan Fanboy, and still say the GTR is crap, the R33/34 are still the best skylines to come from Nissan.

Price, ACR is now no longer in production, but was msrp'ed around $95k. ZR1, msrp'ed around $105k. GTR was msrp'ed around $85k. It might be the cheapiest but not by much. The zr1 and acr for more money out class the gtr in every aspect.

BanginJimmy
01-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Because of the anticipation surrounding it, I will say the new Camaro. I actually dont know shit about most of the other vehicles mentioned in this thread.

stormcrow
01-06-2010, 10:13 PM
See you just posted all the same things I did, and yet you say its still teh car of the decade? It had problems from the factory, Nissan was anal as hell about warrenty to the point of a lawsuit. The first gears gave away with little pressure from launching it, etc.

Also ring time you say the GTR is better? Wrong. GTR best offical time before production release was 7:38, ZR1 pre release time was 7:26.8. There was an unoffical time for the GTR at 7:28, but again that was unoffical.

I am a Nissan Fanboy, and still say the GTR is crap, the R33/34 are still the best skylines to come from Nissan.

Price, ACR is now no longer in production, but was msrp'ed around $95k. ZR1, msrp'ed around $105k. GTR was msrp'ed around $85k. It might be the cheapiest but not by much. The zr1 and acr for more money out class the gtr in every aspect.

your facts are so skewwed. let's make some corrections.

1 - i never voted for the GT-R as car of the decade. but, i am now saying that, yes, it should be a very strong contender for obvious technological reasons.

2 - there are two official video documented GT-R laptimes on the Ring with Toshio driving: one at 7:29.03 and one at 7:26.70

3 - "little pressure" busting the first gear?? i think not. repeated abuse from launching 480hp at 4500rpm on streets that are not prepped. i don't consider that "little pressure".

4 - yes, the R33/R34 are the best Skylines to come from Nissan. the R35 is not a Skyline. that moniker was dropped and now the Skyline is what the USDM calls the G35/G37.

5 - if you believe the ZR1 or ACR "out class" the GT-R, then you are biased and there is no room for debate.

Me86Rob
01-06-2010, 10:33 PM
the turbo cobalt SS

goi_ek
01-07-2010, 04:16 AM
civic si:D

ej_one
01-07-2010, 04:20 AM
2000 honda civic si

seanrg1116
01-07-2010, 07:25 AM
In all seriousness, I would have to go with the C6 Corvette Z06. It has the power, performance and luxury of a $200,000+ supercar but cost less than $100,000.

you are right except about the luxury it rides and drives like a track car, from what the reviews have said they are far from luxurious and comfortable

cjhutch
01-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Toyota Prius and I'm serious.

In the past everyone always knew performance cars and trucks were easy sales. The Prius set the bar for alternative fuel vehicles and is still pretty much the benchmark when people talk about hybrids and fuel economy. Not only that, but the car was made large enough to carry four people easily and it could be used everyday. When is the last time there was a waiting list to buy a car? For all the jokes people make about the car it has really influenced the current market of cars. Without the Prius there would be no hybrid SUV's and hybrid sports cars that actually perform just as good and sometimes better than their strictly gasoline powered counterparts. Not everyone likes a car that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds or care about how much they can tow, but everyone wants better fuel mileage and that's where it made the biggest impact.

Elbow
01-07-2010, 11:04 AM
DEFINITELY the 2000 Civic SI.

eraser4g63
01-07-2010, 12:58 PM
There is not a single Honda that belongs on that list ( baring the S2000) other than that I would have to give it to the C6 Z06 or the 1 series BMW or The Miata cause no matter what Pound for pound that is the most fun you can have in a car.

skacore
01-07-2010, 02:45 PM
gt-r

Aeroscout977
01-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Yeah car of the decade could probably belong to a Honda in the 90s but to many companies like Nissan, Hyundai, and VW have put out some vast improvements compared to the last decade. As far as most improved I'd have to say Hyundai.

My vote for best car of the decade would go to either the veyron or prius. Best car has nothing to do with best value. It comes down what kind of a driver are you? This will be bias no matter what.

On_Her_Face
01-07-2010, 05:18 PM

Best from the factory would make this debate a lot better.

The Z06 is a great choice for performance and I do not see an Evo (stock US market) outrunning or out cornering a Z06.

I would have no idea where to start on this topic.

On_Her_Face
01-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Toyota Prius and I'm serious.

In the past everyone always knew performance cars and trucks were easy sales. The Prius set the bar for alternative fuel vehicles and is still pretty much the benchmark when people talk about hybrids and fuel economy. Not only that, but the car was made large enough to carry four people easily and it could be used everyday. When is the last time there was a waiting list to buy a car? For all the jokes people make about the car it has really influenced the current market of cars. Without the Prius there would be no hybrid SUV's and hybrid sports cars that actually perform just as good and sometimes better than their strictly gasoline powered counterparts. Not everyone likes a car that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds or care about how much they can tow, but everyone wants better fuel mileage and that's where it made the biggest impact.

Toyota Pruis is the worst car ever. It has a larger carbon foot print than a Hummer H1 before it is even fully assembled. Not to mention when the battery dies 5-10 years it is around $7,000 to fix (probably worth more than the car once the battery has died).

Vert4ya
01-07-2010, 06:50 PM

even tho i hate domestics, i have driven one to TN and back and i was very impressed with performance, and luxury. it does however lack in cargo room.

redr1
01-12-2010, 09:55 AM
The Porsche 996 Turbo is my choice for Car of the Decade.........................

EJ25RUN
01-12-2010, 11:38 AM
why is that?

it would have been good.. if it were a poll.

