PDA

View Full Version : CONVERSION? SOHC TO DOHC?

Hernandez09
12-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Ok i just bought this car a few weeks ago and just wanted to use it for travel to school and to put my audio system in it. It is a 91 Eclipse SOHC and was wondering how difficult it is to convert it to a DOCH. Is it worth it and what work is gonna be involved, any extras that are needed, wiring, tuning, etc.

Master Shake
12-29-2009, 06:13 PM
seems like you're headed towards a full swap.

i'd go gs-t

envision
12-30-2009, 10:11 AM

i'd go gs-t

+1

gambit4000s
12-31-2009, 02:14 AM
+2

Slomaro Z28
12-31-2009, 11:00 AM

i'd go buy a gs-t\

Fixed:cheers:

SRK420a
12-31-2009, 11:02 AM
sell you gas saving 1.8 and buy a gst or gsx

VTECking
01-02-2010, 05:23 AM
Get a honda. :ninja:

DustnU
01-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Don't really mess with DSM's but I hear Gs-T's and Gs-X's are pretty good swaps. Good luck in whatever direction you go.

Slomaro Z28
01-02-2010, 09:41 AM
When I had my 2g eclipse I wanted to swap in a 4g63 to replace the 420a, looked into it a lot. It'd be easier on you (headaches) and probably your wallet to sell that and BUY a gs-t or GSX. It can be done though.

froyotlbw88
01-04-2010, 02:16 PM

i'd go gs-t

the gsx swap (awd turbo) is a pretty difficult swap to do and i don't know if thats the best investment for u since ur in school.

Right now ur pushing the 1.8L 4G37 which is the only SOHC motor that came in the eclipse, talon, or laser. The easiest swap for you to do if you want twin cam is the 4G63 swap. Its 2.0L Non-turbo and comes in the Eclipse GS. It'll give you around 135 hp and its fwd just like yours. The reason that would be the easiest swap is because you car should will easily be able to manage that power. I started off with that 2.0 non-turbo motor.

Now the if you want to make even more power then go with the GS-T swap that everyone (including me) is cosigning on. the difference between the GS-T and the GSX is that the GS-T is also fwd while the GSX is awd. The GS-T uses a 4G63T engine...similar to the one in the EVO 1-9. Its really a monster and if you're really into racing, you can make a 10 second car out of it.

AWD is always a winner in most peoples eyes, but like I said its a lot to convert. You have to get a good awd parts car, swap the awd gas tank, fabricate a harness to hold it up, cut and weld the rear subframe onto your car...its just a lot of money and time. At that point you'd be better off buying a running GSX.

Anyway, your question was, how difficult is it to convert to DOHC...its as difficult as doing a motor swap..You choose which motor....4G63 or 4G63T. If you wanna wait until summer 2010, i'll sell you the GS motor for $450. I'm going to be rebuilding the one that I had in my Talon.

slowfg2
01-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Get a honda. :ninja:
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
couldn't hurt

jmotley
01-04-2010, 08:31 PM
^^^ amen.

Master Shake
01-04-2010, 08:58 PM
\

Fixed
lol, i think you knew what i meant.:cheers:

the gsx swap (awd turbo) is a pretty difficult swap to do and i don't know if thats the best investment for u since ur in school.

Right now ur pushing the 1.8L 4G37 which is the only SOHC motor that came in the eclipse, talon, or laser. The easiest swap for you to do if you want twin cam is the 4G63 swap. Its 2.0L Non-turbo and comes in the Eclipse GS. It'll give you around 135 hp and its fwd just like yours. The reason that would be the easiest swap is because you car should will easily be able to manage that power. I started off with that 2.0 non-turbo motor.

Now the if you want to make even more power then go with the GS-T swap that everyone (including me) is cosigning on. the difference between the GS-T and the GSX is that the GS-T is also fwd while the GSX is awd. The GS-T uses a 4G63T engine...similar to the one in the EVO 1-9. Its really a monster and if you're really into racing, you can make a 10 second car out of it.

AWD is always a winner in most peoples eyes, but like I said its a lot to convert. You have to get a good awd parts car, swap the awd gas tank, fabricate a harness to hold it up, cut and weld the rear subframe onto your car...its just a lot of money and time. At that point you'd be better off buying a running GSX.

Anyway, your question was, how difficult is it to convert to DOHC...its as difficult as doing a motor swap..You choose which motor....4G63 or 4G63T. If you wanna wait until summer 2010, i'll sell you the GS motor for $450. I'm going to be rebuilding the one that I had in my Talon.i think that is a little excessive since i'm sure he doesn't want to go thru the trouble of doing AWD. he'd have better luck just getting a gsx.

but i got a question with the highlighted part. why would his car NOT be able to handle certain power levels? i don't know much about eclipses but i think as far as the body is concerned i'm sure the power level isn't gonna affect it any.

froyotlbw88
01-05-2010, 03:34 AM
but i got a question with the highlighted part. why would his car NOT be able to handle certain power levels? i don't know much about eclipses but i think as far as the body is concerned i'm sure the power level isn't gonna affect it any.

i wasn't talking about the body of the car being able to manage it, i was more talking about the drivetrain. the bodies are exactly the same, but when upgrading to a gs-t, you'd want to upgrade certain parts such as the axles and you'd HAVE to change the whole transmission. The 1.8L and the 2.0L N/T use the same F5M22 transmission. The 2.0L Turbo tranny is the F5M33. Different trannies. That's only one reason why I feel that the 4G63 N/T would be the easiest swap. I'm not tryna discourage him from doing the gsx, but if he's looking to be economic and twin cam at the same time...thats the best route.

MidLifeCrisis
01-05-2010, 10:14 AM
\The 1.8L and the 2.0L N/T use the same F5M22 transmission. The 2.0L Turbo tranny is the F5M33. Different trannies.

Hmm, interesting to know. +6

*EFilliated*
01-05-2010, 02:22 PM
i say u get a honda and call it a day. u dont seem to know much about cars or motors in general, looking at your great abreveations DOCH(DOHC). and also the fact that tuning has nothing to do with swaping a motor unless you plan on racing and i dought that. but G/L honda is the way to go. and by the way your going to school i dought its gonna be easy for you to come up with the money and all the parts in a timely manner (i would know) :goodjob: G/L

MidLifeCrisis
01-05-2010, 02:33 PM
i say u get a honda and call it a day. u dont seem to know much about cars or motors in general, looking at your great abreveations DOCH(DOHC). and also the fact that tuning has nothing to do with swaping a motor unless you plan on racing and i dought that. but G/L honda is the way to go. and by the way your going to school i dought its gonna be easy for you to come up with the money and all the parts in a timely manner (i would know) :goodjob: G/L

I recommend you apply for a job as a high school counselor.

*EFilliated*
01-05-2010, 02:36 PM
lol funny guy :D

I recommend you apply for a job as a high school counselor.