Because people on this site are too narrow minded to give a plausible answer.

ISAtlanta300
01-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Toyota Corolla.

Best Selling Vehicle Nameplate and still going strong.

And I am serious.

ISAtlanta300
01-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Toyota Pruis is the worst car ever. It has a larger carbon foot print than a Hummer H1 before it is even fully assembled. Not to mention when the battery dies 5-10 years it is around $7,000 to fix (probably worth more than the car once the battery has died).

You DO know that the battery has an 8 year/100K miles warranty (10 in California), right?, making your battery issue kind of moot for the first 10 years.....

Browning151
01-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Dacia Sandero :ninja:

I would have to say Honda FCX Clarity and the Veyron. The Clarity looks way better than a prius, has zero emissions, and to me it looks like a pretty big step forward in hydrogen fuel cell powered vehicles, even though I really don't care about carbon footprint garbage it is pretty interesting to have a car thats only emission is water. The Veyron is just pure engineering acheivement and there's just nothing out there that can touch it. :2cents:

GAtegs
01-12-2010, 01:09 PM
CTS-V

zracin
01-12-2010, 02:08 PM
For a real driver:
Ariel Atom,
monster performance, plenty available, great price, reliable, parts readily availible, easy to work on yourself.

RL...
01-12-2010, 02:37 PM
maximas hands down

but seriously for a sporty car the gtr

for the best sedan hyundai genesis 4.6l

onebadgt
01-12-2010, 03:13 PM
i would def say the c6z06, theres nothing in the pricerange that can compete with it speed wise or luxery wise

onebadgt
01-12-2010, 03:15 PM

:thinking:z06=505hp of aero dynamic light weight luxery supercar

evo=300hp 4 door tuner

an evo traps what stock like 106
a stock c6z can trap over 130

GAtegs
01-12-2010, 03:42 PM
I'd rather have a CTS-V over a Z06. Performance numbers of very comparable, but the CTS-V has so much more as far as luxury and features are concerned. It will also do most of what the Z06 can do, but with a CTS-V, you can do it with a couple of kids in the back.

EJ25RUN
01-12-2010, 03:49 PM
I say give it to the R10 TDI:

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/autopia/images/2007/03/16/audi_r10_tdi_02.jpg
Im having a dilemma picking between this and the R8 since the R8 won more but this was more revolutionary.

onebadgt
01-12-2010, 04:34 PM
I'd rather have a CTS-V over a Z06. Performance numbers of very comparable, but the CTS-V has so much more as far as luxury and features are concerned. It will also do most of what the Z06 can do, but with a CTS-V, you can do it with a couple of kids in the back.

wrong. i do agree the cts-v is very nice and i like them. they do have the luxery of a z and can sit more people but are not even in the same league when it comes to performance

GAtegs
01-12-2010, 05:32 PM
wrong. i do agree the cts-v is very nice and i like them. they do have the luxery of a z and can sit more people but are not even in the same league when it comes to performance

The CTS-V makes 51 more horsepower than a Z06. Sure, it's heavier, and thus, not as fast, but what it lacks (slightly) there it makes up in features that the Z06 doesn't have...seating, sunroof, cooled seats, heated steering wheel, remote start (if you get the auto), comfort, etc.

stormcrow
01-12-2010, 07:56 PM
:thinking:z06=505hp of aero dynamic light weight luxery supercar

evo=300hp 4 door tuner

an evo traps what stock like 106
a stock c6z can trap over 130

ummm. Z06 has zero luxury and is by no definition of the word a supercar. sports car, yes. supercar, not by a long shot.

5speed
03-12-2010, 09:07 PM
I concur...

man
03-12-2010, 10:40 PM
PSH... def not the z06 or gtr or Veyron. You cant go hellaflusheddownthetoilet-with-1-billion-degrees-of-negative-camber-and-slammed-on-13in-wide-wheels-with-7in-tires-to-control-the-130hp-beast-under-the-hood with any of those cars...

patrick2876
03-13-2010, 12:36 AM
f430 scuderia

jdm-civic
03-13-2010, 02:04 AM
92 ford probe gt........

Humphrizzle
03-13-2010, 02:31 AM
I pick the Ariel Atom.. It looks like the most fun, best put together, street/track car you can get for 50k.

It will always be a dream to own one.

Demsum
03-13-2010, 02:35 AM
I'm surprised that so many people said the veyron for the technical achievement and innovation. Where is the innovation? It wasn't the first quad turbo car, and the SSC Ultimate Aero TT took its world fastest crown after two years. My vote goes to the GTR or GTI:ninja:.

Humphrizzle
03-13-2010, 02:40 AM
GTI? lol..

Elbow
03-13-2010, 06:33 AM
I'm surprised that so many people said the veyron for the technical achievement and innovation. Where is the innovation? It wasn't the first quad turbo car, and the SSC Ultimate Aero TT took its world fastest crown after two years. My vote goes to the GTR or GTI:ninja:.

The SSC is a joke. :lmfao:

tnomud
03-13-2010, 08:58 PM
C6ZR1

5speed
03-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Wow, people actually started posting here again. I was just bring a Necrothread back bc all the noobs were lol

tnomud
03-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Wow, people actually started posting here again. I was just bring a Necrothread back bc all the noobs were lol

I just posted cuz I was on the phone and bored. I have had like 10 posts editied or deleted this week, so I kept it simple.

Vettes really are slow, they don't have VTEC, stance, or streched tires. :tongue1:

Ziptied
03-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Nissan GT-R.

/thread.

and I'm no leg humper, I actually hate Nissan, but show me that performance for that price.